Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 09:31   #61

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 382
Re: You Tuber Sinks

First day sailing on my newly purchased boat- a Hallberg Rassy 382 (which had been surveyed) I go to turn the engine raw water thru hull. The handle and half the stem snapped off in my hand. Fortunately no leak occurred. Till that moment the hairline corrosion was impossible to see.

First thing I did apart from dropping the fbomb was haul the boat and replace every single thru hull. Maybe that was overkill but like some of the earlier comments, preventative maintenance in a cheap, quality location makes a lot of sense to me. You always wish you’d seen these things earlier.

I feel sorry for anyone who has had a thru hull go like the you tube couple- obviously the main thing is that no one was hurt. But honestly I really didn’t like how it went into a sales pitch so blatantly.. I wish them luck as a fellow sailor and I hope they sort the problem..but I’m not buying your tshirt..just feels a bit crass, know what I mean?

All that aside take it easy ladies and gents, enjoy your day!
greybeardloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 13:05   #62

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

They indicated in the video that if the through hull had been closed it wouldn't have happened indicating a hose clamp or hose failure. Very common sadly.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 13:15   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Properly serviced and maintained through hulls don't just fail folks. I'm not implying or blaming anyone...but we also don't need to start some cruise dock rumor about how everyone's well serviced through hulls are going to fail and they should all be glasses over right away. It all comes down to maintenance...and lets be honest, maintenance isn't in the Cruising Lifestyle Brochure.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 13:18   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
No that was another couple. Boat totaled and they threw in the towel entirely.
Any more info on this one?
Old 17-10-2017, 04:51   #65

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Properly serviced and maintained through hulls don't just fail folks. I'm not implying or blaming anyone...but we also don't need to start some cruise dock rumor about how everyone's well serviced through hulls are going to fail and they should all be glasses over right away. It all comes down to maintenance...and lets be honest, maintenance isn't in the Cruising Lifestyle Brochure.
As stated above the through hull didn't fail. It wasn't closed.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 06:49   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nor do properly serviced and maintained hose and hose clamps.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:26   #67

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

It's been mentioned in this thread that not everyone closes their seacocks when they leave the boat. I don't know this particular couple, but from the look of their boat, if it's anything like most small cruising boats, it only has three seacocks:
1) engine water intake
2) head water intake
3) head overboard

It likely wouldn't have generator intake, multiple heads, or any other systems that add through hulls and up the complexity.

The head overboard should already have been closed and locked because they were apparently inside the no-discharge zone. My practice for the head inflow was to only open it when I was about to use the head. It was a ten second pre-use and post-use ritual. The engine raw water was closed every time the engine was shut down, and took about five seconds, being located at the front of the engine bay right behind the swinging steps.

My point isn't to cast aspersions on this crew, but just to point out to other budget cruisers that on small, simple boats, it is often relatively easy and straight forward to prevent this kind of thing.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 07:46   #68

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Yes, but on this age and style of boat, the sink drains for both the head and galley are probably below the water line too. Of course you can always glass the hole closed and add a grey water box/pump to discharge above the waterline, but honestly, just replacing the hose and maintaining the seacock is more than enough to keep this from happening to most of us..

edit.... It may even have the cockpit drains below the waterline too. People often forget about those.

Matt
Old 17-10-2017, 08:00   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Yes, but on this age and style of boat, the sink drains for both the head and galley are probably below the water line too. Of course you can always glass the hole closed and add a grey water box/pump to discharge above the waterline, but honestly, just replacing the hose and maintaining the seacock is more than enough to keep this from happening to most of us..

edit.... It may even have the cockpit drains below the waterline too. People often forget about those.

Matt
I'm not familiar with this model boat, but my 1980 Pearson had the sink drains above the waterline. Sometimes created some small puddles in the sinks when heeled far over in rough stuff, but not a big issue for me.

Same with the cockpit drains, both above the waterline. Maybe an advantage of older boats with some rocker aft versus more modern pizza wedges

No idea how those design choices translate to other boats of similar vintage/size, but maybe something to look for if you're boat shopping. Though as you mention, maintaining hoses/clamps is the best first step.
Old 17-10-2017, 08:01   #70
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
but honestly, just replacing the hose and maintaining the seacock is more than enough to keep this from happening to most of us..

Matt
Ding ding ding....
Exactly!

No blaming them, but it was a maintenance issue.
When was the last time you put your hands on all the through hulls and hoses attached to them on your boat?
Old 17-10-2017, 08:16   #71

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:

Matt
I owned a freedom 32. They have 4 through hulls, all deep. The two head through hulls are hard to access unless you put a large inspection port in the bulkhead behind the head, this is what I did.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 08:27   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I owned a freedom 32. They have 4 through hulls, all deep. The two head through hulls are hard to access unless you put a large inspection port in the bulkhead behind the head, this is what I did.
I stand corrected on this model

Good on you for correcting a design that didn't suit you!
Old 17-10-2017, 09:13   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Any more info on this one?
they were sailing salty mermaid

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFk...tSesp_BDhAUSpA

it appears they took down all their videos.

after a little digging I found this on another one of their channels.

if you are interested.
Breenme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 09:17   #74

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:

Matt

Yep. Our Bristol 29.9 has five seacocks - two for the head and galley sinks, two for the cockpit drains, and one for the raw water intake. We also have a thruhull for the depth sounder/speed transducer. When we bought the boat it had ten thruhulls which was completely ridiculous for a 30 foot boat. We've since glassed over five of them. Much better.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:30   #75

in sweden we use a hull-trough plug .. which is of course put from the outside....no point in doing it from the inside. you jump in the freezing water (if you are here) and plug it with a piece of cloth .. the compression of the water is enough to keep it in position. the video shows a engine pump that can easily pump 300-500 litres per minute...is literally impossible in my view to sink that boat. i dont think a single mistake caused the sinking, there must have been other things... not to mention it could have been towed to the shore.

closing cockpit hull-troughs having a heavy rain and sinking a boat is almost as difficult..unless it rains tons of water !!!
kisero is offline   Reply With Quote