Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2008, 17:36   #1

Alan Gurney's Competition 1000

Hello again! I heard from Bob Perry's (terse) reply that I have a Competition 1000 half-tonner sailboat designed by Alan Gurney. I've scoured the Internet looking for any book, magazine or article that may contain any information about this design and came up empty... even more so than when I thought it was a Dick Carter designed boat!

Does anybody have any information on this design or know of any way to find it?

Thank you in advance...
spidey1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 03:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
SailboatData doesn't list a Competition 1000 for Gurney. Notwithstanding, I expect Bob Perry would know.

Alan Gurney,NA Sailboat Designs:
Sailboat Designs of Alan*Gurney

CARIB 41 (1970)
ISLANDER 36 (1971)
ISLANDER 41 (1972)
O'DAY 27 (1972)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 09:05   #3
cruiser

"terse"?
You are welcome.
What do you want me to say? You asked me to identify the boat and I did. I told you what I know. If it were my design or a Carter design I could give you more info but it is not. Here's a bit more. It was never a fast boat in the half ton class. It was not as fast as the San Juan 30 designed bt Bruce Kirby. I have never seen another of this model. Today I fnd it one of those quirky old IOR boats and I will always have a sift spot for the boats of that era. I think it is a good looking example of the breed and I am dead certain my identification is correct.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 00:10   #4

Bob, "terse" as in short & direct, not meant in a negative way...

Thanks again, for the information, I'm still scouring every site I can think of & will head to a marine shop tomorrow to see if they may know where to find information.

I certainly don't doubt your identification of the boat, as you were fairly sure, right away, what it was. It seems as if there exists no online information, or in any books that I can find...so far.

I did find some racing numbers for a "Competition 1000" but I'm not sure if anybody else had named a boat similarly.
spidey1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 09:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Spidey: I think what Mr. Perry is telling you, tersely and gently, is that you have a one-of-a-kind boat. Since it wasn't particularly outstanding at its designed purpose, there is no sister ship. You can confirm this by trying to track back through Coast Guard Records using the hull number if you have one. I'm guessing this won't find anything.

Fear not. You are not alone. There are possibly thousands of one of a kind boats out there, but if they aren't off-the-charts-wierd they are not any more difficult to own and maintain. If you can get past not finding replacements that fit the existing screw holes (like every other old boat owner) You are in good shape. You can fine everything you need off the shelf.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 09:24   #6
cruiser

I've been called a lot worse than "terse". I can take it.
No Sandy, you are wrong (he said tersely). The competition 1000 was a production boat with a very limited run of production. I don't know how many were built but I would think with some diligent detective work you might be able to find another. I would start by going thru some old mags from around 1974 and see if you can get any info on the builder. Something in the back of my clutterred mind tells me this boat was built in the SF area. Maybe call Joclyn Nash, the sailmaker, in SF and ask her. I think she is at Quantum sail there. If not Quantum would know where she is now.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 14:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Nobody does wrong any better than me!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 13:30   #8

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Competition1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1170 View Post
Hello again! I heard from Bob Perry's (terse) reply that I have a Competition 1000 half-tonner sailboat designed by Alan Gurney. I've scoured the Internet looking for any book, magazine or article that may contain any information about this design and came up empty... even more so than when I thought it was a Dick Carter designed boat!

Does anybody have any information on this design or know of any way to find it?

Thank you in advance...
Here's a photo of the prototype that someone posted. Alan Gurney Competition 1000

rb
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 07:28   #9

Re: Alan Gurney's Competition 1000

thunderbolt here, been on safari but did manage to hoist the golleywobblers on the alan guerney comp. 1000. it really does everything an old 1 half tonnerwas supposed to.its for sail sale.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 13:17   #10

Re: Alan Gurney's Competition 1000

Hi all
well, I have an Alan Gurney question which i hope will not be too long winded...
anyway, i am looking at buying a boat that the broker is calling a "Concordia 36" Broker says she was built to an Alan Gurney design in 1977 at the yards that build the famous Concordia boats...so anyway, i don't know a hell of a lot about this, but i thought that the construction of the Concordias what at A + R in Germany and then they were sort of fitted out in Padanarum. (sp?) anyway, i am looking at this boat and kinda thinking that Gurney probably designed this and the Padanarum yard probably built her and that they were hoping that she would do better but she didn't so they did not make more of her, but that she probably sales decently enough for the price and will get me on the water with some modicum...of safety...and pleasure--does anyone know anything more about this or have any suggestions for me?
thanks very much
Max
Glide2277 is offline   Reply With Quote