Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2010, 23:05   #16

SHALLOW DRAFT BOAT FOR SALE?

Gang,

I had a line on a Mac 26 on sale in the PI for a reasonable price, but it got sold before I could make an offer on it. Hence, that trip I was mentioning is on hold, til I can find another suitable boat. Maybe someone can help?

The Mac fit our needs because we will only spend a few months a year cruising, and mostly in shallow waters, close by home in the Philippines. The other part of the year, we will need the boat to make supply runs from our relatively remote "homestead" into "town". The Mac's speed under power was a real bonus in that regard.

If anyone knows of a suitable, shallow water boat for sale anywhere "near by" meaning PI, Singapore, HK, Malaysia or Indo, please let me know. I work via the internet, so I can take a few months to leasurely sail her back to the PI, working in port, and doing that trip I mentioned, "in reverse".

Have looked at a number of dealership sites and written to a few yacht clubs, but so far nothing has turned up. Have thought about trailerable designs and cats, either of which may work. Let me know if anyone knows of a suitable craft for 30k or under.

Thanks to all,

Goner
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:15   #17

Would you consider this boat?

Duncanson 30

As it is, I'm barely 25 years old. I just completed my degree last year, started a job I dont like and keep wishing for the day when I can get a boat and sail off into the sunset.

I saw first this ad while surfing online for boats for sale in my region (just to keep reminding myself to do the damn job I have and think of it as a means to an end). The boat's price has been reduced about 3 times, if Im not mistaken. I wonder why though. It seems like a good and comfortable boat and sufficient for coastal cruising. Perhaps swing-keels are unpopular?

If its still on the market 3 years from now, and probably at an even further reduced price, it will be mine!

Regards from the Stifling Lion City.
nazri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 13:44   #18

Getting a little closer back on topic, is it reasonable to try to get up into the BoHai in April?
Canute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 14:14   #19

Over the last few months I sailed from Labuan to Palau thru the Sulu, Celebes and Philippine Seas. Seemed safe enough. Friends had no concerns or bad experiences sailing recently between Kudat and Puerto Princessa, Palawan.

I'd guess the risk is all overblown. Some paranoid skippers were very worried about my trip and would never have done it themselves based on the folklore they'd heard. But who knows? Was I just lucky? Met many very friendly fishermen from Mindanao. They would have really liked some cigarettes and I was sorry I had none.

Kudat is nice. Sandakan is noisy and dirty. KK is okay. Kuching/Santubong is nice. Labuan is an okay city, nothing special beyond being a good place to buy liquor. Friends were enjoying the inland river trips near Sandakan.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 14:56   #20

Daddle, thank you for your comments, as I am going up to that area soon.
A freind of mine who spent 12 months sailing in that area including Mindanao never had any problems. Sometimes boats would come up along side and try and sell fish, or ask for cigarettes.
Once a boat came alongside and they appeared a bit agressive He gave them a kg. of sugar and some cigarettes and they all smiled and everything was fine.
They are really just curious and remember you are in their country.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote