Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 01:17   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40, Robert (Bob) Perry design. Long keel cutter
Singapore to HK to Japan, any tips

Hoping to leave for Japan in the next 2 weeks, currently in Malaysia. Will depart for Hong Kong on the 1st May if all goes to plan and the cyclones allow. Then after a short stop in HK onto Japan, then USA.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
We have a very seaworthy boat, Tashiba 40, Hoping to go directly from Singapore straits to HK, then direct to Japan as I've left it a few weeks to late really. I have researched with the Cornell books.
Thanks, Paul C.
LadyStardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 23:53   #2

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Singapore to HK to Japan, any tips

I live on Cheung Chau, about 40 mins out of central by ferry. Typhoon anchorage, good services. Most gweilo head for Sai Kung which has good facilities but not my preference. Can get anything done in HK.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 22:10   #3

Looks like a lovely location. Would I anchor there, or are there moorings or berths available?
I have been slightly delayed in Malaysia with a damaged cutless bearing, so I'm worrying now it might be to late to head north this year. Will know better next week after we haul out for repairs.
thanks,

Paul C.
SY Sister Midnight, Tashiba 40
Old 01-06-2017, 20:41   #4

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
I live on Cheung Chau, about 40 mins out of central by ferry. Typhoon anchorage, good services. Most gweilo head for Sai Kung which has good facilities but not my preference. Can get anything done in HK.
Seems like most of the marinas are filled up 24x7x365. We prefer to anchor anyway. Are there any decent, safe anchorages near HK that allow good access via ferry or other public transportation?

Lady Stardust, let us know how you make out! We hope to do the same trip next year, although we're hoping to leave from the N end of Borneo and touch in at the Philippines before heading to Okinawa and further.
Old 02-06-2017, 22:36   #5

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Check out Cheung Chau.
Typhoon anchorage, busy fishing port with good facilities. Wonderfully safe for you and your boat.

Have mooring pylons and shared anchoring/ mooring, lots of space. 40 mins from Central on fast ferry or 1 hour on slow ferry. Terrific food but busy with day trippers on weekends and public holidays. I live here and love it.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:59   #6

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Iam curious, is piracy still in an issue in the Singapore straits? Haven't been there in 12 years or so. Always enjoyed watching and waving to the Singapore harbor patrol guy's motoring around with machine guns mounted on the bow.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 15:23   #7

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Check out Cheung Chau.
Thanks, Stillbuilding!

Looks good and I've now got it in my notes for when we hit HK.

Any other good areas to anchor? I see conflicting info on noonsite about Hebe Harbor, one entry says anchoring is permitted, another says it's prohibited. Any idea what the straight scoop is?
Old 04-06-2017, 18:32   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

My son took a L52 from Spore to HK in May 14. Recommends you have your engines well maintained and carry lots of fuel ...it was either head wind or no wind. Plan your duel stops if needed. As for piracy, to date yachts have been spared.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:12   #9

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

I emailed my friend Dave, who bought our Alberg 30 and is now anchored in Hong along - sailed from The Seattle area singlehanded via Hawaii, So Pacific, Philippines. Here is his reply re: HK.

Hebe Haven is a well protected anchorage, though it is chalk full of mooring balls run by the two clubs there, Hebe Haven Yacht Club and Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club. Technically you can anchor where you want in the bay, though impractical as there would be no swing room except near the entrance, where a few small boats anchor, with a little more exposure. Apparently however a few have been there a while, through typhoons, so it must be somewhat decent. Can't speak to depths or bottom type in that corner. After my temp mooring ball with one of the clubs is over, I will try anchoring NE of Sai Kung. I've seen a few sailboats out that way, though it is a little more removed from Central HK. I've seen other protected bays and coves with boats anchored. The Marine department website lists half dozen or so harbours. HK has permissive anchoring regulation --- one can anchor anywhere provided it doesn't pose an obstruction or hazaard. There are a number of designated typhoon shelters boats can seek temporary shelter in however I imagine they must get crowded.

There are decent haul out and other services offered by both the Hebe Haven Club yard and Royal Hong Kong. Costs are significantly lower for club members, so temporary membership might be adviseable if haul out or extensive work is to be done.

In terms of supplies, you can find everything here. Here are my goto places:

- Lee Kee's in Sai Kung has a good assortment of marine supplies. More oriented to local commercial boat owners. You'll see a range of quality, from repsected import brands to generic made in China stuff. I've heard from a yard worker here the 316 fasteners are suspect. Cantonese run but staff are unusually helpful and speak pretty good English.

- The Mong Kok area is the go-to place for non marine-specific tools, hardware, supplies. You can find quality electrical components and 316 fasteners and loads of other stuff in the dozens of little shops in this area. Shopkeepers generally won't speak English and you have to rely on Google Translate, pictures, etc.

- Ap Lei Chau area near the Lei Tung MRT station has the biggest collection of marine stores in HK. There are a couple variety shops like Lee Kee's and a couple more specialized shops for engines, marine electronics like radar. Serve mostly local commercial operators I sense. Recently hunted down a jabsco seals kit here at a decent price.

- Harry Lo's and Eton Marine are the goto Chandler's near Hebe Haven. Good assortment of stuff, reasonable prices, catering more to the hundreds of pleasure craft in Hebe Haven

- For top of the line gear, your Haarken etc, you'd go to Storm Force Marine or Skyline International in central HK. Both expat run. The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club on Kellet Island near Central HK looks like a good chandlery. Walked by but haven't gone in yet.

I think I this covers most of it. Took me a while to discover all this. Hope somebody finds it useful.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:24   #10

Much appreciated, I have put my plans to take this route back a year, so will leave from Singapore/Johor area in Feb/Mar next year and work my way north more leisurely, rather than rush it this year. Your list of chandelrs will be very useful.

Thanks,

Paul
SV Sister Midnight
Tashiba 40
Old 06-06-2017, 03:17   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
My son took a L52 from Spore to HK in May 14. Recommends you have your engines well amaintained and carry lots of fuel ...it was either head wind or no wind. Plan your duel stops if needed. As for piracy, to date yachts have been spared.
Well Yeah! May is before the southern monsoon sets in. Winds start heading North around June and are strong in July and August.

I would consider September from Borneo along the West Coast of Palawan and keep a sharp eye for typhoons once past Palawan.

If Japan is your goal consider waiting in Palawan/Negros/Bohol area until December, then head to Palau, then Yap, and up to Guam.

In March 2018 go to Taiwan and time your arrival in Japan for Cherry Blossom season.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore