Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 20:03   #1

Wa to Vancouver Island

Looking at getting someone to possibly Captain my boat from La Conner to possibly or hopefully Sooke BC.

Just had a recent survey done and will be addressing all seaworthiness issues before heading out. My brother who has some experience and myself who essentially has none both plan on attending and I am looking at quotes and/or dates that work.

If someone suitable wants to just take us new guys out and help us pro bono, that would be appreciated immensely as well.

Thanks for all the replays in advance
RR

P.s it is a 77 Valiant 40
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 09:56   #2

Re: Wa to Vancouver Island

Email Sent
Old 13-03-2019, 10:54   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Be aware that if you leave the boat in WA for more than 30/45days? You will owe WA sales tax. You can apply for an extension if you are doing work. It is best to apply now and get approval for the extension now as you need to provide proof that work is being completed. And of course I'm sure you're aware that BC will bend you over very hard once the boat arrives in BC/Canada. There is special procedures/documents for this if you hire someone and you are not present.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 11:08   #4

Yep, it is 45 days and I do plan on being present.

Yea.. I know I am going to get hit hard bringing her in to Canada. But the other options I contemplated left this one as the most desirable.

The issues the boat has are minor, so should be remedied long before I am able to arrange time off to get south to help move her. Been chatting with CBSA, transport canada etc to make sure I do not fudge this up lol

RR
Old 13-03-2019, 11:13   #5
rbk

Got all your ducks in a row Congrats on the new boat; You're out of PG right? And had been asking about boats in another thread? Lets see some pictures!
Old 13-03-2019, 11:17   #6

I live outside of Smithers about 40 minutes west of them.

Once I get down there all aboard and physically have her in my possession, pictures will show up. The ones I have right now are of specific issue areas and none to pretty haha

Thanks a lot, quite excited to be honest. I think I will enjoy the challenge of learning to sail this beauty. Any rate pictures will come as soon as get aboard her
Old 13-03-2019, 11:21   #7
rbk

So you'll most likely be bringing it up to Prince Rupert I suspect? Good luck and have fun.
Old 13-03-2019, 11:30   #8

To be honest.. likely not. With the way work is, I have to really scheme to get time off so leaving her in Sooke area is ok with me. Plus they have more training schools down there and my brother is ok to work on her so he can go sailing so it may be best to leave her down there. Plus flights are cheap and if my brother takes her sailing on his vacation time he can come north and I'll jump on for a day with him and the families.

Looking at s career change/retirement in 5-8 years so will get more time to sail then. Right now I'm just going to refit this baby as I can and hold off sailing until it makes more sense. So yeah I can wait a couple years.. hopefully.. either that or I rage quit work and become a beach bum/famous Youtuber and win the lottery haha
Old 13-03-2019, 11:40   #9

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRailRoader View Post
Looking at getting someone to possibly Captain my boat from La Conner to possibly or hopefully Sooke BC.

Just had a recent survey done and will be addressing all seaworthiness issues before heading out. My brother who has some experience and myself who essentially has none both plan on attending and I am looking at quotes and/or dates that work.

If someone suitable wants to just take us new guys out and help us pro bono, that would be appreciated immensely as well.

Thanks for all the replays in advance
RR

P.s it is a 77 Valiant 40
PM me.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 11:55   #10

PM sent
Old 13-03-2019, 12:54   #11

Ok looks like the situation is sorted now. Thanks everyone.