Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2009, 16:19   #1

pirate Advice on a Trip I'm Thinking About, Please

i'm totally new to the boat world and to this forum !but looking at a 53 ft x fishing trawler to convert into a nice habitable boat ( keeping the shape original ) it's top speed is 7 knots ish
with a 600 gallon fuel capacity using approx 2 gallon per hour . now as a dream really i'd like to travel from hull uk around france past greece through the suez and over to west sumartra and malaysia .
have any of you guys done anything like this ? and bearing in mind fuel costs bribes at the suez and hopefully not getting caught by the pirates!! how much and how long would it take and is it even possible ????.
many thanks woody
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 17:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
it's top speed is 7 knots ish with a 600 gallon fuel capacity using approx 2 gallon per hour.
I'm not sure I believe the numbers. Gallons I suppose could be correct as it's objective. Consumption seems quite low unless we are talking flat calm water. I can't see it doing 7 knots at 2 gallons in any kind of weather. Unless you could sustain good speed in heavy weather it could be a nightmare. Powered boats when under powered are very unstable. The nature of the boat and engine would make a difference. Fishing trawlers are not normally thought of as ocean passage making boats. Most long distance fishing boats would be larger.

Quote:
how much and how long would it take and is it even possible ?
Being possible is not really a good way to look at it. If were possible that would leave "slightly not possible". I would more apt to be thinking in terms of if it would be fun. Or more exactly how to make it maximum fun. Just doing it won't set any records and could be sort of a bad time were only just slightly more than possible. Being impossible would of course settle any questions of being fun. Your skills as a captain may be more the question that hangs in the balance.

You might be better apt to make some shorter goals to settle it all out before taking on such a huge plan.

As for pirates, I would not worry as they should be able to catch you handily. They won't think you are attempting to out run them. The key is not being where they are. That is more a navigation issue than anything else. Times and situations shift so it's more an issue should you actually get that close. I would delay the matter for now given you may not get that far or choose to travel in other directions.

As for time required I would personally attempt to take as long as humanly possible. 10 years would be a good working goal. It helps to avoid the more difficult question of just what will you do if you actually get there? I think spending 10 years to do it would be better preparation. Were you to focus on making the shortest possible legs with extended stays you may find after 5 years it really does not matter since the journey becomes more important than completion.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 03:54   #3

Boat: Boatless
As a Yorkshireman who has sailed in and out of Hull to France and Holland I admire your spirit but it is not that easy. With all the traffic Hull to the sea is a difficult navigation exercise in itself and at night was the hardest 20 of the 35,000 miles I have sailed.

The weather and tides in the UK and France are very difficult and you will be going places in France where even at full throtle that boat will go backwards in the tidal flow, if you get the tides wrong.

Do the RYA power courses before you buy the boat. As a shakedown circumnavigate the UK which is far harder than crossing the Atlantic...if you survive that then take on the rest...

This pic is in the Aldernay Race and the skipper was a pro!

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 05:15   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Red Sea to Thailand/Sunmatara is about 2,700nms (off the top of my head) so even at 2g per hour you will be out of fuel and drifting before the end of the Gulf of Aden. So you will need to refule in many places, few which are easy...

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 06:40   #5

Quote:
I'm not sure I believe the numbers. Gallons I suppose could be correct as it's objective. Consumption seems quite low unless we are talking flat calm water.
that would have to be looked at then.
the humber is i think the second most dangerous waterway in europe i'm told , i realize this is not just like setting off on a road trip as there is a lot more at stake then a wrong turn or a speed hump , i defiantly think that maybe the trip around the british coast is probably the way to go first . I also think i need to do a few more loft conversions before i set of on this trip if only so i can afford it . So even if i get this boat any trip could be years in the making .

But i still would not mind knowing a few more home truths .
Even if a smaller trip is to be considered .
I'm taking all on board what you guys are telling me and it is much appreciated .
i do not have picture bucket so not sure how to put some pics on here of the boat ???

also paul do you take your dogs on long trips?
i've 2 dogs both with pet passports !

thanks woody
Old 29-11-2009, 06:47   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Woody,

To post photos that are stored on your computer, click on "Post Reply" to open a new post window, type in a little text, and then click on the "paper clip" icon in the space above the text window. A screen will open that allows you to browse within your computer to find the photo(s) and then upload them. Once they're uploaded, click "Preview Post" to see what your post will look like. The photos will appear below the text in your Post. Note that there are size limits to the image files.

