Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 11:04   #16

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Re: San Diego to Miami on a 22' to 25'??? July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
never smoke pot and post on the forum at the same time
lmao... too funny
Old 01-06-2017, 11:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotocopilot View Post
Some posts are not worth commenting and this is one of them.

You did....
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
be best to go around cape horn and not pay the canal fee anyway

Yeah. Probably in a smaller boat too. I heard the sunfish was a great bluewater boat.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:21   #19

hamburking thanks for your kindness and support, Thanks to people like you the world is a place worth living in.

Cheers.
jdr1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:24   #20

Boat: Scout 30

[QUOTE=navysurfer;2404908]lmao, never smoke pot and watch to many u tube sail blogs with click bait of pretty girls sailing around the world, not a care, perfect weather.

Everyone in their 20's & 30's with a hot girlfriend wants us to pay them to cruise around & have fun.

waaaah, I crashed my drone. Please send us more money so we can buy another one to fly around. Plus, liquor in the Islands is really expensive!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:27   #21

Boat: Watkins 29

Learn to sail first... open ocean sailing...crew on OPB..(Other Peoples Boats)... then give this a rethink...
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:26   #22

Hamburking,
I just put in a offer for the free Tanzer 22. If I get it I'll stand you a drink (or even if I don't!).
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:54   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Classic Yachts / Classic 26

Uh yeah dude... not really smart or feasible. Canal passage would not work. Get a boat in Texas and sail from there.
JediRockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 13:17   #24

Boat: Seafarer36c

Getting through the canal wouldn't be a problem. They would have you raft up with another boat. There are plenty of good quality 27" boats sailing around, all over the world even. Boat speed is a real problem though. If he wants to anchor all time, it would be impossible to do that trip in 3 months. More like try and get below 12 deg before a hurricane hits would be a more realistic plan.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 13:23   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr1033 View Post
hamburking thanks for your kindness and support, Thanks to people like you the world is a place worth living in.
Yeah, well, the wife left and took all my money, so I'll be looking for a tiny boat boat for myself pretty soon too, as soon as I can tie up some loose ends ashore.

And you did make one excellent point...its easier to be broke. You don't have to worry about what brand of watermaker to buy, or figure out if the newest electronics package is right for you. I've got my etrex and some paper charts. All I need is wind and sails. For real inspiration, read Joshua Slocum's famous book. He bought a boat for a dollar, and went sailing with just some change in his pocket. He only made it as far as around the world!!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 13:34   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinF View Post
Hamburking,
I just put in a offer for the free Tanzer 22. If I get it I'll stand you a drink (or even if I don't!).
M
If you get it, I've got some sailing gear for you (free).

There are so many people on here who just talk...nice to see a man of action! Good for you! The Tanzer 22 is a great boat. Fast, shallow draft, solid as a rock, tons of space below (for a 22).

Hope you get it. I'm only a couple hours away...maybe if you get it I'll come give you a hand getting it launched, and I can collect that drink!

FWIW, From Ottawa, you could put the mast on deck and with a little outboard you can head down the Rideau canal to Kingston. BTW, canal is FREE this year for Canada's 150 birthday! From there, explore the 1000 islands for a while before crossing over to the Oswego Canal (also free this year), which takes you to the Hudson. Once on the Hudson, mast goes up, and sail (with the current, nice and easy) to NYC (I've heard there are free mooring balls there). From NYC you can head south to Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

As for timing...Hurricane season will be over before you get far enough for it to be a problem...then you have many months in the Caribbean until the next hurricane season. At any time, you could just sell/give the boat to a local and fly home.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 14:02   #27

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.

Yes the plan does have a lot of challenges, however getting through the Panama Canal shouldn't be too hard. I live here in Panama delivering yachts and have completed over 20 canal transits in boats as small as 30' in addition to sailing this route a few times. As long as you can go 5kts (think 10hp outboard?) you should be fine transiting the canal. In fact I think the trip up to Panama is do-able with enough time and planning as long as either your boat or your skipper is sea-worthy. If you make it that far you just might make it up to FL through the most challenging leg but I wouldn't want to try it.
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 14:15   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkalittle View Post
Yes the plan does have a lot of challenges, however getting through the Panama Canal shouldn't be too hard. I live here in Panama delivering yachts and have completed over 20 canal transits in boats as small as 30' in addition to sailing this route a few times. As long as you can go 5kts (think 10hp outboard?) you should be fine transiting the canal. In fact I think the trip up to Panama is do-able with enough time and planning as long as either your boat or your skipper is sea-worthy. If you make it that far you just might make it up to FL through the most challenging leg but I wouldn't want to try it.
Some sincere questions, because of your experience...

What would it cost (total cost) the owner to transit on a 30 foot boat?

Does a small boat like that require the use of four line handlers, who may need to be paid? Is that included in the amount above or extra?

When you go from Panama to Florida, what route do you prefer? Where did you see the greatest challenge?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 15:24   #29

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.

If you do all the paperwork yourself the transit is around or just under $1000, there are several good recent articles online for 'transiting the panama canal without an agent'.

ALL boats require the four lines and four line handlers. You would have to feed 6 people including yourself and the required canal advisor, and sleep 5 people one night in Lake Gatun.

You can usually find volunteer line handlers, local pro's cost about $100 each for the roughly 24 hour trip.

The easiest way to get from Panama to Florida is to get East first, San Blas is better, and Cartagena or Santa Marta Colombia is better still, ALL THREE well worth a stop. Then depending on where you started head N or NW for the West coast of Cuba via 5mile wide / 100'+ deep Chanel across the banks off of Nicaragua/Honduras starting just west of Serranilla Bank. Pass Cuba, turn right unless you get holed up in Isla Mujeres Mexico waiting for weather to ride the Gulf Stream to FL.

FYI stopping in Cuba has almost been a non-issue for Americans for a while now.
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 15:33   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkalittle View Post
If you do all the paperwork yourself the transit is around or just under $1000, there are several good recent articles online for 'transiting the panama canal without an agent'.

ALL boats require the four lines and four line handlers. You would have to feed 6 people including yourself and the required canal advisor, and sleep 5 people one night in Lake Gatun.

You can usually find volunteer line handlers, local pro's cost about $100 each for the roughly 24 hour trip.

The easiest way to get from Panama to Florida is to get East first, San Blas is better, and Cartagena or Santa Marta Colombia is better still, ALL THREE well worth a stop. Then depending on where you started head N or NW for the West coast of Cuba via 5mile wide / 100'+ deep Chanel across the banks off of Nicaragua/Honduras starting just west of Serranilla Bank. Pass Cuba, turn right unless you get holed up in Isla Mujeres Mexico waiting for weather to ride the Gulf Stream to FL.

FYI stopping in Cuba has almost been a non-issue for Americans for a while now.
Thanks for answering my curiosity.

I have wanted to transit the Canal since I was a boy, but have not yet had the opportunity. Hope to in the next year.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, san diego