Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 10:05   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Would you buy a Moldy boat at a discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The mold phobia is just another manifestation of the "everything is trying to kill me and I'm afraid" syndrome. Yes, a few people are very sensitive to mold but most are just very sensitive to the hype. It's practically impossible to eliminate mold where there's a moist atmosphere....

Ever go for a walk in the woods for some fresh air? Look under the leaves. Mold everywhere.

It's a matter if degree. If there are many leaks, there is much to fix. If it is in the cushions and lining it is problematic. But much can be done to eradicate it and to eliminate the smell, and that should be enough. After a good cleaning and fixing the leaks, the boat should not smell noticeably musty.
Old 30-09-2019, 10:11   #17

borrow an ozone generator and leave it inside for a week too
CaptainBullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 10:20   #18

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The mold phobia is just another manifestation of the "everything is trying to kill me and I'm afraid" syndrome. Yes, a few people are very sensitive to mold but most are just very sensitive to the hype. It's practically impossible to eliminate mold where there's a moist atmosphere. Does that sound familiar to all of us boat owners. Hit the surfaces with a mildewcide like bleach on a regular basis, take steps to get good airflow through the boat, fix leaks, and enjoy the boat. If you can't live with your fear of mold might want to find another hobby like photographing cactus.
Hey - photographing cactus (with a comely crewmate posing provocatively in front of it) is my favorite boat hobby.
Easy to do in the Sea of Cortez too.
Might post example(s) if crewmate gives permission
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 10:22   #19

Boat: Chrysler 22

Like above, I bought a 1975 trailer sailer. It had 50 gallons of water inside after enduring years on its trailer. Mold and bird’s nests. But I figured it wouldn’t leak once back in the water. It took little time to abate the mold after pumping it out. Just some bleach-based sprays and lots of wiping. It’s been a great boat. No leaks either, except some around the rudder stock with 4 adults on board. My advise: Do it.
chasmains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 10:27   #20

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Breathing mold spores is a known health problem in places where they are concentrated - like an enclosed boat. Mold can be found just about anywhere on earth (even off earth on our space craft) so no boat can be said to be truly mold free.
Hard surfaces are pretty easy to suppress mold growth with any of a myriad of mildewcides. Soft surfaces, if badly infested, I have found to be pretty hopeless in cleaning, and you are pretty well better off in just tossing and replacing.
Cleaning is pointless if you don’t stop freshwater leaks. Controlling condensation requires another level of effort. At a minimum, good ventilation is key.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:22   #21

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibetitsthisway View Post
"Moldy" means to me that tiny mold "spots" can be seen on every surface in the complete boat!?

This means that there is a HEAVY attack on your health, living in this environment.
you MUST remove the mold and you need to stop it from growing.

I bought such a boat knowingly for very cheap.

what I did:

a) remove everything from the inside! I mean everything! strip the hull completely naked.

b) drench the hull in hydrogen peroxide. not with 1 liter 3% peroxide from the pharmacy. but 50 or 100 liters of 10% solution at least from the next chemical production plant. cost are a few dollar by doing so only!

c) drench all the stuff you removed from the boat as well.

d) let everything dry. the peroxid will vanish completely.

c) paint averything you can paint with mold killer paint
(you need to "fix" the dead mold as it can still make you sick.)

d) throw away all you can. put in new carpets etc.

e) rebuild the boat.

f) enjoy a "new" boat for very very few money.

.. in my opinion a VERY HEAVY moldy boat will sell at 50-70% discount. it can cause severe health damage if not treated and treating is a lot of work.

in other words - a heavy molded boat is almost worthless. you buy the "package" of technical equipment an will get the boat for free.

I second Hydrogen Peroxide method -- it has worked for me for years! Mold is very slow to return to areas treated. Try it you'll like it!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Hey Moderator......
Your job is to HELP people,
not make fun of them.

(That's MY job...LOL)

sorry..but this IS FUNNY!
Old 11-10-2019, 07:37   #23

Boat: Albin Vega

Sure, it shouldn't be a case for much concern. I mean, I live in Finland, so pretty much all the older boats here have a bit of a case of mould after winter storage. Less so if stored in a dry and heated indoor shed, but even then, in rare cases.

In any case, just use a solution of chlorine to get rid of the peskiest spots, and clean (and take any textiles etc ashore!) the boat before winter storage. Some say that wiping surfaces with vinegar helps a ton in term of mould prevention, and it isn't as nasty a chemical as diluted chlorine or hydrogen peroxide.
Asmodeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:39   #24

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

I bought my boat and it was covered in mould seats cushions were damp ,mould on ceilings in bathroom and a felling and smell of dampness

Fixed all leaks cleaned mould with bleach products , dried the boat out with dehumidifer and now have no to little issues , keep the dehumidifier on when shore power keeping the moisture level below 50% will keep mould at bay, off the hook keep windows and hatches open keep dorados pointing to the wind , wipe up excess water in heads after shower and run fans , the boat now is damp fee and very comfortable.
the price can be negotiated down if the cushions are badly damaged or serious work on windows etc, but not by much if the mould is superficial i.e spots etc
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:10   #25

During our trips from Oregon to Alaska and back, our de-humidifier pulls a gallon of moisture from our interior air every twelve hours.

I have zero issue with purchasing a moldy aluminum boat, then replacing all upholstery and wood.

Would we trust our safety to a plastic, steel, or wood boat with moisture problems?
Tough call.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:28   #26

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I have been using a big dehumidifier (like a whole house one) every year to prevent mold and keep the boat fresh all winter. It has really worked. It is big and I had to put it where it could drain into a sink or the bilge. It had a big container for water but it got full unless I checked it really often. It also kept the boat warmer in the winter.

It might also help get rid of some residual mold or at least keep it at bay after you follow the recommendations by others above. You are likely to have to replace cushions and other fabrics as they are very hard to get mold and the smell out of. And I didn't have to use harsh ozone emitters which can attack so many things you don't want attacked. I haven't used a dehumidfier to rid a boat of a lot of mold but it might help.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:37   #27

I might, just plan on replacing all foam and upholstery. That can be thousands. $3-5K I would say unless you sew!
The boat in my avatar was quite damp and moldy when purchased. I totally rebuilt much of the boat and also ran an Ozone generator for a couple years whenever we weren't aboard or at work. It worked out well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tanton44 inside 001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	201390  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 15:48   #28

If cushions and other were aboard forget about it. You may get the mold out but never the smell. i have had two boats with this issue
Seiche7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 12:55   #29

Boat: Looking at Lagoon 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
Hey Moderator......
Your job is to HELP people,
not make fun of them.

(That's MY job...LOL)
OK, but will cactus grow on a boat or would it get moldy and die from all the moisture??

Moderators who are at least a little salty and crusty gives them credibility in my book.
longmt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 15:34   #30

Never use bleach...white vinegar ....bleach leaves a residue and will degrade materials
Seiche7575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mold