Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51   #1366

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I would probably roll out some kind of rubber non skid matting to protect the finish from any scratches any time I used the counters.

We had one long SS bench installed in our most recent house. It does actually develop a nice patina with use. When it is matt finished, any scuffing just adds in time to the matt look. I took no particular care, other than not cutting on it (and that was mainly because I didn't want my knives bluntened). It was super practical.

Thin non skid (or a silicone sheet) is extremely handy though if the boat is rolling around. I always put a piece down when sailing, as objects don't then skid around if I am preparing drinks or food. Also, drips and minor spills don't make the work surface even more slippery. It washes easily. I am planning to line all the drawers and shelves with it as well. Just be careful when buying non skid - some of it looks identical to the better products, but doesn't work nearly as well. I bought some once not realising this and it slipped all over the place. The good stuff can be bought cheaply by the metre from carpet stores where it is sold for use under rugs.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:05   #1367

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Scratches are usually easy to sand out. Fortunately, you are not burdened with a bone-headed husband ( all sympathy to my long suffering wife) who cleans winches in the galley, among many other inappropriate tasks.

Look great! And clearly you will have space for some awesome culinary creations. Never seems to be enough counter space whenever we cook something involved onboard.

Cheers!!!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:41   #1368

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Scratches are usually easy to sand out. Fortunately, you are not burdened with a bone-headed husband ( all sympathy to my long suffering wife) who cleans winches in the galley, among many other inappropriate tasks.

Look great! And clearly you will have space for some awesome culinary creations. Never seems to be enough counter space whenever we cook something involved onboard.

Cheers!!!
Someone has already mentioned it would make an excellent surface to solder on
Good job he has about 3m of his own bench space in the workshop .

Old 12-07-2017, 12:24   #1369

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The interior is really taking shape now that the galley is in and the ceilings in the salon/galley and front cabin are near completed.

This is the view of the salon (minus dining table and Reflex heater still, which will take up a fair bit of the space) and the galley. Note the 5 substantial inspection hatches in the fuel tanks:

The bench tops are all in place. I should be able to wedge myself nicely here without feeling hemmed in. The open plan layout relative to the pilothouse can be seen clearly. The pilothouse roof actually extends substantially over the galley, giving a fabulous feeling of space. The central cardboard covered bench is the one with the twin sinks shown in post # 1362. Kitchen bench space is always at a premium, but I think in this case it should be just adequate

The splash back for the GN Espace oven that is yet to come has not been secured. The oven will have a handrail across the front of it. The green plastic is covering the stainless steel lining on all 4 sides of the cavity:

Old 12-07-2017, 13:25   #1370
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The ergonomics of the galley is really great!
Secure but open island workstation that maximizes help from 3 sides in a social way.

Love the drawers!

I am sure you are already tasting that first meal for just the two of you!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 13:37   #1371

How have they insulated the boat?
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 13:51   #1372

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Oh, that's incredibly beautiful looking! I love the layout and wood choice. Look how nice they finished even the aluminum cabin sole supports!

Is your main electrical panel going in the bulkhead next to the stove, or is all of it going in the under phouse storage utility area?

Matt
Old 12-07-2017, 13:59   #1373

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
How have they insulated the boat?
75mm of foam has been sprayed on the ceiling and the hull down to floor level. This has also been added to most internal walls.

Old 12-07-2017, 14:15   #1374

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Oh, that's incredibly beautiful looking! I love the layout and wood choice. Look how nice they finished even the aluminum cabin sole supports!

Is your main electrical panel going in the bulkhead next to the stove, or is all of it going in the under phouse storage utility area?

Matt
Thanks Matt.

It is such a pleasure seeing plans come to life. You don't know how long I spent doodling and dreaming about some of the details .

Yes, that will be our main electric panel in the framed space to the rear of the stove. We will have high quality double poled DIN rail mounted circuit breakers. The advantage of this is that the breakers can easily be replaced or added to. While very practical, they are more industrial looking, so will be covered by a Bubinga door.

The breakers will back directly into the technical area, as will the long bank of instruments in the pilothouse, making access very easy.

SWL

Old 12-07-2017, 14:16   #1375

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am sure you are already tasting that first meal for just the two of you!
Home made pizza .

Old 12-07-2017, 14:25   #1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
75mm of foam has been sprayed on the ceiling and the hull down to floor level. This has also been added to most internal walls.
75mm is a nice amount. Anything under the sole? From what I've seen most only go down to water level but there have been some who have gone down further and under the cabin sole as they have experienced issues in colder climes.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 14:31   #1377

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The ergonomics of the galley is really great!
Secure but open island workstation that maximizes help from 3 sides in a social way.

Love the drawers!
A closer look at the smallest drawers. They are all the same solid timber construction, even the ones under the bed and guest bed. The timber trim behind the stove is just loose still. There is a deep cavity on the hull side of the benches where commonly used items can be securely stored:

Old 12-07-2017, 14:34   #1378
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I like that design style, what do they call it.
...Butcher Block?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 14:37   #1379

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
75mm is a nice amount. Anything under the sole? From what I've seen most only go down to water level but there have been some who have gone down further and under the cabin sole as they have experienced issues in colder climes.
Nothing under the sole, but this area is nearly filled with fuel and water tanks, providing a bit of a buffer against sea temperature. If we end up spending significant time in colder areas, we will use either thick rugs underfoot, or even closed cell foam.

A friend had a funny tale about picking up a reindeer skin in Norway for this purpose. It ended up being inadequately tanned so his cabin reeked all winter, but his toes were warm .

SWL

Old 12-07-2017, 14:47   #1380

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I like that design style, what do they call it.
...Butcher Block?
Not sure, but they used this design on the drawers of the previous 49 footer. The drawers are solid wood, constructed with tongue and groove joints. As well as a description, I added photos of these drawers to the specifications so it was super clear what was wanted.

SWL