Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2015, 12:29   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: Advice for sailing Oriental, NC to Beaufort, NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul54 View Post
Hi Azul,
Are there just dinghy docks, or is there some place to tie up (dock) a 36 foot boat temporarily? If so where are they? I go there often and would love a place to temporarily dock.

Also to the OP. Every time I have gone through the ICW, I have seen dolphins between markers 38 and 35. As others have said, after you do Beaufort be sure to head out to Cape Lookout and anchor over night in the bight.

Have fun.
The dock master may let you tie up on the outside pier if you are going to dinner if there is plenty of space not in use. In front of Queen Anne's Revenge, there is enough room for a large boat to dock temporarily, but it's about like flying into a box canyon with a 500 foot ceiling in a small plane if the current is running.

There are at least three places to tie up a dinghy: the dinghy dock is furthest east, QAR and there is a small town dock near Fin's where the public bathrooms are.

Grabbing a mooring ball and taking your dinghy in is the easiest way. I've got a slip in a marina within easy access to Front Street, it is easier for me to take my 15 foot Boston Whaler over than to drive.

Another option is Morehead City's temporary dock next to Jack's (easily identified as they are putting a second floor on the building right now.) You can put a pretty large boat there for up to four hours.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 09:45   #17

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34

"Hope you never need help when cursing in New England! With your response to his one I don't think many would want you here"

I asked NashuaSteve to respond as to why he posted such a harsh and mean-spirited response. Its been about 30 hours and I haven't heard back so I am bringing this to the group

I had responded to the request for info with the following:
"I just went from Beaufort to Oriental. There's a big sandbar on the N side of Beaufort sound that is marked navigable. Be careful and stay to the West of it. The only sailing I did was on the Neuse River. The rest was motoring. Have fun. I did it alone (Beaufort to Havre de Grace). The ICW required great vigilance and the weather was pretty hot and humid. More wind would have been nice too."

It seems to me that I offered some navigational information, shared some personal information about my first successful long trip alone and some comments about the ICW. I don't see anything meriting such a cruel response.
What am I missing that would cause such flaming? And why has no one called out NashuaSteve on such cruelness? I read about members being admonished for much less harsh comments. I would like to remain on the cruisers forum, but need some more feedback. Or sanctioning/censuring of NashuaSteve.

Not many in New England would want me there? I sailed in Northern New England for 25 years and had no problems! Enjoyed warm lasting friendships and a supportive and friendly community of sailors - whom I believe would be happy to see me back, which I intend to do. And I will ask for assistance with cruising information from them or here as needed - because I don't see that what I said was so horrible. I don't get it. And I don't understand the lack of response from the group.

As for "Hope you never need help when cursing in New England!" - I lived in Northern Vt, and Southern NH and sailed Lake Champlain and the NH and Maine seacoast. And I never needed help with cursing, Steve.
In fact, Steve, GO **** YOURSELF.
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 09:53   #18
Marine Service Provider

Oh Joy. I have no idea why SteveNashua wrote such a weird response but it happens here all the time. So what? Why should you care? The funny thing here is that both of you were supposedly referring to cruising and you both wrote cursing! Why you got so upset with his comments, only you can say, but really--who cares? So you want him admonished, censured or sanctioned of who knows what? For writing a silly and impertinent response? So then you turn around and use curse words--yes CURSE--not cruise words and you think he's out of line? Seriously? Why is any of this necessary--from the two of you? Telling him to ++++ +++++++?? Oh lord, another day and irony prevails here....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:13   #19

Boat: Vancouver 27

It's a pretty little stretch. Agree about always seeing dolphins along the way, a couple ups and down now and they haven't failed me yet!

And just think, after the ICW, ocean passages are even easier! No worries about all the traffic and groundings..
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:45   #20

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34

TY for your perspective, Paul. I know I was using "curse" and not "cruise" and used it as liberty to vent my hurt and anger.
It won't happen again.
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:59   #21

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

It's an easy trip, perfect for skill building. The water around the confluence of Adams creek and neuse river is shoal. Make sure you are clear on where the channel is there, it's not a straight shot.

If you're new on the ICW, make sure you're looking aft also to stay in the channel. There is a range marker in there somewhere.

Anchoring, especially with no experience, can be challenging in Taylor creek. It can be crowded and full of mooring balls. I don't know what the status of the moorings is now, I sure used to. I would consider them fair weather moorings. I rode out a tropical storm once in town creek, on the other side. Several boats in Taylor ended up washed up.

You'll be fine, just keep your towing insurance current and enjoy the trip. Great advice to head to south river some for anchoring experience. I love oriental and all, but Beaufort has an inlet. And more. But the exit to sea is a pretty important feature for sailors.....

Beaufort grocery is prob my favorite. I like their Cobb salad for lunch.

cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:50   #22

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

I do like Beaufort inlet. Very deep and easy to navigate. When conditions are right it can be as little as a half days sail to get out into the Gulf Stream.
Old 26-06-2015, 18:20   #23

I'm in Pecan Grove in Oriental and may be going to Cape Lookout if it's not too hot. When going to Beaufort just note that you're not sailing, Just motoring the whole way once you cross the Neuse and enter the creek. Best advise I could give is to time your arrival to Beaufort Docks during slack tide. Anything else and you'll need more experience and deck and dock hands. Also, if you're spending that time going to Beaufort, I'd recommend the additional hour+ and check out Cape Lookout, great anchoring and a great place to be. You can then come back on to Beaufort for the night if it's too hot, I may do that.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Luken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 16:44   #24

Boat: PSC 37

I lived in Beaufort for six years. I envy you! Have a burger "all the way" at the Royal James, and drinks for sure at Beaufort a Grocery. I've been craving their fresh peach daiquiris!

We spent quite a few afternoons pulling people off the shoals between the ICW and Morehead. Careful in there!

An Ocean Lover in Maine.

Tags
beaufort, sail, sailing