Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 01:55   #121

Boat: Knight & Carver 75'
Smile Re: 10 hours at sea after handover major problems

I vote we all go have a cool beverage of choice and forget about this until Snowdrop (love that name) comes back on with some facts.
Old 28-05-2015, 02:28   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: 10 hours at sea after handover major problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
Right...the ol'e Square-Cube law....the reason that an ant has such thin legs in proportion to its form, compared to an elephant, or taking it further, look how nature had to increase leg bone diameters up even more on a brontosaurus than just what a proportional scale up from an elephant would warrant.

The best book on the topic I ever found at a paperback clearance shelf at Barnes and Noble-

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=DcwYAQAAIAAJ
You should check out his earlier book. It is also a great read on the subject.

https://books.google.com.pg/books/ab...75N3T0YC&hl=en
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 18:49   #123

Boat: CD25

Totally agree with Pete's post
# 121
Op progress reply would be in order without revealing builder.
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:13   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
This rather makes me doubt that you have ever either been military, studied strategy, or have experienced litigation. As Sun Tzu said, in probably the most important advice ever given on the subject of war: "When you surround the enemy, always allow them an escape route. They must see that there is an alternative to death."

Else you will just be paying the lawyers a hell of a lot more money, as they will too. I suppose he could have added the line: "Or else the carrion birds (lawyers) shall be the only victors."

In other words, don't start a nuclear war before the sabres have been well and thoroughly rattled.
Obviously Sir you are right and wrong. Right on leaving the enemy an escape wrong on my lack of knowledge if both warfare and litigation. Tsun Tset Tsu used bravado and an appearance of overwhelming might by deception such as planting flags strategically in order to make your forces appear greater that they are.

The objective of going to war with all guns blazing is to avoid a long protracted legal battle. If you pussy foot around at the onset you are inviting the other side to go to battle rather than surrendering. My suggested strategy is to force a quick surrender. If not than to maximise ones gains.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 19:56   #125

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Obviously Sir you are right and wrong. Right on leaving the enemy an escape wrong on my lack of knowledge if both warfare and litigation. Tsun Tset Tsu used bravado and an appearance of overwhelming might by deception such as planting flags strategically in order to make your forces appear greater that they are.

The objective of going to war with all guns blazing is to avoid a long protracted legal battle. If you pussy foot around at the onset you are inviting the other side to go to battle rather than surrendering. My suggested strategy is to force a quick surrender. If not than to maximise ones gains.
Mmkay, well, seems to me there's a fair degree of clear water between ensuring negotiation through a show of force and "hit them with everything and without mercy", as you actually suggested. And "force a quick surrender"? Not how litigation operates. Unless you are the one with the wildly and disproportionately deep pockets, that is. Generally that goes in favour of company versus individual. But it is a game, and the Nash equilibrium of that particular game is the mutual benefit of the officer class: can you guess of whom I am speaking?
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:43   #126

Make it stop, Mommy!

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote