Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 19:25   #1

Boat: Still building
Anyone going to be in Port Vila between before Feb 20th 2016?

A friend of mine has been fundraising to assist Vanuatu post-Cyclone Pam and they have raised $30,000 and purchased small-scale solar lighting systems for hospitals, medical centres, schools and a remote village on the island of Tongoa, which they visited last March on a recce trip.

They can't rely on the local haphazard traders to ship equipment reliably and safely, [fragile solar panels], so are seeking assistance from yachties willing to do some "charity work".

The container, arriving Monday 25th Jan, is going into storage in Port Vila, but the first assignment for Tongoa is scheduled for 20th-27th Feb, with the co-ordinator arriving on the 16th for prep work ahead of the volunteer installers arrival on the 20th.

So ideally someone arriving or being in the area between the 16th and 20th would be perfect.

We've asked Sea Mercy but they've now finished their post-Pam mission and headed home to Fiji, so are looking for someone with a boat big enough to carry around 3 cubic metres of supplies and that can get these to Tongoa before the required date.

Some fuel money can probably be arranged but they are really looking for a "white knight"....

Can anyone assist?
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 20:03   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Anyone going to be in Port Vila between before Feb 20th 2016?

Cyclone season in Vanuatu runs November until April, and all the white knights have gone elsewhere.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 20:07   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Might try a PM to Noties, for I believe that he is a permanent resident of Vila, and is involved in the yottie scene.

Jim
Old 23-01-2016, 20:10   #4

Boat: Still building

Yeah, I know it's the wrong time of year, that's probably why my friend is having trouble finding someone to help.

But Tongoa is just north of Vila, about 60-70miles, so an easy day trip, overnight and return.

Who is this "Noties"??
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 20:48   #5

Boat: Able 50

This is a tough one because the waterfront of Vila gets almost deserted in January except for the charter boats. Even apart from cyclones the sailing in January is pretty dreadful. Most days are less than 5 knots. The trades are long gone.

I can only suggest the freighter to Epi which used to run every 2 weeks. Someone on Tongoa must own a panga which could make it to Epi quite easily.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 20:58   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Yeah, I know it's the wrong time of year, that's probably why my friend is having trouble finding someone to help.

But Tongoa is just north of Vila, about 60-70miles, so an easy day trip, overnight and return.

Who is this "Noties"??
NoTies is a member and contributor to CF. Search on his user name or go to his profile to learn more and to send a PM.

Jim