Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2011, 13:41   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Removal of Old Boat Name . . .

Ok we bought a new boat, removed the 4" lettered name on each side of the hull while she was being buffed and waxed. The old name was on her for the last 15
+ years and as a result there is a discoloration of the old letters that still shows. The color of the letters looks off white or almost yellowish the gel coat is still white. So I am not sure this is a "Gelcoat has faded" issue.
My questions is how can I get rid of the remaining effect. Would 1000 grit wet sand paper and then maybe go over the sides with a poly glycoat or some similar product work?

The lady at the boat title agency is telling me that the name must be on the back of the boat not the sides for a documented recreational vessel. In reading the verbage it simply states the vessel name and home port/ state must be together visibly on the vessel. It does not state where.

LAstly if I cannot remove this "residual" lettering any good ideas on covering / hiding it?
Thanks,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 13:51   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Removal of old Boat name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
... The lady at the boat title agency is telling me that the name must be on the back of the boat not the sides for a documented recreational vessel. In reading the verbage it simply states the vessel name and home port/ state must be together visibly on the vessel. It does not state where.
That's my understanding too, but it must be done on the hull. The lady is mistaken. It is just that placing name and port on the stern is most common.

Per USCG documentation center:

"The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated."
Old 25-07-2011, 14:33   #3

When we changed names, we too had ghosting of old lettering. I buffed out using Finesse it II. After new lettering applied we hardly notice old name. Also was told by several people that the lettering would fade over time. I didn't want to be too aggressive with sanding / buffing gelcoat / LP paint. I'm happy with the results.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 14:46   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

The gelcoat is probably a lot tougher than you think. When doing gelcoat repairs, I have no problem with wet sanding with 320 grit and then working my way down to finer grits. Just to save time, I'll probably forgo the 320 and start a bit finer but really it hasn't been a problem. If it is, then it is probably time to think paint.

Were it my boat, I would give it a shot with wetsanding using either 1000 or 1500 grit and then buffing compound. The only downside is that when you were finished you'd end up with this really shiny area and would feel compelled to do the rest of the hull.

My first boat had a dull hull and after trying to buff and wax twice it still looked terrible so I wet sanded with 1500 grit and then buffed and waxed. Looked great and at that point I had tennis elbow for the next six months.

On my current boat I was lucky the offending name came off, I wet sanded and buffed but the name was only on the the transom. No one really noticed the shinier transom.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 15:25   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
When we changed names, we too had ghosting of old lettering. I buffed out using Finesse it II. After new lettering applied we hardly notice old name. Also was told by several people that the lettering would fade over time. I didn't want to be too aggressive with sanding / buffing gelcoat / LP paint. I'm happy with the results.
The detailers tried a medium duty compound, probably a bit more grit then Finesse it II it did good but no cigar.
Think wetsanding with ultra fine might work I just dont want it to look bad, but if we can get away with lettering the sides and be USCG compliant we may go that route.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 16:39   #6

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Re: Removal of Old Boat Name . . .

It is not the gel coat under the letters that is different. it is the rest of the gel coat that is faded by UV.....sanding or buffing won't help....IMO..Re paint or gel coat is your only option ........Or lay the new name over the old, but then there the old adage that the old name must be stricken from the vessel, while a virgin pees on the bow!!!!!!!
Old 25-07-2011, 16:59   #7

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Removal of Old Boat Name . . .

The lettering I removed last year has been there since '88, and the letters were BIG, and on each side of the hull since it is a canoe stern. It is irritating to look at, but I can't see it when I'm making miles or enjoying destinations. I really don't think it is worth taking the amount of gelcoat off it would take to make it disappear. I'm going to wait it out and pretend I don't care, sorry no more help.

Chase
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
name removal, removal