Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 11:43   #31

Boat: Morgan 41 OI
I would like to have doors made for entry but am skeptical how waterproof they will be.
Columbia30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 13:24   #32

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Your Favorite Companionway

As far as screen goes, I don't like the slide in screens, for 2 reasons- first, you have to remove the entire assembly every time you go in and out. Secondly, by keeping the upper hatch slid shut you eliminate 1/2 the air flow.

I have a screen with a sewn fabric border that spans my entire companionway. It has snaps that snap the top to my sliding hatch. I have a thin weighted chain sewn into the border so it lies securely on the deck next to the companionway and hangs down in front of the companionway. Going in and out simply requires moving the flap aside, like a tent flap. I can roll it up out of the way rather than having an entirely additional solid hatch.

I'll try to post pix if anyone is interested.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 13:38   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
In my opinion a single ( not spilt in the middle ) metal and glass/lexan door is stronger and more watertight then conventional washboards. I remember Beth and Evans new boost had this feature. You can make it a horizontal split door if you want conventional style half protection. However my experience is that doors tend to be closed in bad weather and hence provide better protection.

However few boats have the cockpit space to handle doors.

Dave
Old 20-07-2011, 14:03   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my boat is a formosa . they have doors. pooping seas donot usually find the doors-- they usually find the waist of my boat and crash into nothing. one friend of mine had a pooping sea crash over his dink on davits and he lost the dink and the davits from that--was lucky he didnt lose his transom. there is no reason these cannot have and keep the doors they were born with.
my ericson 35mII has boards and a canvas cover or the companionway. i like the doors better inmy formosa. they are functional and dont have the problem of accepting water from a pooping sea. i s actually dry there when water comes over the bulwarks at the waist.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 14:33   #35

Boards of course... Boats have drop boards, house have doors!!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 15:24   #36

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey Zee... there used to be a guy that built security screens like MarkJ's in Mazatlan. He was located a couple of kms up that main street that runs into Zona Dorado that has the boulevard in the middle past the car dealerships. He made similar screens for windows and doors for some of the poorer folk in Maz' so I would think he is reasonable. As I recall, he did some screen work for several cruisers a few years ago. Check with the locals to see if he is still around.. Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 16:41   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
Boards of course... Boats have drop boards, house have doors!!!
Funny the lifeboat I was on yesterday had doors. I regard it as a fine example of a " boat"

Drop boards got invented for small cruisers. Because the layout of the companionway opening often couldn't support a proper door. Washboards are a poor compromise.

Dave
Old 20-07-2011, 17:48   #38

cpt phil--thankyou.
as for doors on boats--PERFORMANCE CRUISERS have drop boards.
heavy displacement cruisers were made with doors.
difference--water comes over th e transom more easily in a performance cruiser.
it takes a waaay lot of sea to poop a formosa .
Old 20-07-2011, 19:34   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I have a screen with a sewn fabric border that spans my entire companionway. It has snaps that snap the top to my sliding hatch. I have a thin weighted chain sewn into the border so it lies securely on the deck next to the companionway and hangs down in front of the companionway. Going in and out simply requires moving the flap aside, like a tent flap. I can roll it up out of the way rather than having an entirely additional solid hatch.

I'll try to post pix if anyone is interested.
Sounds like a very clever idea...I would be most interested in seeing pictures malbert...thanks!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 11:29   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
iwas thinking of placing skeeter netting on a nice set of doors made from something similar to MarkJ's security screen........ with internal and external locking abilities....just need the supplies and worker to get it done....
my boat came with the slide in screens framed with teak really nice even the forward hatch has one ..have I already said this?DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 14:01   #41

Has anyone seen or built a good solution for fully waterproofing washboards? It seems to me that if I took a good wave on mine they'd keep the majority of it out, but there certainly isn't a watertight seal either between them or between them and the cabin, so I expect I'd get a lot of dribbles coming through right on top of the engine. And if I did take a big knockdown, it seems like there'd be little high pressure streams coming in through the cracks. a nice heavy waterproof door would be sweet, but the cost of retrofitting one onto the boat is way out of my price range.
hdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 14:04   #42

The amount of water coming in during a swamping or knockdown will be the least of your problems. There's usually more water in my foulie pockets than what gets around the boards.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 16:48   #43

I built the drop boards on one of my smaller boats with a "rabbeted" edge on the horizontal seam. makes it a little harder for the water to go around. One advantage of two or 3 drop boards in heavy seas.... you can leave one in.... just in case you take water in the cockpit. Wouldnt you know it... that was the driest boat I ever owned.... :>) Bill Garden may not have been the most modern designer, but he knew how to make seaworthy designs!
Oh, and ditto what Daddle said! I guess that's a DittoDaddle...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 07:39   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

On my boat douglas 32..and others...why is the hatch off to the starboard side and not centered..?DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 07:52   #45

water comes over the waist of my boat-- my freeboard seems to keep out a lot of wanting to come aboard water... is nice n dry--bill garden rules!!!!

Tags
companionway