Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 04:43   #1

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"
Destination: Hong Kong

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum but not to the world. My wife and I are relocating to H.K. this fall where my wife is undertaking her Phd. and I will be be taking my doctorate in restorology of a cruising boat. I will be arriving in January and hope to spend my time looking for a project boat to whip into shape for livaboard and cruising. I have the skills required to take on any project. My questions to the forum ar as follows. Is Hong kong a good place to find a boat in terms of availability and affordability? I haven't seen much. Would it be better to get down to the Phillipines (Moalboal, Cerbu) for example? I have seen more boats offered there. What is the passage like to honkers in Feb./Mar.?
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:10   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombats View Post
Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum but not to the world. My wife and I are relocating to H.K. this fall where my wife is undertaking her Phd. and I will be be taking my doctorate in restorology of a cruising boat. I will be arriving in January and hope to spend my time looking for a project boat to whip into shape for livaboard and cruising. I have the skills required to take on any project. My questions to the forum ar as follows. Is Hong kong a good place to find a boat in terms of availability and affordability? I haven't seen much. Would it be better to get down to the Phillipines (Moalboal, Cerbu) for example? I have seen more boats offered there. What is the passage like to honkers in Feb./Mar.?
Hong Kong certainly not a place to complete a doctorate thesis on restoring a cruising sailboat - good place to find a boat needing restoration - but almost NOWHERE to do what you want to do. Suggest talk to Canadian Mike Allen on the N.E coast of Cebu. Mike is extremely approachable and will give accurate info without obligation - here is the website, somewhere there will be an email address. Boatshop Philippines, Inc.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
... Suggest talk to Canadian Mike Allen on the N.E coast of Cebu. Mike is extremely approachable and will give accurate info without obligation - here is the website, somewhere there will be an email address. Boatshop Philippines, Inc.
Mike & Mitchel Allen
Boatshop Philippines
Sitio Malbago, Barangay Luyang
Carmen, Cebu, Philippines
Tel: +63 (32) 429 9429
Email: boatshop@boatshop.com.ph
Postal (snailmail): P.O. Box 5
Carmen, Cebu, Philippines 6005
Web: Boatshop Philippines, Inc. | Frequently Asked Questions

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:23   #4

Boat: Swan 56
There's a healthy 2nd hand market in Hong Kong. More boats here than anywhere else in Asia, with the exception of Phuket perhaps. I don't think that there's much difference in price anywhere in Asia.

A project boat will more than likely be advertised on the Yacht Club notice boards here, rather than on the internet, so that's maybe why you haven't come across anything. There is certainly way more boats for sale in Hong Kong than the Philippines.

I'm not sure how much of a "project" you are prepared to take on. If it's something that could happen out on a mooring , then Hong Kong is as good as anywhere and better than most for being able to get hold of hardware items, getting fabrication done etc. There's also no problem getting bits imported - this is not the case in the Philippines.

If it requires to be out of the water and in a yard for a long period of time, Hong Kong is not the place to do it - Philippines would be better.

Another consideration is whether you will be doing all the work yourself, or will be paying others. Labour in the Philippines is much cheaper than Hong Kong
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
If it's something that could happen out on a mooring , then Hong Kong is as good as anywhere and better than most for being able to get hold of hardware items, getting fabrication done etc.
I was in HK the other day and spent time in the New Territories, there was not one slip available in a marina or a yacht club - nor any moorings in the whole of Port Shelter or Hebe Haven. Here is picture of the Moorings administered by the Marine Dept and HHYC.
Agreed there is probably plenty of boats for sale in HK - but if taken to the Philippines =TAX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hebe Haven Moorings.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	17719  
Old 12-07-2010, 02:21   #6

It's true - Shelter cove moorings are in short supply - It's the most popular mooring spot in Hong Kong and the Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter is about to be lost to infrastructure development, which is putting pressure on the moorings there.

But it's not difficult to get a mooring in Hong Kong if you're prepared to go to the less sought after locations - It'll be cheaper too - especially if you go direct to the Marine Department. A fraction of the cost that the yacht clubs and private mooring go for.

I presume that whatever boat gets bought for the project will be on a mooring at present.
Old 18-07-2010, 04:26   #7

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I am looking forward to the search process of finding a suitable boat to restore and make ready for sail/live aboard and hope that hong kong doesn't prove to be too formidable a place to undertake such a project. We will be spending September to April there and the remaining months in Georgian Bay Canada so I will have to make arrangements to be "on the hard" for that time. I gather from your responses that H.K. is not the place to be doing work out of the water. Is this because of the expense of out of water storage? I intend on doing all the work myself as that is what I do and will need to continue as it is more of an occupation of my time while my wife attends to her PhD. The type or extent of work will of course be dependent on the price. I would love to find a Swan 40 in need of repair but that's a dream. Anyway thanks again and I will keep checking in to see if anyone has any ideas.
Old 18-07-2010, 06:42   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440
In short - forget HKG !! You may find a marina berth at the Gold Coast, in Tuen Mun, but if work on the hard is required then there will probably be no possibility in HKG. We found having to complete the systems and interior work on our cat here an exercise in frustration - the contractors are particularly provincial and unless the boat is at Aberdeen, possibly Saikung, it is "too far" from where they might be located, perhaps 45 minutes by freeway. Basically they are to expensive, not interested and unreliable. The RHKYC is the only exception but you must be a member and their yard in Causeway Bay is very busy and has limited hard stand space. If you happen to find your project boat in HKG take it to the Philippines.
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 18:07   #9

If you have to have the boat out of the water for 6 months of the year, HK is going to be expensive - probably so expensive that the project boat idea will not be viable.

I have a different experience to the above poster re getting work done. I've never had a problem finding the right skills - but yes, much more expensive than Philippines.

Hong kong does have the advantage of having lots of marine hardware and materials available - there is a lot of choice. Try getting hold of marine ply, 316 plate, dyform rigging etc in the Philippines - in HK it'll take a couple of hours, in Philipines this may take weeks - or what you need just doesn't exist.
Old 18-07-2010, 21:10   #10

Zoombats,
If you want to work on the boat out of the water :- Philippines better option all round
ie.. Cost - availability - materials - labour .
Subic Bay has liftout and hard standing - plenty boat builders.
Maya Maya has excellent travel lift and inexpensive accommodation - Maya-Maya
Puerto Galera Yacht Club well worth contacting - The Puerto Galera Yacht Club - The Best Sailing and Water Sports In The Philippines In Equator Asia
And if you are building or repairing a boat in the Philippines - http://pinoyboats.org
Old 19-07-2010, 01:09   #11

If staying in Hong Kong is important to you, there is the option of buying in Hong Kong and taking the boat to the mainland for work.

There are boat yards up the river from Macau, which would be a commute time of about 2 hours from Hong Kong. One is owned by an American ( SEAHORSE MARINE ) and he has acted as a go between for the legalities and negotiation with other yards before.

Alternatively, if the need to stay in Hong Kong isn't so great and you really want to do the work yourself, I'd recommend looking into buying in Phuket / Singapore and doing the work in Malaysia - or at least somewhere out of the Phuket area (this is now more expensive than Hong Kong)
Old 19-07-2010, 01:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombats View Post
I would love to find a Swan 40 in need of repair but that's a dream.
Not one of those, but there's a nice Peterson 46 going for a very reasonable price. More a TLC boat than a project
Old 19-07-2010, 02:54   #13

The idea that one can get permission to go into China's Zhuhai Special Economic Zone just north of Macao to work on a boat that was bought in Hong Kong as a project is good news.
In recent discussions with Bill Kimley of SM, he made no mention of any changes to the rules and regulations that would permit such a project. The simple difficulty of obtaining a multiple entry tourist visa to the economic zones is daunting enough, but to obtain a permit to bring one's boat into Zhuhai, then live on it while one works on it - that will require extraordinary influence with the Chinese authorities.
Old 19-07-2010, 04:10   #14

Thanks all. I will have to locate my operation in HK and I will have to live aboard. Depending on the availability of a suitable boat I wouldn't have a problem with keeping the boat somwhere else for the months that I will be back in Canada. The main reason for buying in HK is that my budget won't allow me the choice of roaming around looking for boat. I will do all my work myself and will need a supply line so Bewitched sounds spot on with their suggestion. I should redefine my "project boat" as not having to be a restoration/ressurection but more of a refurbishing. Again without seeing any pricing or offerings, I'm really in the dark at this moment.
Old 19-07-2010, 04:36   #15

Zoombats,
Sincerely hope that you and your wife are able to fulfill your objectives in Hong Kong. It is rated as one of the most expensive places to stay and work on this planet.
All the very best wishes and good luck.

Tags
Hong Kong