Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 16:01   #1

Chesapeaka Bay to San Francisco

Looking for two crew member to come with me from Chesapeake Bay to San Francisco Bay early November 2017 soon as the hurricane season is over
Here is pictures from the listing I will have boat docs by April 27
1997 Block Island 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Also looking for crew to cruise Chesapeake bay and east coast to RI mid-May through June With local knowledge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manitou.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	145648  
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 17:32   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: Chesapeaka Bay to San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbuilder View Post
Looking for two crew member to come with me from Chesapeake Bay to San Francisco Bay early November 2017 soon as the hurricane season is over
Here is pictures from the listing I will have boat docs by April 27
1997 Block Island 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Also looking for crew to cruise Chesapeake bay and east coast to RI mid-May through June With local knowledge
When in Nov? Does the boat have all the necessary offshore safety equipment? Does it have AIS and radar? What is your overall plan?
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 06:01   #3

Hello. I currently live in Sausalito and would be interested in this trip. I hold a commercially endorsed yacht master offshore 200ton and also an instructor. In the last year I have done two transatlantic crossings and one Hawaii to San Francisco. Please give me a call415-497-5686

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mcwoodssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 07:21   #4

Sausalito is San Francisco if your not sure. I know the Chesapeake bay well also

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mcwoodssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 09:48   #5

I am flying out to Maryland May 2 to take position and move the boat to Haven Marina which has a full service boat yard. I am already on their schedule for so mirror maintenance items and to have new chart plotter install at helm, new radar, AIS, new increase house battery bank and upgrade charging system. The plan is to leave Annapolis Nov 1 depending on insurance resist ions stop at Puerto Rico to refuel and re supply from Panama follow the sail direction about 800 miles off shore until we reach the trades winds to San Francisco Bay. I am interview with a license well qualified captain to assist.
Old 18-04-2017, 10:41   #6

Hi Jon,

Less experienced sailor here, but trying to get experience on longer passages as I'd like to do my own. As a third crew member I'd be willing to pick up extra watches/duties as a trade off for the lack of experience.

Feel free to follow up with me via email nsilver3@gmail.com if you are interested.

Thanks,
Nathan
nsilver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 11:50   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to bootsie1

Would be interested in finding more about sail from Chesapeake to San Francisco. time line ?!?!?
Quite a Journey.
I would mean going thru the Panama canal
RIGHT !!
That is on my bucket list.
Have sailed in panama and Trinidad but never thru canal.
Spent a week in Tobago and perlas islands last fall. saw the cargo boasts reading to enter the canal but that was i.
I have sailed Newport to Chesapeake in Nov.
Quite chilly further south should be warmer.
The only thing I know about mass is do not walk thru the grass up to Plymouth rock at night it is closed and the police will pick you up!!!!
At least they did 30 years ago when I sailed into Plymouth decided to take a walk up to the monument and was arrested. They did let us go and drove us back to the water. so much for being patriotic.
Do let me know what your projected schedules are for next Nov and if I could possibly do a part of the journey.
I have sailed down from Moro bay did the bahaha in 2014 and have sailed down to Zehuataneo Mexico
no wind most of the time butt beautiful and found the Mexicans to be wonderful folks.
Enjoy,
Marian
hope to hear from you but do not know how to get from here
Guess I will have to learn !!!
bootsie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 12:05   #8

p.s I am in North carolina now not too far from where you are going? i think Where is the boat now and do you need help for a few days to bring to haven Marina
Old 18-04-2017, 14:16   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

bootsie,

One way to get in touch is to send jonbuilder a PM--a personal message. Click on CP, then down on the left, you will see an option, send a personal message. Or, click on jonbuilder's name in the first post, and the option will come up, "send jonbuilder a personal message."

Ann
Old 18-04-2017, 14:24   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

Cool trip. I hope you post about it. All the best with the delivery and crew. Let us know when you get the boat to SF.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 21:34   #11
Marine Service Provider

I'm assuming you really want to make the trip. Otherwise shipping overland is far simpler, probably cheaper, and much less ware and tear on the boat. Good luck. Have fun. I'm also assuming you're talking Panama Canal, not Cape Horn.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 22:09   #12

I am thinking so , but I am not the captain just possible crew????

It could be Cape Horn?!?!
Old 19-04-2017, 16:16   #13

My plan is to make the trip rather quickly like a delivery. From Maryland stopping on the east shore of Puerto Rico to resupply refuel and rest, than through the Panama cannel and about 800 miles out to sea following the old sailing directions with feedback from modern online weather compensated sailing direction to San Francisco nonstop. I will be leaving Maryland on or about November 1, 2017. I will try to catch up personal messages right now my main concertation is closing the boat purchase next week April 27, and then prepping the boat for off shore work and cruising the Chesapeake Bay and New England coast to RI. I do not think I save money by sail the boat home rather than trucking but I am buying the boat to sail have the time so why not.
I am getting more interest from interest from sailors wanting to make the trip than I expected.
Old 19-04-2017, 16:22   #14

Here is a picture of me at the helm during the sea trial April 5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at the helm.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	145858  
Old 20-07-2017, 09:42   #15

confused
If you still do not have crew and are leaving around Nov. you can give email me direct
hav2befree@gmail.com
Just got back from sail to Bermuda 5 days from Newport ri
Be Happy
Marian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbuilder View Post
My plan is to make the trip rather quickly like a delivery. From Maryland stopping on the east shore of Puerto Rico to resupply refuel and rest, than through the Panama cannel and about 800 miles out to sea following the old sailing directions with feedback from modern online weather compensated sailing direction to San Francisco nonstop. I will be leaving Maryland on or about November 1, 2017. I will try to catch up personal messages right now my main concertation is closing the boat purchase next week April 27, and then prepping the boat for off shore work and cruising the Chesapeake Bay and New England coast to RI. I do not think I save money by sail the boat home rather than trucking but I am buying the boat to sail have the time so why not.
I am getting more interest from interest from sailors wanting to make the trip than I expected.

Tags
san francisco