Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 16:55   #16

Re: Winter Cometh

I've been in as late as early December when I worked in New York City and lived on board. Because they closed the marina at that time. Now the boat stays in anywhere from late October until late November. I had a memorable solo Thanksgiving on board one year. Dam propane ran out just as I was heating things up.
But, belay this talk of winter and pulling boats I'm still thinking about the last sunset of summer:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: THE LAST SUNSET OF SUMMER
Though we have just booked a mid winter cat charter so that is something I'll have to look forward to. At least it helps break up the wait for spring. I still have a nice harbor view from the cockpit during winter layup so on a warm winters day hanging out on board is not such a bad way to spend the day though the boat does not swing around the mooring like during the warmer months.
Old 24-09-2012, 16:57   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Pulled for three days last February, so I can leave it in the water this year.

(Probably not what you wanted to hear?)
Old 24-09-2012, 17:05   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

what is a sweater? -- we did a couple of overnight sails last month and i had to put on a fleece - it got cold at night!! -- in fact had to turn off the fans for a while yesterday - just to chilly - even put on one of the 2 pair of long pants i have

and may have to break out a cover sheet for the bunk in the next week or so - maybe even a blanket

i wiil live to regret these remarks if we make the med next year

just our thoughts
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trindad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 17:30   #19

Boat: Westsail 32

Moving aboard within the next two weeks. Getting the boat ready for the long cold New York winter on the Hudson river. Plan on sailing every chance I get.
Old 25-09-2012, 00:49   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hmmm,

I must be doing something wrong. The days are getting longer, the air warmer, the whales are beginning to go south... this must be da place to be!

Now if I can just get the mast done and back in the boat...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-09-2012, 01:12   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

It does get cold here in Denmark - but Capri stays in the water 12 months per year. We do sail all year round unless the harbour freezes over (it has the past couple of years). That's why Capri has a heater.

The good news is there is always lots of room at marinas in January here. And usually the harbormaster isn't around so an overnight is a freebie.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 07:51   #22

Boat: Island Packet 380

Quote:
Thinking of having it shrink wrapped for the first time this year. Anybody have any thoughts on that? The way I'm looking at it is over a 10 year period I will spend about $5000 on having it shrink wrapped every year. I'm thinking the boat should be worth $5000 more if I do, maybe.
Have you thought about having a canvas winter cover made for the boat instead? That is the route we are going. When you compare to the cost of shrink wrapping, the canvas cover would be far less. We are getting a full custom cover for a 38 ft boat for right around $1,800. Besides with shrink wrapping, there just seems to be something inherently wrong with someone getting that close to your boat with a torch.
Old 26-09-2012, 03:05   #23

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Last year, my sailboat and speedboat went into a building. This year, with my upgrade to a keel boat from a retractable keel, I don't think the sailboat fits inside now as it is too tall. Maybe, if I get a run at it. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2037360942.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	47195  
Old 26-09-2012, 04:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczful View Post
Hauling out the middle of October in Traverse City Michigan. It will be a sad day, but looking forward to several good weekends yet. The colors are beautiful. Thinking of having it shrink wrapped for the first time this year. Anybody have any thoughts on that? The way I'm looking at it is over a 10 year period I will spend about $5000 on having it shrink wrapped every year. I'm thinking the boat should be worth $5000 more if I do, maybe.
Agree with the previous poster; consider having a cover made. We were in Northport, MI for 5 years and pulled the stick every year and stored in a heated barn. That was DA BOMB - we could work on boat projects any time, the boat was amazingly clean when we launched in the spring, didn't have to winterize. We'd haul in late Sept and launch mid-April.

Now in the Chesapeake, living aboard and staying in the water year-round, though we don't sail from Nov or Dec-April. Unless its a year that we go south ...
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 05:00   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Went in April 16th and will come out in late Nov. We are arranging to do Thanksgiving on the boat when the bay will be a ghost town.. Heck after Oct 20th or so the place is a ghost town except for a few friends who also stay in later..
Old 26-09-2012, 05:04   #26

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail
Went in April 16th and will come out in late Nov. We are arranging to do Thanksgiving on the boat when the bay will be a ghost town.. Heck after Oct 20th or so the place is a ghost town except for a few friends who also stay in later..
Our lake is so low, there will barely be a dock to use at the boat ramp. I don't do ladders, so I may have to have someone else pull my boat. We need rain pretty bad. In my slip, my keel is inches from the bottom.