Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 00:23   #1

Boat: Nacra 5.8
First cruise - Singapore to Tioman

Hi, I'm relatively new to sailing. Having been scared off as a kid by how cold and windswept the North Sea is, I'm now living in the warmer climes of Singapore. Frankly Phang Nga bay is much more conducive to learning to sail than Gateshead is.

I've been playing about on a Nacra for the past 15 months or so, and have got stuck in to a few RYA and ASA courses, and I have my first 28-footer arriving soon.

I'm planning a first trip up to Tioman and back to Singapore at the beginning of April. Any wise advice for a first-timer? From what I can read it sounds like a fairly simple trip, but I don't really have the experience to say that for sure. How long should I expect it to take?

Cheers
Geoff
GeoffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 00:50   #2

Probably a long day unless you motor thru the lulls (unnecessary). Took me two full days with an overnight at Pulau Goal. The only trick for a beginner is navigating the traffic out of Singapore. I stayed in the shallows where I could. Tioman is fabulous. Plan on anchoring out the first night. Or take a public mooring. Until you can snag a slip from the local cruiser mafia.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:24   #3

Boat: Cooper 60 Pilothouse Sloop
Re: First cruise - Singapore to Tioman

Hi Geoff,
Congrats on the boat.
I did the trip in 2010 as my first trip. Loved it. We anchored in the channel at Pulau Au. Incredibly beautiful. Then hopped to Tioman. As it's your first, suggets a very early daylight departure. It's about 124 miles from Western Anchorage to Tioman. So, if you can catch the tide and go with it around the corner. Once there, it's effect will ease. As Daddle says, you may be motoring a fair bit. We did, and we went in July. Grab a mooring off the beach in Tioman. We found the marina too crowded for us. The moorings are well secured in about 60 feet of water. I understand they get checked once a year by the marine group. Have Fun!
windships is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, Singapore