Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 18:19   #1

31' Trumbly, 1979 information

I have been looking at boats a few I ended up letting get away from me. I have now ran across This Trumbly Seawind 31' while searching for Allied Seawinds. Basically I'm trying to get some information on it. I'm having quite a difficult time locating any. While searching Google I ran across two that were for sale but had conflicting data. Any help would be appreciated.
FlynMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 17:22   #2

Re: 31' Trumbly, 1979 information

Any body know anything? I know it has a 5'9" draft and that's about it. Just looking for something to go on...
Old 05-06-2014, 17:32   #3

I know everything you need to know, built one from scratch. Put my heart and soul in it for 2.5 years. It's a defective design. Terrible weatherhelm caused not by sail placement but underwater profile. I have met and talked with Joe a few times... would imagine he's gone now. More of a boatbuilder than designer and seemed to have the attitude.."let's try this.." shooting from the hip without much science applied, seemed my impression. JMHO Really liked him though!
The boat has a narrow entry and kind of sharp edge forward of the keel, a deep keel and then wide flat sections aft. My theory is that the forward digs in and the stern skates around the keel. When new shortly after launch I actually broke a steering cable trying to to steer the boat in 20 knots of close reach. The boat would not turn!
I knew the boys who built them also. Too bad some very nicely finished ones out there. It's ok under maybe 15 knots of wind max. after that unpredictable.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:15   #4

So I'm guessing I should definitely avoid that one. Thank you for the heads up
Old 07-06-2014, 09:22   #5

Is there any way to make it safer? I'm contemplating getting it to give to my little brother just to mess with.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:44   #6

I really don't know. I tried moving the sail plan, adding a bowsprit etc, but it seems to be related to wetted surface area and or drag inequality fore and aft of the keel/centerline. I spent many nights worrying about it and trying to figure it out after spending years building it. My suspicion is you need to keep the boat very flat. I often wondered if making it shoal draft would improve it somehow. There are a lot of cheap boats around, why buy a defect?
BTW, where are you and where is the one you are looking at? Maybe I know the boat.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:16   #7

The boats in Tampa right now and I'm actually in Texas. It's not that I want the boat I've just been in a since suckered already to get it. I put down on it because it was advertised as a Allied. And instead of going to go to court to get my money back I figured I'd just get it. My little brother lives right there in Tampa so I figured just let him get it.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:20   #8

Bummer, well I guess it comes down to how much money. Have you tried telling the owner you want your money back based on you thought it was the Allied?
How much money is involved? a $350 letter from a lawyer may get results. Otherwise, I guess you just have to try the boat out and see if it's useful.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:45   #9

I have 5k rapped in it right now. Which really isn't bad. I haven't asked for it back but did tell them I was going to just try to sell it. They said they would show it for me. I was trying not to make the situation worse. This all happened this week actually. I flew down there Sunday and after looking at it better realized what I wasn't getting. It was actually a post you posted a year ago that I found out what the boat actually was.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:57   #10

was the total price 5K? Broker? any paperwork noting a sea trial or inspection?

Old 07-06-2014, 12:00   #11

Yes sir the total price I gave is 5k. I went down there the engine runs fine the wiring is a rats nest. It has ac but doesn't work from what I could tell. Inside isn't the best but isn't the worst that I've seen.
Old 07-06-2014, 13:39   #12

No I went through an individual and there was no trial. I really just took their word for what they said which is my mistake completely.
Old 07-06-2014, 14:04   #13

The hulls are built super stout. Most were home finished, so the rest depends on how much the yard did and how much the owner did. Some were built with cambered inside floors... so in theory you always were standing on a flat floor at heel. I think 14 hulls were made. Didn't realize any got that far from the PNW.
Got any pics/links?
Later: Never mind, I found the ad. The specs on the design have "all the right stuff". Long waterline, wide beam with a hard chine on part of the beam.
I got mine in '78... it's been many years and I was a neophyte. Maybe the mast location was changed after mine and I was doing something wrong... sail it flat and don't try to round the world in it and you may be fine!

Old 07-06-2014, 14:29   #14

Sorry it's dirty inside

Old 07-06-2014, 14:59   #15

Do they have hin numbers? This one is registered with the coast guard but I couldn't find any hin numbers

Tags
rum