Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 09:39   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Biggest Mooring Pendant Available?

Hello, I'm looking for a pre-made mooring pendant and the biggest I seem to be finding are 1" in diameter. For example, the biggest Yale Maxi-Moor II on their website is 1" and rated for boats up to 41". Although that is roughly the size of my boat I would like to go up a size for a greater safety margin. Does anyone have a source or recommendation for something bigger? What do people with 50+ foot boats use for mooring pendants? Thanks
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:52   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Biggest Mooring Pendant Available?

1" should be adequate for your boat. Use 2 for redundancy, with one set slightly slack as insurance.

You might also look at adding the Dyneema New England Ropes Cyclone Mooring Pendant with Chafe Guard
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:31   #3

Fair enough, but I can't say I love hearing words like "should" and "adequate" for moorings. I'd prefer terms like "overkill" and "whopping".

The Dyneema Cyclone ones do seem to be about twice as strong for the same diameter, but they're also twice the price. I've got big enough cleats and hawse-holes, so a 1.25" or 1.5" polydyne line might be just as strong and a good deal cheaper.

I guess people with boats over 41' generally have a splice put in rather than buying the pre-made ones?
Old 21-09-2016, 13:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

One inch line is more than adequate for anything less than an aircraft carrier. If you want peace of mind, install a 2nd mooring pendant so both would have to chafe through to have your boat go walk about.

AmSteel Blue 5/8" has a breaking strength of 52,800#. Seems like ample strength if you want to downsize your line a bit but increase strength. In a pinch, one line could lift your boat out of the water.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 13:53   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you want a pendant that is definitiively strong enough to secure your boat in storms, then you'll need something more than 1". The math behind this was posted here on the forums about 2 months back, & it confirms what some of the operators of mooring fields in the NE have stated about pendant sizes. Who commented in Professional Boatbuilder magazine that dual 1" pendants were about the minimum required for serious storm usage. Check back issues from the early 2000's for this.

It has to do with the amount of energy you're asking a line to absorb within length X, given diameter Y, & based on the line's stretch characteristics. All of which can be caluclated, exactly as is done for snubbers. At least when people know how to do this math, & take the time to run the calc's.

And in this circumstance you're asking the line to do a job akin to that of a snubber, but in a much shorter length of line. So that in order for the line to be able to absorb that much energy, it'll have to be significantly thicker. As a snubber for the same boat would be significantly longer, though a bit thinner.

The rope isn't tough to source. For if naught else you can contact the manufacturer. Who no doubt also would be happy to splice you whatever diameter line, into whatever configuration you'd like. In addition to being able to well advise you what would work best: Which, you'll probably need to narrow down your parameters a bit more than has been stated herein on this.

Plus you could talk to a few Good rigging shops & ask them the same questions, along with getting them to splice up whatever you like. Though on something like this I'd inquire as to their history of assembling such lines/pendants, given their critical nature. You don't want to lose a thimble at the wrong moment due to a loose splice. And you may also want a thimble which has built in retaining features. Ask the pro's.

BTW, this ain't a place to be squeemish about spending coin Nor to quit asking questions until you're fully at ease with your knowledge base, as well as being comfortable with your solution choices. And it makes sense to have daily use pendants as well as a few reserved for storms. So that the latter don't get worn out before they're truly needed. Also, ensure that there's plenty of serious chafe protection on these, to include some of the purpose built materials for such.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 13:59   #6

You want some stretch in your anchor bridle and/or mooring pendant. Dyneema does't stretch. While it may be stronger, you're potentially transferring too much shock-load onto your cleats and chocks.

The same applies to oversizing you pendant. Too large a line will not be able to be stretched by boat if the line is oversized.

1" is too large. If you want security, double, triple or quadruple the pendants.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 14:03   #7

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Ask in a professional fisheries supply store. They should have all the right info as to where to get large diameter Dyneema and the like.

http://ladyrover.jimdo.com/photo-log...hannel-beyond/
Old 21-09-2016, 15:03   #8

get the lines made with a mooring compensator
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 15:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
BTW, this ain't a place to be squeemish about spending coin Nor to quit asking questions until you're fully at ease with your knowledge base, as well as being comfortable with your solution choices.

You said it... Truly one of the great combined joy-frustrations of boat ownership that the most seemingly straightforward concerns often have the most complex answers.

Some are saying 1" inch is too big and others say not big enough. According to the Yale Cordage website, their pre-made tether (recommended by my marina) is suitable for boats up to 41'. My boat is 41 feet (if you count the bowsprit) and has the added windage of a pilothouse. So it seemed logical to go "one size up". I'm just not quite sure what that is, and maybe it's not necessary.

I also agree that redundancy is the best security, and the best security is redundancy.
Old 21-09-2016, 15:25   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Fair enough, but I can't say I love hearing words like "should" and "adequate" for moorings. I'd prefer terms like "overkill" and "whopping".

The Dyneema Cyclone ones do seem to be about twice as strong for the same diameter, but they're also twice the price. I've got big enough cleats and hawse-holes, so a 1.25" or 1.5" polydyne line might be just as strong and a good deal cheaper.

I guess people with boats over 41' generally have a splice put in rather than buying the pre-made ones?
Dyneema is also more chafe resistant than Polyester. Those are designed to be used in series with your 1" poly lines as the final link that goes over your cleats and hawse-holes. The Dyneema is for chafe protection, the Poly-Nylon is for stretch and shock absorption. 1" will be overkill, so long as they don't chafe. Chafe is the enemy.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 08:43   #11

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Hello, I'm looking for a pre-made mooring pendant and the biggest I seem to be finding are 1" in diameter. For example, the biggest Yale Maxi-Moor II on their website is 1" and rated for boats up to 41". Although that is roughly the size of my boat I would like to go up a size for a greater safety margin. Does anyone have a source or recommendation for something bigger? What do people with 50+ foot boats use for mooring pendants? Thanks
I got the Novabraid 1.25" from Defender. I could moor a battleship with them. Cheaper than Yale and on sale at Defender now.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 12:12   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Spice up some three strand nylon. double up. They will give you the stretch you need laying on a mooring. One inch would probably be more than adequate.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring