Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2010, 04:41   #166

Boat: Swan 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-K View Post
I agree with Brent and will be avoiding Nanimo this year and holding up in Silva Bay when heading north
I second that. I lived near Silva Bay when I attended the boat school... I really liked Gabriola and it's inhabitants.
Old 13-03-2010, 05:27   #167

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Not sure why you would want to stay in Nanaimo anyway,super noisy and lots of boat wash,float planes coming at you from all angles,etc,etc.
Old 13-03-2010, 13:01   #168
cruiser

Park your dingy on the beach under the govt dock at Gibsons, or anywhere else.. Free and you can lock it to a piling or rocks . We don't want to encourage excess charges for dinghy landing.
Old 15-03-2010, 15:12   #169

Boat: Cascade
Gibsons in nice. There is a dock below the cold beer and wine store.

Free parking.
Old 15-03-2010, 15:24   #170

Only for customers of Grammas Pub though.
Old 16-03-2010, 10:38   #171

Boat: Cascade
but who isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Only for customers of Grammas Pub though.
Cold beer ! First stop for me.
Old 16-03-2010, 13:35   #172
cruiser

Lock to the the rocks and you are on public access. Anyone trying to charge you for putting your dinghy on public access is committing criminal fraud. Ask for a bill and receipt for evidence. Eveything below the high tide line in BC is public access. I prefer Plumper Cove for overnight, to avoid the outflows ( Squamish winds) that can blow out suddenly in the night . They are forecast on the VHF weather forecasts .
Port Graves. the eastern most large inlet on Gambier Island, is shallow enough for good anchoring anywhere in the bay , avoiding the west side, where there may be sunken logs from the booms. The top end is best. .
Old 16-03-2010, 14:33   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Lock to the the rocks and you are on public access. Anyone trying to charge you for putting your dinghy on public access is committing criminal fraud. Ask for a bill and receipt for evidence. Eveything below the high tide line in BC is public access...
How does oine get from the tide line, to the public roadway (or anywhere useful), without trespassing on private property?

Old 17-03-2010, 13:03   #174
cruiser

The walkway on Gibsons waterfont is a public walkway. In BC, it is mandatory to survey a public access every 1200 feet. Unless it's absolutely the highest tide ever , you can walk as far as you please to ,below the highest tide line, to get to a public access.

Waterfront property in Cowichan bay is mostly moldy clapboard houses on pilings, which hardly gives them the right to criticize anchored boats as eyesores.
Old 17-03-2010, 16:57   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
The walkway on Gibsons waterfont is a public walkway. In BC, it is mandatory to survey a public access every 1200 feet. Unless it's absolutely the highest tide ever , you can walk as far as you please to ,below the highest tide line, to get to a public access.

Waterfront property in Cowichan bay is mostly moldy clapboard houses on pilings, which hardly gives them the right to criticize anchored boats as eyesores.
You just can't let some things go can you? Everyone else agreed to stay on topic, but not Mr. Swain. Your first point was relevant but not the second point.

Please tell us what this has to do with anchorage fees in Nanaimo?
Old 17-03-2010, 17:19   #176

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
im sorry but i have to agree with mr swain here the issue i think doesnt revolve around anchoring fees in nanaimo but what is happening in general all over our anchorages. if something doesnt get done about this then before you know it there will be no anchorages left and the cost of cruising or living aboard will be accessible only to the wealthy. and seeing how i am not a wealthy man i take serious offense to this idea.
Old 18-03-2010, 13:24   #177
cruiser

It has to do with alternatives, and Cowichan Bay's plans to play "me too" in harassing anchored boaters, by using flimsy excuses, for the benefit of the real estate industry..
No, I can't let attempts to force me and others out of a lifestyle we enjoy, go, for the benefit of welfare bums in the real estate industry, and we never will lie down and play dead over the issue.
We all benefit from the efforts of those who preceeded us in preserving the freedoms we enjoy . Apathy in defending them would be a betrayal.
Old 18-03-2010, 13:48   #178

I always thought seeing boats anchored in a bay made it more attractive to look at for the non boaters on shore.
Old 18-03-2010, 15:08   #179
cruiser

Condo dwellers in False Creek have told friends the same. They only offend real estate agents, who see someone escaping having to pay welfare to them.
Old 18-03-2010, 15:45   #180

Maybe if real estate prices came back down to earth ,there wouldn't be so many escaping for a life on the waterfront.Brent is right.The gap between the average and the ultra rich is widening,eroding the rights of the common taxpaying citizen.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, anchoring, fees