Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2021, 07:16   #1

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16
Wind Vane Self Steering

Hey all, I have an older wind vane self steering device. I am looking to install it on my Vancouver 25. I am trying to find out if anyone can tell me what the maker is? It has 0 markings on it, other than the number 234 stamped into the counter weight of the vane. It looks too well finished to be homemade, but not a huge factory production either. When I purchased it, I was told that it had never been installed, and I had to remove the factory packaging paper that was on the main tubes... The seller thought it was from France. I don't know, what's your opinion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210805_014233227.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	243288   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210805_014505259.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	243289  

Name:	PXL_20210805_014517255.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	243290   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210805_014526286.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	243291  

Name:	PXL_20210805_014537169.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	243292  
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:27   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Wind Vane Self Steering

Looks kinda DIY. Well done if so.
What’s the white patch at top of the oar?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:43   #3

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Looks kinda DIY. Well done if so.
What’s the white patch at top of the oar?
===================================
looks like
suggest finding a way to set it up standing on a bracket, mimicking a transom to figure out what it actually looks like, from the partial pics is difficult to visualize.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:58   #4

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

there is another posting under the heading

Is there a reasonably priced windvane?

the rudder looks like yours?
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:03   #5

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

I agree with Davil's comment above, set it up better to visualize. What do the mounts look like, will it work on your specific transom? My initial thought what was it looks like it was made for a much bigger boat, that pendulum oar is way long for a 25' boat.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:56   #6
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Hey all, I have an older wind vane self steering device. I am looking to install it on my Vancouver 25. I am trying to find out if anyone can tell me what the maker is? It has 0 markings on it, other than the number 234 stamped into the counter weight of the vane. It looks too well finished to be homemade, but not a huge factory production either. When I purchased it, I was told that it had never been installed, and I had to remove the factory packaging paper that was on the main tubes... The seller thought it was from France. I don't know, what's your opinion?
Suggest you send your photos to Scanmar International (they make the Monitor) and ask for their assistance in identifying it.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:40   #7

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

DreamBig, would agree with suggestion to take pics when vane is oriented as if attached to transom...Cant say that I can identify what you have there. I have been looking for a vane for 2-3 yrs, both new & used...so can confirm what its not: Aries, Sailomat, Cape Horn, windpilot, or monitor. Uncertain if it is a Hebridean kit (windvaneselfsteering.co.uk) or from windyselfsteering.com. I finally broke down and have ordered a vane from Irme (in Estonia) at windyselfsteering.com...cost ($1700) is multiples less the the big 5 previously mentioned....delivery in Sept, when I will mount and report back. thnks
d
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 14:21   #8

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

In addition to Scanmar contact Windpilot (with better photos). Peter wrote a book that included descriptions of many wind vanes.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 18:46   #9

Hey everyone,

I will do what I can see if I can find some better angle pictures... The mount is missing,, Kinda, why I would like to track down the original Engineer.... It seems that the pendulum outer bearing point in part of the mount.. I was just looking for a picture or something of one mounted. As to the weather it is too big... It's seems like it will fit out Vancouver 25.... Might be a little big, but I think with it being a heavy displacement full keeler with a large transom hung rudder, we should be fine...I also have plans of mounting a tiller pilot to the wind vane in low wind situations for an easy no fuss autohelm.. Anyway,,, I will talk with those mentioned above, and see about what comes of it all... I will keep you updated... If you can visualize it... it is all put together as it should be laying on my bar.... The sticker on the rudder is from the "Boaters Supply in Kemah Tx" If you haven't visited their shop you should... you can find things stupid marked down... I believe they have a hydro vane, and a monitor in there for less than $700 each.... Not to mention just about every other bit and bob you can think of...They ship world wide... I figured for $125 bucks I could make this thing work anyway... (for I have surely wasted $125 of worse efforts.. :-) Anyway shameless plug for them,,,, but they are a good store to find some good used parts at anyway. Thanks for the reply's, sorry for my late reply, been away from the 'puter for a bit.
Old 06-08-2021, 18:50   #10

I will add Picture 4 of the weird black worm gear and pulley, looks much like what you might find on Hebridean kit, or a couple other English guy's... but none of their designs look the same other than that tid bit... The worm gear is the adjustment for the vane's orientation to the wind... It seems well build, but I have a hard time with the Nylon threads in a worm gear.. Not to sure at to the loads expressed there or not..
Old 06-08-2021, 18:59   #11

Picture 3 shows the some of the mounting area... the square... (rectangular) tubing with the 7/8" holes at either end... There is a single mount point north of that 2.5 feet. In Picture 3 you can see the exposed bearing point of the pendulum.. A quick observation might lead one to believe that a plate (triangular) might capture the bearing spindle with the pendulum stops. I don't believe the stops are welded in such a way where that makes since to me... I feel that some sort of thick plate material was used to capture and locate bearing point, pendulum stops, and mounting hardware through those Hole.. as the Rectangular tubing seems, a tad light in construction, compared to everything else... What has me scratching my head is the quality of the welds,, I wouldn't say they are perfect... but the uniformity suggests maybe an early robotic weld... I.e. weld one, two, and three are nearly Identical in type, quality and length.
Old 06-08-2021, 19:14   #12

I think in might be a Neptune, or maybe a something close to that.. hmm?

Tags
self steering, steering, wind, wind vane