Looking forward to seeing the boat!
Old 29-11-2009, 13:16   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=trawler 1 .jpg Views: 297 Size: 24.9 KB ID: 11376" style="margin: 2px" />
thanks for the advice here's a pic

right! another question that i might put on another topic ! but a boat like this kitted out, ignoring the logistics !!( i might add ).

With under floor heating in its two bedrooms and living room in the hull and the best kit , oak floors , nice shower room and proper toilet with good electrics and just generally more like a nice house then a general house boat .
what would it bring on the market when i've finished it ! . I am not looking to sell it ! but i am at the minute going to over stretch myself to buy it (fitting it out comes as i get the money ) so i'd have to have a fall back just in case .

Thanks too for the pm offer of a bit more help with this project i'm very greatfull .

thanks woody
Old 12-12-2009, 15:01   #8

Northern entrance to the Red Sea to Phuket Thailand is close to 4260nm.
average 5 knots = 852 hours x 2 imperial gallons =1704 gallons or 7746 litres.
Diesel in the Red Sea is available all the way down. At the western end of the Gulf of Aden, one can top up at Aden itself. The next refueling option is 600nm at Salalah in Oman. From Salalah the next refueling stop would be 1080nm to Uligan at the very northern tip of the Maldives that will require 430 gallons. Uligan to Thailand 1500nm = 600 gallons meaning that jerry cans will be required in addition for the last leg.
No stops night and day = 36 days.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 17:04   #9

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Hi Woody,

Do you happen to know the make and size of engine in this boat? At 53 foot, she would probably need a minimum of 160HP to get to her hull speed, At this time of night I can't be bothered to work that out but it's near to 9 knots. Running at around 7 knots I'd imagine you'd consume around 2.8 to 3.5 gallons per hour. With your 700 gallons, that would give you a range of around 1500 nautical miles tops. (We're talking imperial gallons here, not those wussy undersized US ones) There are ways around this so don't despair, like fuel bladders etc. Come back with the engine details and I'll be able to give you a firmer idea. The hull looks like a good safe boat.

Paige
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 18:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
Hi Woody,

Do you happen to know the make and size of engine in this boat? At 53 foot, she would probably need a minimum of 160HP to get to her hull speed, At this time of night I can't be bothered to work that out but it's near to 9 knots. Running at around 7 knots I'd imagine you'd consume around 2.8 to 3.5 gallons per hour. With your 700 gallons, that would give you a range of around 1500 nautical miles tops. (We're talking imperial gallons here, not those wussy undersized US ones) There are ways around this so don't despair, like fuel bladders etc. Come back with the engine details and I'll be able to give you a firmer idea. The hull looks like a good safe boat.

Paige
Only 600 IMPERIAL gallons - Used 5 knots as a reasonable average
Old 13-12-2009, 18:05   #11

53ft x 14ft ex Fishing Trawler - conversion to a houseboat almost complete.. Has a Volvo 100B 150hp diesel inboard engine with single lever control which has had £11,000 spent on it
and since then has done very few hours. Since the current owners have had this boat they have completely removed and fitted a new wheelhouse and deck saloon, all steel, plywood lined and with new aluminium framed windows.. She has new brass portholes fitted to the masters cabin with fixed double and en-suite shower room with toilet, wash hand basin and shower aft and below the wheelhouse. The galley is situated in the deck saloon with seating to enjoy the views. All steelwork has been chipped and primed. The boat has great potential to make a beautiful home for whoever should buy it.The fish hold conversion is virtually complete having L shaped dinette to make double berth and with fixed single berth. This boat has hydraulic steering, two anchors, navigation lights,VHF radio, JRC radar, fish finder, auto pilot, depth sounder, searchlight, bilge pump and 6.5 kva generator. There are 2 x 300 gallon fuel tanks. British Waterways licence..There is an ultrasonic thickness survey report 2003 and survey in 2004
as it stands at the min is , i'm still looking for a trawler but this 44 grand they are asking for this boat is a little out of my price range . i could do with one that has not had all the work done on it this has . but laid back your answer is just the advice i was looking for, re refueling and time ect . if any of you know a sea fairing trawler cheap enough please let me know .
woody
Old 13-12-2009, 22:52   #12

"they have completely removed and fitted a new wheelhouse and deck saloon, all steel, plywood lined" Remember this if you bought - when one covers up steel with plywood - rust can breed under the ply.

In the meantime sent you a couple of other ones to look at.