Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:55   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Mooring pendant twist

Hi Folks,

CrazyOldBoatGuy's thread got me thinking - how do you all tie up to your mooring?

My mooring itself is all chain, heavy chain attached to the mushroom, then a lighter chain up to the buoy. I have two pendants. On the buoy side they are spliced around stainless thimbles, these are then attached via a big fat chain shackle to the mooring chain. There is anti-chafe material on the bottom 3' of line, and the upper 3' where they go through the bow chocks, and where they may encounter the anchor. (As far as interference with the anchor goes, my strategy in this regard seems inadequate after checking this out: Mooring Preparation & Precautions Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com)

One pendant is lead through the port bow chock, the other through the starboard.

The biggest problem I have is every weekend when I show up the lines have wrapped around each other several times, I assume from the boat swinging around the mooring. I feel like if I wasn't on top of this every weekend it could end up causing a problem.

Anyone use a swivel on top of their mooring ball? Any fear of that becoming the weak point? What's better, stainless, with it's pit-falls (ha! pun intended), or galvanized? Wouldn't a galvanized swivel just wear away its coating in a hurry?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Mooring pendant twist

We used a swivel on ours. Not one of those BS ones that looks like a bolt welded into a loop. Get a decent one like in the photo, but not the cheapo ones. This is the weakest link. Not stainless! Ours was un-galvanized. We lubricated it with Anhydrous Woolfat ie Lanolin, pure, thick lanolin. It lasts about 6 months. We hung an anode attached to the swivel shackle with wire.

Our mooring was a 2m x 2m x 1m Concrete block weighing 9 tons, (7 underwater) There was a 1 1/4 bar cast into it. We passed a 3/4" chain through a 6' long re-enforced plastic pipe, to stop the chain hooking up on the corners of the block. This chain was about 50' and then the swivel anode setup, to a 1/2" chain of 20 ft that came over the bow roller and into the chain-claw, which was fixed to the bitts via 2 x 1 1/2" nylon bridle.

I attached a 1/2" line to the last link and it was attached to a fishermans float.

To leave the mooring, I would loop the line and float out of the pulpit, and then dump the chain from the claw. Sail away. On return, we would approach the float, hook it with a boat hook, and pull it over the bow roller, take turns on the windlass, and use the capstan drum to raise the chain up over the roller onto the deck, attach the claw, and stop engines.
Attached Images

Tags
mooring