Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 17:15   #16

Re: sailing to Fiji from the Philipines

Hi All i am also interested in the route going the "wrong way" or should i say difficult way.We am currently building as Schionning G-Froce 17m cat in Vietnam and would like to head out to the pacific and a spend lot of time there before dropping down to New Zealand and then back up to continue our circumnavigation. I have spent some time researching there possibilities and was considering going to north Philippines where its still safe and then heading out to Palau (if its safe) or northern marina islands then drop down to Micronesia across to the marshals and then working our way towards french Polynesia. I know this is not a route widely traveled but i too and interested in people who have gone this way or even better ideas on how to do it.
We really want to spend time in the pacific before going out to the Indian ocean as we plan to go the South Africa route and would like to be well used to the boat by that time.
hellsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 17:01   #17

If you email me i will remember to respond. Cornell says leave in January. I have heard about leaving in September. Typhoons are obviously the big concern. we are aiming for October i think. it depends on the boat and my work schedule
Cacafuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 04:11   #18

Wind is NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacafuego View Post
Hieuhuule- if you read the post I said "from", meaning I am leaving.
Undercutter-Are you in the Philippines as well? yeah, i have read Cornell's book about it. He says that Jan. is the best time to sail east out of the Philippines, but I see that the wind is out of the north all the way to Samoa right now in November
The Nov monsoon winds are coming from the NE not N.

Just my 2 "sense".

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 11:33   #19

G2L, have you made that trip? Are you in the area?
Cacafuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 11:54   #20

Boat: Jeanneua 36

Quote:
Hey All,
My family and I are planing to sail our 45' mono hull from the Philippines to Fiji in the next few months.
Has anyone made that trip? Might they share their experiences with wind a current?
Thanks
mate did it some years ago in a slow boat(not the best sailing yacht) and said he enjoyed the trip but went frew a heap of diesel, very little wind , he went over the top of NG.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 19:33   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Hey All,
My family and I are planing to sail our 45' mono hull from the Philippines to Fiji in the next few months.
Has anyone made that trip? Might they share their experiences with wind a current?
Thanks
Have made this trip a few times during different seasons, but on larger yachts.

I would do it in stages.....wait out the worst of the NE Monsoon which surges from Now thru to mid- March and then head to Palau when the seas die down to get some Easting on probably a close reach.

Enjoy Palau at its best as far as diving, then head south through PNG and Solomons, again waiting for favourable changes at good locations, while enjoying the trip.

If you want the family to enjoy, don't be a slave to a schedule, but instead make use of changing weather systems to get to Fiji, via short passages.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 03:19   #22

Quote:
G2L, have you made that trip? Are you in the area?
I'm experiencing the winds at the moment. They are stronger than in a normal year, which is good news in some respects as they are keeping typhoons away from the PHL.

Never done the trip, so I suggest you take the advice of old hands like Pelagic and the Cates who know the area much better than I.

Best of luck,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fiji, sail, sailing