Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 09:30   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Repair Facility in Cook Islands

An internet acquaintance is in the Cook Islands of the South Pacific. He is in need of getting his rudder repaired or replaced. Does anyone have suggestions for a shipyard/repair facility?

Thanks in advance.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 14:36   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Repair Facility in Cook Islands

We haven't been there for a long time, but I'm fairly sure one could arrange a crane to haul one out, and sort of ad hoc props---there are builders, highways, and airport, etc. He'd want to drop the rudder while he was in the air.

There are flights to Raro from NZ, and what you need to DIY could be sent to you. I do not have any idea if there is someone there who could do it for your friend; my suspicion is that he'd better get ready to read up on it and do it himself.

Also, if he's from the US, there are rudder makers in FL that I have read about here on CF, perhaps he could have one of them build him one, and ship to Raro. He may wind up being there longer than he'd like, but it will become a treasured adventure, as time passes. PS. There's a good library.

Ann
Old 23-08-2017, 18:53   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Repair Facility in Cook Islands

Which island? Some are closer to major foreign ports. The main island is Rarotonga if he gets there he can find welders etc. there is no boatyard per se catering to sailing yachts.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 18:44   #4

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Repair Facility in Cook Islands

Hi, we've just left the Cook Islands. The only place that he might be able to get something like this done is Rarotonga but it's not easy. There is no slip for yachts but they can be hauled with a crane (depending on size). Email Keith Christian at Sail Rarotonga. He has the closest thing there is to a yard, a good amount of expertise, a lot of parts and will order stuff in in advance if necessary. We bought an alternator from him about a month ago and I got to know him a bit. Seems like a really solid guy and he will proactively work with your friend to repair or replace the rudder. Don't have the contact details I'm afraid but I'm sure you can google him.

If your friend can make it to Tonga there's a good yard in VaVa'U now that will handle the job. That's probably the closest down-wind place to the Cooks with full services.

note about Raro - the harbour is not very nice. It's a commercial dock and it's open to the North so gets really nasty in there in a northerly blow. It could also get expensive if he ends up there for a while on the dock. Something like two dollars fifty New Zealand per metre per day. It adds up fast.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cook Islands