Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2012, 09:54   #31

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat
Re: West Coast US Anchorages

I don't know if anyone is interested in our log entry of our experience in Santa Cruz Harbor, during our trip from San Francisco to Gulf Shores Alabama in 1983 but, here it is.

The very evening we arrived on 1/14/1983 the Santa Cruz Boat Harbor experienced one of the fiercest winter storms in years. On one hand we were very lucky to have been inside the harbor during the storm. However on the other hand, the storm created a huge sand bar across the entrance. It was determined that this commercial harbor was now closed until April. April..? This was January 16th. Daily harbor fees were also exorbitant for transients, regardless of the circumstances.

We spent a few weeks sorting things out and met two of the cutest potential crew member wannabees imaginable. They were 16 and 18 years old respectively. Well, the right crew members are indispensable, keeping watch, cooking, steering and sunbathing etc. Their enthusiasm for the adventure probably overwhelmed their parents and with the proper documents and paper work they were signed on as crew for a partial duration of the voyage.

Around the first week in February I noticed at the harbor entrance at low tide, the current from the harbor ate a narrow 2 foot deep trench. At high tide of 6 feet, it stood to reason the water would be 8 feet deep. The Daedalus draws 5’-4”. High tide was at dawn and the ocean was rough. Worst case was losing the boat, but no one would be hurt swimming to the close sandy shore. Also the slot could easily close again. April..!!..No way!

On 2/9 with anchors at ready and the Boston Whaler dinghy secured in the water and no one watching on that cold winter morning, I left the dock with the engine over revved, reefed sails, I crashed thru the entrance into at least 12 foot breaking waves with my 50 foot 23 ton Daedalus bow rising many feet into the sky then crashing down thru the waves, we escaped, thudding the bottom slightly once. Unexpectedly, the main dock at the entrance was lined with some people cheering us on. I had escaped from the bureaucracy of that harbor.

We sustained a bent railing from the dinghy. Another rule, “You do not tow a dingy at sea” We towed the Whaler on 300 feet of nylon anchor line way back behind us. Nylon has a lot of stretch. Also, the empty Whaler, with the drain plug out did very well back there riding through the swells of Monterey Bay to Monterey Harbor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10d. 1983 Carol's map, 4400 miles, SF to Mississippi, then on to white sandy bays and bayous in .jpg
Views:	337
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	46509  
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 11:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
san diego requires boats to request permission to anchor in an up to 90 day only anchorage next to uscg. must go to police (municipal) docks and check in with them.
they will have you get an inspection by harbor police for alleged seaworthiness, and then may allow you to anchor in anchorage a-9, once known as cruisers anchorage.
a temporary mooring with san diego mooring co is approx 260 usd per mo0nth, and usually are some availabilities , unless you desire the double end mooring system used in commercial basin. the roadstead moorings are easier to get as temps.....call san diego mooring co , ask for vanessa, and good luck.
there is no anchoring in ensenada any more except during newport to ensenada race week.
Zee,

Would you say that if it's just for a couple of days one could anchor in Glorietta Bay or on the other side of the Zuniga Jetty for free with no problems?
sixdaytk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 09:37   #33

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)

Gudday sixdaytk, Glorietta is 72 hours only and you have to get permission from the cop dock / customs dock. Let me know if you need more details.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 10:24   #34

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred View Post
Did anyone mention Ano Nuevo Bay @ 37deg 06' 53.05 N about 10 miles North of Santa Cruz? Good anchorage overnight when slugging north to San Francisco. Also, it is a good feeding ground for Great Whites. They have a choice of delicious Elephant Seal pups or errant single bites of polyurethane surfboards with neoprene coated surfers. Ugh!
Capt.Fred
One of my favorite west coast anchorages, Capt. Pulled in there one evening to hide out from a northwesterly blowing like stink with my two sons, aged 10 and 12 at the time. We spent about 3 days there. This was before the area was designated as a state park. The only folks were local fishermen from Monterey and Moss Landing hiding out from the weather. The activity of the elephant seal families was better than a movie! The kids, now in their 40's, still talk about what a great cruise that was. I fear that many of those opportunities may be gone due to shoreside bureaucrats and the growth in the number of cruising folks on the west coast. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 15:41   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

for glorietta bay obtain permit no fewer than 24 hours in advance from harbor police docks, dont overstay the 72 hours. i believe it is still 3permits per month only, but may have been dropped to 2..i left when that was being discussed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 16:23   #36

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
for glorietta bay obtain permit no fewer than 24 hours in advance from harbor police docks, dont overstay the 72 hours. i believe it is still 3permits per month only, but may have been dropped to 2..i left when that was being discussed.
Last time I asked (pretty recently) the 'official rule' was 3 permits per 30 days split between a1 and a5....but it's a pretty fluid rule depending on who you ask at the office.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 16:25   #37

Boat: Owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post
Gudday! I was inspired by this thread to create an index of the free anchorages along the California coast. So far I have 37 individual anchorages listed and I know there are more so if you know of any I missed, please feel free to tell me and I'll get it added. It still needs a lot of work and there's a Google map that goes along with it that I haven't quite finished yet but will very soon. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think. Hopefully it proves to be a valuable tool for other boaters, I certainly learned a lot creating the list. Click HERE to see the list.
Thanks for the link Gudday.

Little late to the party and others have cleared up Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf for you. Great place with dinghy landings, anchor well though. Met a couple that keeps their 30' sailboat there all summer from about April to September. They close the dinghy landings during the winter, unsure of the exact dates but think Oct/Nov through Feb/Marchish sounds close. The couple I met used a 2 anchor rig with an improvised float for leaving on day+ trips around the bay. Been told others have left boats unattended to have them hit the beach due to poor anchoring practice.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 16:21   #38

Boat: O'Day 25

From personal experience:

North of San Francisco Bay
Bolinas
Drakes Bay

San Francisco: All free except the last one in Sacramento
Aquatic Park: Free one night only, Extra time maybe with permission from ranger.
Clipper Cove at Treasure Island: Free up to 21 days, then need to vacate for 21+days before returning
Candlestick Park: Free but the windsurfers think they own it.
Paradise Cove: Too rolly for me
China Camp: Too rolly for me
Petaluma River: Front and Stern anchor alongside the shore above the bridge. A rock barge transits two nights a week and is LARGE.
Petaluma: In town at the turning basin $21/night for 3 nights Water and Electricity. Nice town for visitng.
Napa River: Not good at low tides depending on draft
Suisun Slough; Above the mothball fleet, 1.5 miles up the slough. Tough to enter: a ditch on the charts between green and red lights on high tide only
Benicia: North of the Carquinez channel west of town
Pittsburg: Across from the plant. Windy but no fetch and good holding. The only place to buy fuel at retail is the Pittsburg Municipal Marina, no upcharge.
Sacramento River above the Isleton Bridge; Front and rear anchor in line with the channel off to the side.
Walnut Grove: Georgiana Slough. Makes the "Bedroom" look sad.
Sacramento River above Walnut Grove: anyplace out of the way
Sacramento Old Town: Municipal dock in above the Tower Bridge. Fee

Santa Cruz near the pier

Morro Bay north of the mooring field. Lots of swinging so short scope not to hit moored boats.

San Simeon if you need it but I just went from SF to Catalina the last time.

Catalina Two Harbors west side; Free anchor west of the moorings or close to the dinghy dock if you have a small draft or catamaran

San Diego; You can work the system for 4 months total per year. Bonus time for small craft warnings when anchored near the SD Yacht Club on weekends. (Normally 3 nights but as long as the red flag is up you can stay)
Gorietta Bay; You can buy a shower at the Rec Center

Otherwise SD gets old in a hurry. Lot of noise from the Air Station and too much moving around.

Mexcio: Anywhere you want as long as you want with a proper visa.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 16:53   #39

Re: San Diego Anchorages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
Unfortunately the Port Authority is closing the last free anchorage (A8 anchorage) on the west coast. It was located in the South Bay. Allot of cruisers and others use the Public Docks on Shelter Island. You are allowed ten days for ten dollars a day, price includes power. There are bathrooms close by. Visiting cruisers use the washer dryers at the Kona Kai marina which is within walking distance. The only caveat to Public docks is after the ten days you can not return until forty days have elapsed. Another solution is to rent a temporary mooring ball from the San Diego Mooring Co located at Harbor Island West, they are usually available and run about $200 per month.

JC47
Well guys bad news, the so call police dock in San Diego now Charge $1.00 a foot that is why now you can go there any time because there are not boats there any more because of the price
sv.la.amante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 05:06   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sv.la.amante.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 18:15   #41

Boat: Currently boatless

We had a great experience using YC recips in SF:

SV Estrellita 5.10b: 7 weeks in SF for $130
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 19:23   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Livia, what is the mysterious "sailing association" that gets you the great recips? Or is that just a normal YC reciprocal?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 20:44   #43

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Livia, what is the mysterious "sailing association" that gets you the great recips? Or is that just a normal YC reciprocal?
It didn't seem to matter which yacht club you were from if you were from "far away". They seemed to be pickier about specifics if you were a local boat. But FWIW we were members of the Canadian Forces Sailing Association.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 19:33   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well that explains everything. They were being on their best behavior, in case you were scouts for a coming invasion force!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 22:07   #45

You can anchor outside the basins in Crescent City and you can anchor in Humboldt Bay for up to 72 hours before getting a permit.
Siskiyous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages