Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 16:28   #1

Punta Gorda to St. Thomas - November 2018

I am a 69 year-old physically fit retired attorney with extensive coastal sailing experience and a Coastal OUPV License, but limited water sailing">blue water sailing experience. I am planning to take my well-founded and well-equipped 50 ft. Gulfstar sloop from Punta Gorda, Florida to the Virgin Islands at the end of October/beginning of November this year (2018). Passage will be around Key West, through the Bahamas by way of the Tongue of the Ocean and Spanish Wells, Bahamas, and then 645 nm more or less due East, before turning more or less due South for the 450 nm passage to St. Thomas. We will most likely stop for a few days at Spanish Wells before beginning the open water passage to the Virgin Islands. My wife, who has substantial coastal cruising experience, may or may not accompany us on the trip, but should not be counted on for night-time watch-standing. From the Virgin Islands I intend to continue with my wife through the Antilles and ultimately wind up in Panama.

I am seeking two to three mature, non-smoking, experienced blue water sailors with diesel and electrical maintenance/replair skills, to make the trip with me/us to the Virgin Islands. Any who wish to spend a bit more time with us while we’re in the Virgin Islands for a few weeks (probably not more than two since my wife and I have already spent a lot of time there previously) would be welcome to do so. I will cover food on the boat, fuel, and marina fees if any through arriving in the Virgin Islands.

Absolutely no drug use will be permitted, and any alcohol consumption must be moderate and not interfere with sober watch keeping. I love my alcohol as much as any man, but not when it could interfere with safe sailing.

If you are interested, please e-mail me at schnierlaw@aol.com.

Thank you.

Andy Schnier
On the rode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 05:51   #2

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint
Re: Punta Gorda to St. Thomas - November 2018

Hi Andy, I noticed your post a few weeks back. Though I'd compliment that the trip details are exceptionally well described - kudos. Many postings leave - shall I say - at bit too much to the imagination. And I also compliment that you posted four months ahead of setting sail, wow, you have planned and posted well ahead - organized is impressive. So I just wanted to say that I find this commendable.

I thought for sure you'd be getting a number of replies by now, but let me be the first to "throw my hat into the ring", given that this will be right around the time of the mid-terms! Yikes, OK, I promise not to even mention politics again, and for that matter, don't smoke, and can be happy to forgo adult beverages unless on shore. Oh, and I'll PM with my CV, but the short answer is that I'm also "a responsible older gentleman" and reasonable blue water experience, and certifications etc.
Cheers,
John
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 06:02   #3

Thanks for the kind words and the interest. At present I have three fellows who I have agreed will be my crew, but as I do not have to tell you, only two things are certain in this life, so please forward your contact information and sailing CV to me by e-mail (schnierlaw@aol.com) and I will keep it "on file" with your permission and let you know if one of the positions opens up.

May you have fair winds and calm seas! AMS
Old 25-08-2018, 17:05   #4

Hi Andy,

I am a retired Elementary School Principal with some sailing experience and basic qualifications. I do not have mechanical or navigational experience but I am healthy and sensible. If you are looking for crew during January 2019, let me know.
Cheers,
Bob Almas
Bob Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 04:32   #5

Thank you for your interest. Once we get to the VI's in November it is my plan to sail slowly through the Leewards and the Windwards with my wife down to Grenada. All day trips or short one night overnights, so no need for crew, but after that more longer passages to Panama. I'll keep you in mind.

Calm seas and fair winds!
Old 26-08-2018, 07:34   #6

Ok. Sounds good.
All the best sailing and weather.
Bob
Bob Almas is offline   Reply With Quote