Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 16:00   #1

Boat: 51' Seahorse 462 Sedan
Clearing Out of the Philippines

Our plan is to depart Subic Bay bound for Hawaii. We would like to clear out of immigration/customs in Subic Bay since we are familiar with the officials/process. However, if it takes us 4-5 days to actually motor out through the San Bernadino straits, is there a problem with the officials along the way? Any stories, advice, or experience would be appreciated.
roundtopdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 22:37   #2

Why not just Clear Out at PGYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtopdr View Post
Our plan is to depart Subic Bay bound for Hawaii. We would like to clear out of immigration/customs in Subic Bay since we are familiar with the officials/process. However, if it takes us 4-5 days to actually motor out through the San Bernadino straits, is there a problem with the officials along the way? Any stories, advice, or experience would be appreciated.
This is all second hand, but I have heard that it is no big deal. What most folks do is sail (if its NE monsoon) down to Nasugbu and stay there the first day either anchored out at White Beach or berthed at the Maya Maya yacht club. You can google them on the net and talk to them about such things.

From Nasgubu, its another day sail down to Puerta Galera, just across the straights, and most folks stay there the second day. Again, talk to the PGYC about checking in or out, but I doubt there is any issue.

You can clear out from Puerta Galera and you've got a pretty clear shot from there, around Marinduqe and out the straits. Or, you can stop in Albay or Sorsogon. Ask the PGYC on that link.

Personally, If I were doing the trip, I would talk to the folks at PGYC about clearing out of there instead of Subic. They seem really open to yachtsmen and they have customs and immigration folks right there. Mooring is cheap, and it's a nice spot.

I haven't heard any bad stories, and you could post another thread inquiring about any, as a backup. Also, try inquiring at pinoyboatbuilders.com . These are local guys, some of whom cruise big boats, and they know the country and what/who to look out for. Same with Peter Capatosto at Taal Yacht club - google the address.

Happy Cruisin'

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 04:16   #3

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM
Re: Clearing Out of the Philippines

I believe you could clear out of Aparri - the very North of Luzon Island. I used to live there - but never brought the yacht there.

From Subic you have 350 nm before you get to Aparri... you not planning on leaving the boat (restock on cold beer ?? Pork products) at all ??
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 20:19   #4

Boat: Swan 56
Re: Clearing Out of the Philippines

If your boat is already in Subic, it makes sense to clear from there.

You would be very unlucky to experience trouble from any officials before you passed through the straits.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines