Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2023, 12:16   #1

Crew available for one way to PR

Hey! I’m Rick. I live in NW PA, i’m trying to barter for passage from the east coast (ny state and south) to either San juan or Mayaguez, PR
I have been paying rent in Mayaguez since march and would really like to get me and my 25 boxes of stuff i can’t get rid of to our new home.
As of 2010 i had 4.5 years of active sea time from the army including sailing from norfolk, va to Camp pendleton and back through the canal.
If you think we could reach a mutually beneficial agreement please contact me and we’ll figure out the logistics.
pontonric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 12:42   #2

Re: Crew available for one way to PR

You want to take 25 boxes of stuff with you???
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 12:46   #3

Yes. It’s just enough to fill the back seat and trunk of a standard car. The movers i have talked to have a minimum cost of $4-5K. I have been waiting on a settlement to come through and i’m just done waiting for the red tape. I don’t even have enough stuff to justify palate shipping. If you are interested i can send you a picture of my pile of boxes and what i do not have boxed yet.
Old 31-05-2023, 12:52   #4

Apologies as I'm not interested (and currently boatless) but you are likely to have trouble finding a sailboat that will have that kind of storage for that kind of trip / distance.

Most people who do the barter thing around here do it for work on the boat / time sailing on the boat. Hell some even have to pay to crew (not something I'm in favour of).

Good luck in your quest.
Old 31-05-2023, 12:55   #5

Thank you very much for reading my post and providing valuable insight.
Safe journeys
Old 31-05-2023, 13:37   #6

Boat: ?

is there a reason you can not ship it via USPS or on a pallet via UPS or FedEx?

Puerto Rico is not exactly on the face of Mars...they're a US territory

as long. meaning the costs of USPS will be subsidized...

if your 25 boxes fit in the back of a car...and are less than ~20 pound each.. USPS should be by far your best option.

well..2nd best option.

best option is to just give or throw whatever it is away.
(do you REALLY need to take all that stuff with you?)

re: crewing..
most won't let you aboard with anything but the clothes on your back and carryon luggage.
(or at least i wouldnt)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 13:54   #7

Thank you very much for your reply!
I’m looking in to the palate shipping. I just learned that crewing may be an option today and figured that i’d try. Even though i’m rusty i’ve got the experience and would be more of an asset than a greenie. Plus i really do miss the open ocean. Not sure what you know about army sailors but MOST of us would be an asset to any crew on any size boat.
Safe journeys,
Rick
Old 31-05-2023, 14:50   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Chubby maybe Pontonric doesn't want the boxes to leave his sight........ What about a cruise ship, do they have a luggage limit?
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-06-01-07-46-28-998.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	276068  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 15:10   #9

I don’t mind them being out of sight. Getting on a crew to move the things that are irreplaceable. It’s mostly family pictures, a few tools, art my friends have given me over the years, and clothing past 7 days worth.
Plus… what drugs would i need to take with me to a college town on the west side of PR?
Old 31-05-2023, 15:12   #10

I’m glad to have the boxes inspected. 25 boxes is an over estimate. I don’t move drugs or do them. Happy to pee in a cup any time.
Old 31-05-2023, 15:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
You want to take 25 boxes of stuff with you???
Over-estimate. I currently only have 12 boxes worth of stuff. I can solidly ditch 2. I’ll work on paring it down further. But my stuff would barely cover 4’x4’ palate in a single layer as it is.
I’m not moving drugs. That implication was almost insulting but i get it.
It’s just **** i can’t replace. I can bring my boxes to port and repack in front of someone in new boxes if a capt wants to supervise or pay someone to do so.
I need help moving. Some of you need crew and have room for my stuff. Willing to work from UP TO ny just to get to PR. To sound standard boat crazy. The ocean already spoke to me. She’s still my one true love even after being landlocked for 13 years. No personal risk is worth hemming up the crew. I bet i could out splice most of you on 3strand right wound even in a speed trial. You can use a fid.
Old 31-05-2023, 16:09   #12

Sorry for over replying. I’m incredibly sincere in my request for help in this matter. Glad to work the week or 3 it takes to get there for just food. Glad to owe you a week unpaid afterwards too. If you want to cross something we can talk about it and i’d have to renew my passport.i have contacts in Rotterdam and Georgia.
i speak barely functional dutch and spanish. Yes i’m selling myself hard. I need help. This seems like an at least productive way to ask for it. I bust my ass for you. You drop me off at point b. Being under way is a serious matter to me.
Old 31-05-2023, 16:10   #13

Most skippers will limit what the crew takes on board to a soft sided bag (much easier to stow) of belongings needed for the actual trip. Space is usually that limited.

Also, you need to keep in mind that everything needs to be stored safely and securely in case of rough seas. Not easy to do with even a dozen boxes.

I really hate to rain on your parade but that's just sailing.

ETA: You also need to keep in mind that trip won't be happening any time soon... hurricane season.
Old 31-05-2023, 16:21   #14

I can stow my stuff. Not new to me. Damage is my responsibility unless some a$$hat sets my stuff on fire on purpose. My personal cabin carry on is a 2x3x2 foot delivery bag. More than i need for clean clothes repeatedly. It’s a soft bag. I’m going to go back through my stuff and see if i can get it down to 6 boxes and a rug (original Kandinsky tapestry)
I’m not on this forum for desperation. I’m willing to trade work plus work for a week at a later date for passage. There’s just extra stuff i have to bring with me because it’s a move for me. If i had the settlement i’ve been waiting on since march i would have flown there first class and hired movers back in march. I’m trying to genuinely earn my way and owe a week’s crewing time.
I’m trying to go to my new home.
You probably soeak better spanish than me but i was fluent in Dutch at one point. I can read spanish dutch and basic french. German’s hard to read but i get the gist of it when written. I also speak bad english.
All can be verified in person
Old 31-05-2023, 16:39   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontonric View Post
Thank you very much for your reply!
I’m looking in to the palate shipping. I just learned that crewing may be an option today and figured that i’d try. Even though i’m rusty i’ve got the experience and would be more of an asset than a greenie. Plus i really do miss the open ocean. Not sure what you know about army sailors but MOST of us would be an asset to any crew on any size boat.
Safe journeys,
Rick
Not the army, but I took two Navy vets from Norfolk to St. Thomas shortly after they got out. They were very seasick the entire time. Sailing on a small sailboat is a completely different animal from what you might think it is. Certainly, if you think 6 boxes and a rug will fit. A

If the ONLY thing you were bringing was a rug, I still doubt you would find someone with the space. Think about what you can carry with you on a bicycle. (and not including the bicycle) That is the realistic limit. 2x3x2 foot bag is more than I could accommodate for a crewmember on my boat. You might get lucky and find someone with a big catamaran and 2 extra bunks, one for you and one for your stuff. But I expect they would offer that bunk to another person first.

Tags
crew, crew available