Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 07:55   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Baja Ha-Ha

Tis the season to head south.......
we're pulling out early to take advantage of some of the summer weather in Southern California........
To some of the native cruisers in the southern Cal area, How about some hints on the anchorages, (prefered free or at low cost) in the southern Cal area..
And also, where to find a supermarket in areas withing walking distance of leaving your boat..
Any info would be helpful for alot of us........Thanks
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
We sailed from Seattle to Mexico a year before the Ha ha started.

When we anchored in Monterey Bay, we took our canvas bags and started walking to find provisions. We stopped in a bakery, and after having a snack we asked the girl behind the counter for directions to a grocery store. She looked at us with a rather blank stare and asked if we had a car. When we said we were on foot, she said,
"You'll never get there. It's awfully far."
We said, "How far is it?"
She pondered for a few seconds and said, "It's about eight blocks".

True story.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Randy:
The best resource for the marinas and anchorages is Amazon.com: The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California: Golden Gate to Ensenada… this book. Goes into detail on where you can anchor etc. I've studied it a lot. I think my copy is on the boat right now. But I'll give you some thoughts from memory. Port San Luis free anchorage and inexpensive moorings. There are no stores close by. From there we went all the way to Santa Barbara. Anchorage availalble south of Stearn's Wharf. You can stay a few nights in the public marina for a minimal fee and they have very nice showers. You can stop a few places before Santa Barbara -- Cojo comes to mindjust south of Point Conception. never been there but is supposed to be a good anchorage. We went out to the Channel Islands from there and there are lots of free anchorages. You have to bring your own supplies. Nice place but can get very windy.

From there we went back to Ventura which is a nice spot but there is no anchoring and berthing is fairly expensive. From either the Channel Islands or Ventura you need to decide whether to take the coastal route or the island route. We have done both. The coastal route takes you past Marina Del Rey (very expensive berthing), Redondo Beach has King Harbor which has a small place where you can anchor (have to use 2 anchors) for 48 or 72 hours. Didn't get off the boat. I don't know if there is any anchorage in Long Beach. I haven't been there in years. Newport Beach has no free anchorage but you can get a mooring for $5 a night subject to some limitations. They also have berths that have a 40' limit so make sure that you have a 40' boat if you want a berth for the night. Next place that you can anchor is Dana Point. There are two anchorages there. One on the South side and another on the north side. Use the north side one b/c the south has a bait barge and the pelicans are brazen and will land and crap all over your boat. Next anchorage from there is San Diego.

If you take the offshore route you can go to some of the smaller islands and then end up in Catalina. There are lots of anchorages there but they can be quite crowded in the summer.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 16:27   #4

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Santa Cruz Island has a lot of good anchorages and is only a short sail to Santa Barbra, Ventura or Channel Islands Harbors for supplies. Have a great trip. We will be heading down ourselves in October.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 19:41   #5

Boat: Privilege 39
We are joining the Haha this year... We are heading out The Gate in early September for a leisurely trip down the coast. We plan to keep our position report on our blog up to date to the degree we can, if anyone is in our general area feel free to contact us (see the contact tab on our blog). See my .sig for blog link.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 20:41   #6

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
"You'll never get there. It's awfully far."
We said, "How far is it?"
She pondered for a few seconds and said, "It's about eight blocks".
Did you make it?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 22:48   #7

If anyone needs any info or support while down here in San Diego, please feel free to send me a private message. More than happy to leverage any contacts I have and/or steer you in the right direction. We're currently at a slip in Shelter Island which is smack dab in the middle of all the major cruising activity.

Welcome to America's Finest City!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 07:49   #8

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
We are joining the Haha this year... We are heading out The Gate in early September for a leisurely trip down the coast.
Same Here, Going to be in the bay and the meeting on the 8th and then it off to Southern Cal...........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 09:09   #9

Boat: Downeast 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Tis the season to head south.......
we're pulling out early to take advantage of some of the summer weather in Southern California........
To some of the native cruisers in the southern Cal area, How about some hints on the anchorages, (prefered free or at low cost) in the southern Cal area..
And also, where to find a supermarket in areas withing walking distance of leaving your boat..
Better bring some summer weather with you. Summer hasnt arrived here yet.
agrainofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 23:56   #10

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrainofsand View Post
Better bring some summer weather with you. Summer hasnt arrived here yet.
We won't be bringing any from SF Bay, either!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 00:23   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if you wont bring any summer, please do bring a huge heater so we canmaybe find some warmth here this year......the anchoragwe number, as in the article, was misnumbered--there is no anchorage 8 any longer--the transient anchorage is anchorage 9, up by the coast guard station. to get permitted there you must present at the municipal docks/cop docks for inspection by harbor police and obtain permit for the anchorage.

usually what is done is there is an anchorage in glorietta bay just for the baja haha folks--and others stay in marinas in north san diego bay.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 02:15   #12

Boat: Sadler 26
HI Randy, in order to get a flavor of Haja Ba Ba, do your self a favor and read BAJA DREAMING by Rod Kulbach and you will be treated to a wonderful book, beautifully written, and really get a wholesome feel of the Baja Peninsular
Old 15-08-2010, 09:09   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
sailpenelope--you are most correct. to add to the words you wrote-san diego is not a boater friendly place for those who are on a smaller budget. if you need boat parts, see the downwind and san diego marine exchange folks and open an account with them. get them to get you into the computer system they have for cruising. downwind holds mail and has other amenities for cruisers not found in many chandleries. they print a cruiser guide to baja and southbound cruising, and take good care of the cruiser. they also have donuts and coffee wedsnesdays at 1030....and they have chris frost, owner of the business. he is most excellently intelligent about sailing and sailboating. no, they dont pay me for advertising. i like the store. is a good example of a well run chandlery.

the anchorage for the baja haha is a good one--is quiet and is just south of the coronado bridge, and just north of naval amphibious base. harbor police make sure no one else anchors there and they are protective of the haha folks.

if you have questions or need to get around in this area, please let me know. by december i should have a car in puerto escondido , also, as my boat will be sailing to the yard there in december......

and please, please bring us some summer.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 18:56   #14

Quick update for anyone on the ha-ha circuit; for provisions you can hit up the point loma farmer's market. Just head up to La Playa Cove on a weekend, and hit up the farmer's market on Sunday morning: San Diego Point Loma Farmers Market
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 19:31   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Hey, Randy, south of SD you'd better start looking for "Supermercados" rather than "Supermarkets." There are three types of grociers in Baja: Mercado; Supermercado; Mini-Supermercado.

I kid you not.

Keep us posted during your voyage, if possible. With the number of Baja vets on this forum, no doubt someone will be able to give you a recommendation, or at least a compass bearing, in any given port of call.

I know for a fact that there are other CF forum members doing the Haha this year. (I was invited to crew on one of the boats, ahem.) Maybe it's time for you folks to shout out to each other?

Tags
baja, Mexico