Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2011, 19:46   #1

Boat: 1967 26ft Sailstar - Lillypad
Send a message via Skype™ to erinsavov
1967 Sailstar and Wishbone Rigging

Hello Hello Everyone,
I have a 1967-68 24ft or 26 with bowsprit Sailstar boat. I have not been able to find much information on the internet. Does anyone else have this model?
Also, the original owner who still lives on the island put on wishbone rigging. I have not found anything useful to help me know how to properly use this type of rigging.
I am a newbie to sailing and this is my first boat. I have crewed on two other boats and have more offshore experience than daysailing. Totally backwards I know!
Basically if anyone has this type of boat and/or knows something about wishbone rigging I'd appreciate any links and advice you've got to share.
Sorry as to the confusing regarding the year and length. The info is from the original owner versus the guy I'm buying it from.
Thank you!
Erin
erinsavov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 22:11   #2

Boat: Bristol Sailstar, Courier, 26
Re: 1967 Sailstar and Wishbone Rigging

A wishbone rig is a rig having a mast that actually looks like a huge turkey's wishbone. Is that what you have? Because Sail-star never built any boats like that, Mine is a 26 ft "courier", a masthead rig sloop, having a spade rudder and a longer "skeg keel". Sail-star also built a 24ft long keel, integral hung rudder, "corsair" in the early 1960s. They both came with 30 ft high , deck stepped masts, and 12 ft long booms. Yes a lot of canvas for a 5-to 7 ton yacht, I agree. should you buy this boat I would be glad to help you find the components to rig her correctly. The wishbone rig is pretty much a fisherman special as far as I know of it.
Old 21-07-2013, 07:28   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

dlblandjr's post confuses me.
The Sailstar I recall was, I believe, a Carl Alberg design. Don't know who made it.
The Corsair I think was manufactured by Bristol.
A wishbone rig is a type of boom. Both Nonsuch and Freedom used them, Freedom only on some models. Googling those manufacturers should produce some pictures which could help you.
Old 21-07-2013, 09:05   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Erin, if you could post some photos of what you have it would help us help you... maybe!

There seems to be some confusion about what a "wishbone rig" is in your case.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-11-2013, 10:45   #5

Boat: Bristol Sailstar, Courier, 26

SailStar was a 1960's manufacturer, a boat building company, that was bought out by Clinton Pearson; and then run as both Sailstar Boat and Bristol Yacht Companies for several years. So the "Corsair" was designed by Paul Coble, I had one, it was 24' LOA sloop, built on a traditional long or full keel. The "Courier" was designed by Halsey Herreshoff, also built by both Sailstar and Bristol, in the 1960's, this is a 26' LOA and 21 LWL masthead rigged sloop, I have 2 of them now. one older 1967, one newer 1974, So I am kinda familiar with these boats and stuff about them, eh? I have rebuild most every part of both of them in the last 20 years, myself, not boatyard hired jobs, eh? So if one looks on www.sailboatdata.com one can find pertinent dats which we have accumulated on these fine vessels! Thanks and fair winds, eh?
Old 17-11-2013, 11:03   #6

try googling Wishbone rig maybe you can glean some tips from the pictures. I think not every wishbone rig is the same... https://www.google.com/search?q=wish...w=1366&bih=556

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging