Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55   #1

Brisbane vs Auckland

Looking to move to Brisbane or Auckland. Brisbane has the warmer weather and Great barrier Reef is relatively close for weekend cruises. Can any one give me any advise/experiences with sailing in NZ?
marktre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:12   #2

Re: brisbane vs auckland

Go NZ. Nicer folk. For example, if you overstay your visa they'll give you a free bottom job and running lights.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:04   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Go to AUS. Nicer people there. If you come with a dirty bottom, they will actually hoist you and clean you before you go into the harbour.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Go to AUS. Nicer people there. If you come with a dirty bottom, they will actually hoist you and clean you before you go into the harbour.

b.
At no small expense!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

But, Brisbane itself is probably the most boring city in Australia, Moreton Bay is cool, but shallow. Auckland is such a good place to sail apart from the temperature. Auckland would get my vote of those two, but there are better places in Australia to choose from.

Coops.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:21   #6

Re: Brisbane vs Auckland

If you're moving to live in one or the other places, you're most likely Australian. No? If not please tell me how you're going to evade being caught once your visa expires. In addition to learning to sound like an Australian, I need to know how to evade capture too.

Spent almost three years in Australia, mainly in Brisbane. Great city and mostly friendly people. If you speak English, there's no problem being able to converse with them. HAVE PLENTY OF STARBUCKS too! The infrastructure in Brisbane is second to none. Bike trails galore, free internet at modern, well staffed public libraries. Good anchoring alternatives in the river with access to shore and services. Don't want to anchor? Then watch the pilings near the old botanical gardens for an opening. There are marinas too, but since I avoid marinas like the plague, cannot comment on slip availability. But, my sense is they are expensive - just like everything else in Australia.

Sure, the fees are high, but you have access to an excellent transportation system, parks, entertainment and cultural centres/museums. Breakfasts that'll stuff your arteries but taste great. A melting pot of people from every nook and cranny in the world. I could go on, but I think you get the jest of what I'm saying. You get full value for your money unlike many other destinations in the world. $300 U.S. to visit Cartegena for only two months?! Over $1,000 to cruise the Maldives, and no place to anchor because the resorts control anchoring around the motus?

Australia, hands down. But then I've never been to N.Z., so can't compare.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It depends on what you are used to. I prefer Brisbane because I think Auckland is cold and wet, but if you are coming from Scotland, Auckland would feel just like home. If you are based in Brisbane, you can go places where its warm and wet, warm and dry, and cold and wet, and not have to change your currency.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28   #8

Spent the better part of a year in Auckland and several months in Brisbane. Auckland reminds me of Vancouver, pretty place, decent summers but rains in the winter. Brisbane is much warmer and much drier winters. From a climate there is nothing to consider as Brisbane is much nicer.
Of course it depends on what your planning on doing when you get where our going as that usually decides for you. The folks in both countries are wonderful, Aussi's a bit more aggressive, somewhere between an American and a Canadian and the Kiwi's are Canadian light.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Spent the better part of a year in Auckland and several months in Brisbane. <content didacted> The folks in both countries are wonderful, Aussi's a bit more aggressive, somewhere between an American and a Canadian and the Kiwi's are Canadian light.
Another way to describe disposition:

American - In your face...
Canadian - Confronted with a problem will organize a committee, write letters - very civilized.
Aussie's - Maybe in your face, prone to avoid political debate and confrontation.
Old 05-08-2013, 23:08   #10

Having lived in both Brisbane and Auckland for 6 years each, and sailed in both, they are great places with many positives.

Brisbane weather is generally great for 10 months a year. Two months over summer can get pretty uncomfortable. Sailing in Moreton Bay is Ok. Pretty shallow, and apart from a trip to Moreton Island has limited weekend sailing. Sailing with more time opens up more opportunities up the sunshine coast toward Bundaberg or down the Gold Coast.

Brisbane is a pretty progressive city, with the bonus of larges centres North and South. Great Barrier reef is NOT a weekend sailing trip!

Auckland on the other hand has cool winters (though some great winter sailing with no one around) and generally the best sailing summers (23-25 deg C most days) and must have some of the very best cruising grounds right on its door step. I struggle to think of another city with 1.5m people that has cruising grounds anywhere near as expansive and pristine as the Hauraki Gulf, and as a Bonus the Bay of Islands is only an overnight sail away.

Auckland isn't as progressive as Brisbane, but has come a long way in the last 10 years.
ab1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 23:11   #11

Not much difference between Aussies and Kiwis in my view
Old 05-08-2013, 23:16   #12

Just for reference, Brisbane to the very South end of the Barrier Reef is 250nm (about the same as Miami to Bahamas) and 500nm to the main sailing area of Whitsundays - so certainly not a weekend cruise.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:14   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Pretty bludi simple really. Brisbane, hands down.
Why, well most of the Aucklanders have already moved to Brisbane, they must have good reasons.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:49   #14

Boat: Traditional 30

New Zealand is a lovely country and Auckland is a lovely city. If we Aussies were more motivated we would probably invade NZ one sunday afternoon and keep it as ours. But we arent that motivated as more kiwis immigrate here than Aussies moving there.

Much to our own dismay, kiwis get medicare and the dole here also. However, they dont get government handouts on mooring costs etc. So we only see the wealthy Kiwi boats come to visit as a general rule. But they are nice people. Nearly as nice as aussies. Nearly!

As for sailing in Auckland, its great! The kiwis sure know how to build good marinas and the town is known as the City of Sails for good reason. Good Sailors come from NZ. Then they end up in aus of course because its too bloody cold to sail in NZ in winter. But the marina complex in Auckland is very well built- especially for goddam kiwis.

Naturally there is a banter between kiwis and Aussies. And they get out humor. Usually sometime later, but they get it all the same.

Brissie would be my choice of the two. No, you're not even close to "the reef" but you can sail in a t-shirt pretty much all of the year. And dont worry, if you move into the suburb of Logan you will still meet lots of kiwis so its a double win. (seriously- dont move into Logan though)

From Brissie you will still be a couple of days sail from the very bottom of the reef. With lady Elliot -lady musgrave islands being the "arguable" start of the reef. Approx 250nm north.

I guess it comes down to what you are looking for as far as climate and also work opportunities.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:57   #15

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1974 View Post
Just for reference, Brisbane to the very South end of the Barrier Reef is 250nm (about the same as Miami to Bahamas) and 500nm to the main sailing area of Whitsundays - so certainly not a weekend cruise.
Pretty much correct except for the Whitsundays part. The Whitsundays is the "tourist" group of islands. There are much prettier and quieter island groups like the Percy group, Cumberland group etc. Then again, that's subjective of course.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Auckland, brisbane, auckland