Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 19:46   #1

Boat: Hardin 45 - Kindred Spirit
Blue Water Boats?

Hi,
I was wondering if those of you out there cruising could let me know what kind of boat you are on and where you've been? We're looking for a blue water boat, so I am trying to get an idea of models to consider. Some of the production boats claim to be 'blue water cruisers', but I am a little skeptical.
Thanks in advance....
almost_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 20:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Hey almost,

You might try searching around on the threads here. This topic is the number one item for new people and it's been done a few times more than a lot. It takes a while to come to the conclusion about which boat. It's not even really the proper first question either. It may seem that way but there is a lot more to it.

I'm more of the opinion is it's "which sailor"? What kind of sailor are you and what do you want to do and what have you done and how will you improve your skills and after all that I just have to think you'll be a whole lot better able to answer that question. So what kind of sailor are you. You need the boat just right for you. You'll suddenly just know the right boat. Maybe you'll think so any way. Some things are more of a journey than a destination. Sailing would be a clear example of it. Find a way to get started is best then work on that to get to another level and a better idea.

It's almost like saying you want to be a brain surgeon and what scalpel should I use to make the incision. Nothing wrong with the goal but it is a matter of getting there.

So take a walk around this place as there is a whole lot here to go through and hopefully help you get a step or two closer a little bit at a time. It really is how it works. Things lead to other things and the journey becomes the solution. It is after all a different way of thinking and why you may be so attracted to it.

Sailing has many dimensions and can be different for many people. We are not all the same or some time even alike but we share something. I sure can't pin down what it is exactly. We can't assume you are just like someone else.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 21:29   #3

Understood. I am not necessarily looking for someone to tell me what the right boat is for me....I am really just looking to see what the other cruisers are sailing. We've done a fair amount of research, but I suspect there are some models out there that I've never heard of that would make fine off shore boats. In Southern California, there is more than an abundance of Catalinas and if you ask the folks around here they will tell you they are great, but that doesn't necessarily mean this is the boat I want to go around the world. I am interested in hearing what the people out there living the dream are sailing on.
Old 09-06-2008, 22:37   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I think Paul has summmed it up perfectly.
As you'll see when you get out there - most people go cruising on the boat they have when they depart. And most are completely one eyed when arguing the virtues of what they have.
Most will argue about mon v multi, bigger v smaller, grp v steel, centre v aft cockpit, full keel v fin, less spacious v wide and open, fast v slow, sloop v ketch or yawls etc etc.
But whatever the set up it is at the end of the day down to the sailor and all have some advantages as well as some disadvatages.

Good luck
JOHN
Old 10-06-2008, 06:12   #5

I think a major consideration is the year built as well. To me, a 'blue water boat' is about the integrity of the hull. One can always get the standing rigging up to snuff if the hull is good. Because of the skepticism when fiberglass boats were first being built, they erred to the excessive (thick). They never thought these boats of the 60's and 70's would still be going strong.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
....I am really just looking to see what the other cruisers are sailing. We've done a fair amount of research, but I suspect there are some models out there that I've never heard of that would make fine off shore boats.
My boat of course is the world's best cruising boat. Just ask me - LOL.

Everyone around here loves to talk about and defend their Pet Rock.

A really good thread on what people around here are sailing can be found here titled "Your Boat"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-boat-259.html

Welcome aboard BTW!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:44   #7

If you are going to cross oceans or circumnavigate, you may well want/need something that fits someone's definition of extra strong classic bluewater boat.

But, since you asked for specific examples, we lived aboard and cruised the Bahamas/Caribbean for 2+ years on an '83 Hunter 34 and we found it well suited to this use. No one considers these to be bluewater boats. In my opinion you don't need a bombproof bluewater boat for this kind of cruising. There's nothing wrong with having one. But just about any Good Condition cruiser class boat is suitable for cruising the Bahamas/Caribbean, and most of the boats actually doing it are lighter weight production boats.

I don't know anything about southern California, but as others have pointed out, the location and type of cruising you plan to do can and should have a lot to say about the kind of boat you need/want. Catalinas are very popular in the Caribbean.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:11   #8

Boat: c&c landfall 43
everyone seems to be avoiding his original question (I think) which is one that I have been looking for is, some boat builders or boats have a so called stamp as a blue water certified boat, am I wrong? my guess for one would be westsail or valliant. hope I didnt hyjack this thread. cheers jeff
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:14   #9

Slomotion - thank you for answering the question I posted. My uncle sails his Hunter around So Cal and loves it as well!!

Ex-Calif, Thanks for the link! This is the type of info I was looking for...seems that may be the only place I can go to get answers. The intent of this post was to have a subset of these answers (i.e. people who are actually out there cruising).

Apparently, I've not asked the question correctly, based on the other answers, although I do appreciate the info. My intent was not to solicit advice....I was hoping for factual answers of pesonal experience. (i.e. I have a Hobicat and I've sailed from Antarctica to the moon). :-)

So, my apologies if I did not ask the question correctly.....
Old 10-06-2008, 08:23   #10

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
I live on a 1961 Palmer Johnson Bounty II. I just bought it march 25, and am preparing it for hawaii, this year, but it is a long-term so pac veteran, and has supposedly already been around the world. it's just a good, old, tough, ultra thick fiberglass boat with a huge, full, lead keel, and a keel stepped mast. it's been outfitted with 4 solar panels, a wind generator, a watermaker, wind vane, gps/radar, SSB, windlass, and all of the other goodies. you can read some more about it here:
The Boat | Open Blue Horizon | Boat, Which, Feet, Hawaii, Ne

Bounty II's were finished by Rhodes, Pearson and Palmer Johnson, so if you find a Rhodes 41 or Pearson 41, it COULD be the same thing.
good luck in your search, i was in your shoes just a few months ago
Old 10-06-2008, 08:37   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if those of you out there cruising could let me know what kind of boat you are on and where you've been?....
To answer your specific question...

The boat is a 2001 Island Packet 380.

Cruising history:
Chesapeake Bay cruising (four seasons)
Hampton Roads, Va to Bermuda and back
Hampton Roads, Va to BVI (offshore, twice)
USVI to Bahamas (Abacos), then around Hatteras to Chesapeake Bay
Lesser Antilles (PR to Grenada, several circuits)
Old 10-06-2008, 09:23   #12

Boat: 15' wetboat named 'the boat'
Thanks for asking a question I haven't been brave enough to ask. I have seen the question asked and usually answered with "do your research". It seems to me that is the point in asking. You are researching what other people are doing with different boats and how it's working for them. And yeah, it makes sense that people who are NEW to the sport would be asking this question. It is a bit of a cleft stick, eh? Don't ask til you know. But by then, you don't really need to ask.
isbolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:38   #13

Boat: outremer
Ronnie, that's a nice website you have there. I think it's very cool for you to be able to embark on such an ambitious voyage in your 20's! I wish I could do it right now

dvinfo.net has a great forum if you ever need advice on cameras

sorry for the hijack..
svrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:40   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Here we go again

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 14:31   #15

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
I sail an Amigo 40. A 6 ton double ender of 31 feet.

/Hampus