Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2012, 16:19   #31

Re: A Lesson in Boat Buying

· the asking price for what it is Seems pretty good, but if that is the asking price, Offer less!
· what upgrades/replacements we’d need right away to make it ready for cruising in the Caribbean (i.e. rigging is original but I understand usually needs to be replaced every 10 years or so; main and genoa were replaced in 2011; electronics are original so when should I expect to have to replace them) The boat is only 6 years old, I wouldnt likley even worry about the rigging until atleast 12 years old, assuming it looks good. You will want a good GPS/chartplotter. Radar is nice. The Carribean (eastern is easy cruising)
· what you think of the existing equipment for the size of boat (i.e. 75 hp Yanmar with 4230 hours as of 5/11;
The motor is a turkey shoot, in some ways a motor that gets used regulrly may be better than one that sits too much. But that's getting to be a lot of hours for a Yanmar. I say run it until it dies as long you are staying in the eastern carribean.
ground tackle is two Delta’s – doesn’t specify all chain or rope and chain – probably the latter since it is BVI; tankage for fuel and water for five people; stuff like that The anchors are good if they look good, I also assume the boat has a windlass and at least on rode is all chain. Inspect all that as it's had a good workout. You want one good chain rode of at least 20 feet with nylon spliced behind that.
· what additional equipment we’d need to purchase (i.e. dinghy and outboard, liferaft etc) as I think a charter boat is pretty basic as far as equipment goes but what do I know. I'm not sure what they use now, but most charter boats I've chartered have engine drive refrigeration (that way the charterers dont run the batteries flat!) This will work but you'd be better with 12v fridge. You will need a battery charging system; Solar, wind, high amp alternator. How much of each depends on the room you have to mount it.
· if you have ballpark price estimates for all that, that would be awesome but just a bonus
Sheets might be well worn etc. You will need extra block , 4 way preventer etc. Most charter boats dont have much. At least a 10ft RIB dingy and 15 hp motor.... again it depends on your dingy stowage scheme. You dont need a whole bunch of Offshore safety stuff for the Caribe really.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 02:07   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Cheechako reminded me of the dinghy - the ex-charter boats come without a dinghy. Sunsail/Moorings in the BVI gets a bulk dinghy delivery and if you happen to be aruond when those arrive you might might get an excellent deal on a used dinghy, otherwise you will need to get at least a 9.8HP (2-stroke) Tohatsu or similar plus a hard-bottomed Caribe.
I made the mistake of outfitting and repairing in the BVI once. Prices just 70nm to the east in St. Martin are roughly half and you have Island Waterworld and Budget Marine plus a whole townful of businesses servicing the yachting industry there.
Old 20-10-2012, 10:25   #33

St Martin is good for buying a dingy for sure. I dont know what's wrong with my Font size. My answers above were supposed to be in Bold... sorry it's so confusing.... WTF?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying