Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 09:48   #1

Boat: Freedom 30
Balmar ARS 5 Regulator function

I have subject regulator installed and programmed appropriately for my set up but I have a question re the "start delay" setting.

per Balmar tech info

"After engine startup, the regulator waits for several seconds before applying field current to the alternator. This allows the engine and belts an opportunity to warm up before the alternator load is applied."

As many Balmar users may know the start delay is adjustable in programming. I have mine set for a 60 second delay. I want the engine running and oil circulating before I load it up.

There is also a "soft ramp" function. The soft ramp slowly increases field current to the alt so you don't get a big immediate load on belt and engine once the start delay has timed out.

My question for one of the experts is what triggers the start of the start delay time? Same question re soft ramp. Do both timers start by virtue of

1. Powering up the regulator itself - start delay timer starts followed by soft ramp
or
2. some sensor in the regulator which senses the rotation of the alternator or whatever. So it knows the engine is running and to start the timer. (The more I think about it the less likely 2. sounds)

This is important to me because, on my boat, the regulator is switched separately from the ignition switch. In other words, I switch the regulator on as part of my start up routine, The problem is if the regulator power up starts the "start delay" and I turn the regulator on a few moments before I actually start the engine, both delays may have timed out and I am back to full load at start.

The reason I am asking is my serpentine belt is occasionally squealing at start up. It is a fairly new belt and I have double checked tension against mfg specification. My suspicion is the regulator start delay is timing out before the engine is actually running.

An easy solution is to start the engine, then turn the regulator on. I have done this several times and works very well, no squealing, but it would be nice to know exactly how the timer works.

Thoughts anyone?
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar, fun, regulator