Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 20:06   #1

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
YouTube sailing.

Just finished watching the lastest video from La Vagabonde. I think they are nice couple, but sometimes this guy is a dope. What is the obsesson with jumping off the back of your boat while sailing and grabbing onto a line? I couldn't think of anything more stupid, especially if its just two people on a boat. He just jumped off, smashed his head and almost knocked himself out. Split his head wide open. If no one had been watching he would of been dead. Anther time he tried to look macho lifting his outboard motor off the rail from around a piling totally off balance. I actually was hoping he fell in with it. I like watching these shows, especially the Delos guys because they actually go for it, and the guy Brian seems like a smart Mc Guyver type. Some of these other people, who obviously didn't grow up on boats and have no skills, have just been real lucky. I have a feeling we'll be reading about one of these channels luck running out. There are so many now, that it's almost like watching reruns with different actors. How many times can we watch people follow the same route and go to the same exact place. I think the more saturated it gets the quicker it will lose its luster. Just saying lol. Does anyone who's been sailing a long time in been in real nasty **** think its a good idea to jump off your boat in the middle of the ocean and get towed like a fishing lure. I'm actually hoping a tiger shark will swim up and bite someones legs off.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 20:12   #2

Re: You Tube sailing.

Haha! I was thinking the same thing. Delos does it too. I’m to scared my wife would just keep going and write the life insurance company.
Old 09-01-2018, 21:12   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

...then why watch it?
Durangutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 21:19   #4

Cause I’m landlocked till June and it’s all I got man. Gotta live vicariously through others for a bit.
Old 09-01-2018, 21:21   #5

I'm waiting for the shark bite
Old 09-01-2018, 21:41   #6

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I'm waiting for the shark bite
you watched too many movies. and now become youtube sailor.

no wonder.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 21:54   #7

Tell that to the woman who had he leg bitten off by a great white when she jumped in the water off Christmas island. There aren't any don't go here signs underwater. Big fisheries can go wherever they want. Anyway my boat is surrounded by ice right now, so the videos are a good escape. The Delos crew at least go off the beaten path. I still think jumping off the boat while sailing is asinine. The vagabonde guy really could of drown.
Old 09-01-2018, 21:55   #8

Fishies. Damn spell check
Old 09-01-2018, 22:08   #9

Boat: LAGOON 400

i am sure they had plan b. for example partner deploying dinghy, or kayak if could not hold or wind pipped up.

Here is sydney people freely swim, knowing that large beasts hiding underwater like great whites or bull sharks and more. Long time since last attack.

crocs are much bigger danger from what i have read.

however, several people drown every weekend.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:14   #10

They are three up ie 2 other on board, clearly keepimg eyes on him as filming and this was filmed in the med where, to my knowledge, there are no serious man-eating predators. It does take strength and is not without risks, but surely, it's their choice how they spend their time and your choice whether you watch it? They are not making an instructional video on safe sailing, just recording their lives. Is everything you do always sensible?
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 16:03   #11

I'm obviously half kidding about the fish, although it has crossed my mind. Yes you are correct, I've done a lot of real stupid crap in my life. We used to set up cinder blocks with a plank in the middle of the street and see how many garbage pails and friends we could jump over like Evil Knievel on our heavy schwin steel frame bikes. Did we get hurt, yeah lol and then slapped again for walking in the door bleeding for being an idiot, but I was 13. Whatever, your right, they can do what they want, none of my business, but he was almost knocked out. Say it was just the two of them on board, which is used to be. No way is that girl who may weigh 100 lbs turning a cat around under sail and finding him before he goes under. Little common sense goes a long way, especially on the water. Don't ask for trouble was my point. To be totally honest I've done a lot of really stupid stuff, but I was always taught to respect the water, even as a kid. That was the one place you didn't mess around. Not until you were on anchor anyway.
Old 10-01-2018, 16:20   #12

Boat: Newport 28

The big difference between them, and anyone else, is it's put online for everyone to see when they do it. I watched it too, and while I know and understand the initial reaction to be "why would he do that?", the simple fact is that he would hardly be the first to do things like that. Just like people swinging around on jib poles, or getting flown by spinnakers, or countless other fun-seeking activities. I'm sure all of us, at one time or another, have done something that seemed fun at the time, and either didn't go well, or could've gone bad, and only after the fact did we go "wow that was foolish." The difference is they have it on video to share the rest of us. Just like he said, he felt stupid for having it happen. That doesn't make him any different than the rest of us.

I have had plenty of episodes of theirs and other channels that didn't interest me, so I just didn't watch them. Simple as that. But I also take away from ones like that, where I can go "you know, I didn't really think about it that way, I probably could see myself doing the same, and yeah now I can see how that would be bad." I'm sure if there were statistics of similar accidents on board all vessels on the water, we'd see things like this a lot more than we've seen publicized, but I don't fault people for making mistakes that they, and us, can learn from.
Old 10-01-2018, 16:46   #13

Can’t fault a fella for having fun. Probably safer than jumping from airplanes or free climbing mountains. Life is an adventure. Risks can be fun. And it makes for an interesting show. They got cajones to untie and go for it. I watched so many of those shows I sold my house and everything in it and am moving onto a sailboat myself. I want in on the adventure. F it.
Old 10-01-2018, 18:14   #14

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

He's actually much safer now than in the past. If you go back in their catalog, Riley has been going for a swim with the boat under sail since he got the boat and could barely sail. That left Elayna to do a solo MOB drill with no clue how to sail the boat should he miss his tow line. I think back then he really had no clue about how dangerous it was. In the grand scheme of things probably no worse than anything else he was doing in his life. Working on offshore oil rigs, breaking his neck body surfing, buying a boat to sail around the world without knowing how to sail, etc.

These days Elayna drives that cat like a champ. She'd have him picked up in no time.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 18:34   #15

Boat: 1984 Moody 27
Re: YouTube sailing.

I jumped off the beam of my boat in the Carolinas in May and thought I was going to drown before I got to the ladder. The water was ice cold. Even in the winter the water is much warmer in Florida. I wasn't sailing though, we were at anchor.

I don't think I'd jump off my boat under sail. Too much can go wrong. Not to mention there always seems to be a heck of a lot of wildlife around the boat. It's been too cold even here this past two weeks to do much in Pensacola.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing