Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 14:57   #121

Re: Wind Generators - Do All Serious Cruisers Have Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
We have done a lot of long distance cruising over the years places like S. Pacific. Over the years we have heard a few cruisers complain about noise and not in an angry manner about wind generators but never complain to those who have them.

The reason I think no one I have met has ever complained about the noise to those cruisers with noisy generators or wind generators is that most serious cruisers understand the importance of making power. We all live together in far off anchorages and know tolerance is an important part of the cruising community. Now I'm sure there are some who complain about the noisy portable gen set up on deck if it is getting late in the evening but again I see a lot of tolerance in such matters.

Sort of like complaining about people anchoring close by your boat. After awhile you get used to it because it is part of the cruising life.

Cheers
I agree. I'm not going to listen to that all night and day, but I don't care if someone else does unless they are right next to me. KC-135's are all I have (with a 4.5 kw genset when needed) and I'm happy.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 15:05   #122
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Actually, I'm starting to suspect that proper installation has something to do with it.
I believe this!!!
Old 13-02-2013, 15:24   #123

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I'm with Don and Bash on this as well. Turbulent air going over the blades of the gen might not only make more noise, but would also be less efficient.
Old 13-02-2013, 15:30   #124

Although I had one, I dislike the noise in the anchorage of a large wind gen like a 4 winds etc. They can be more noisy than even a big powerboat gen set. The small ones are barely audible from what I can tell.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:08   #125

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And really guys, the hyperbole gets boring: if you really think that an Air-X is as loud as a Lear Jet taking off (which I have heard) or a Banshee screaming (which I have not heard) I question your experience! The Air-X can briefly get into blade flutter in sudden gusts before the internal regulator shuts it down, and that can indeed cause a very loud sound... but it lasts a couple of seconds and then vanishes as the blades slow down. That blade flutter is what earned the earlier 403 model its reputation as an extremely noisy device -- it did not have the internal shut-down mechanism.

Finally, I too await the news about the Silent Wind. While I find the Air-X a satisfactory device, I am certainly open to improvements for the future. Should I need to replace the blades on my Air-X I will likely pop for the much quieter and allegedly more efficient "Blue Blades", and should the whole thing die (as many of you seem to wish) I'll be looking at the whole market place for its replacement.

Cheers,

Jim
Sorry Jim. I'm responsible for the Banshee comment ... I meant the quiet kind .

Seriously though, point taken. It is a bit hyperbolic. That said, I have owned an Air-X for four years now, and it is loud (to my ears) when the wind gets up over 25 knots. Could be my installation is not as good as yours, but whatever the cause, I found it loud. Not worse than my little 1000 watt generator. Not worse than running the big diesel, but all those are loud to my ears.

I will definitely report back on my new Silent Wind. Heck, I'll even record it if you like. Unfortunately this will have to wait a few more months. Water is still very hard up here, and the new generator is still in the box -- too damn cold to be workng on the boat yet.
Old 13-02-2013, 16:34   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sorry Jim. I'm responsible for the Banshee comment ... I meant the quiet kind .

Seriously though, point taken. It is a bit hyperbolic. That said, I have owned an Air-X for four years now, and it is loud (to my ears) when the wind gets up over 25 knots. Could be my installation is not as good as yours, but whatever the cause, I found it loud. Not worse than my little 1000 watt generator. Not worse than running the big diesel, but all those are loud to my ears.
Mike:

I find the opposite to be true with my 48 volt Marine Air-X. There is a little noise up to one amp of current but, not it's overbearing. But, as the wind cranks up it goes very silent. I did replace the blades last year and do have the Air-x pole with vibration mounts installed so that may have something to do with it. But, I find it be a reliable unit and my dealings with Southwest Windpower customer service were excellent. I've been very happy with the unit for the past five years.
Old 13-02-2013, 16:39   #127

Boat: too many

I think mounts are key to not using the deck as a sounding board.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:48   #128

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I think mounts are key to not using the deck as a sounding board.
Perhaps for noise perceived on board, but probably not for noise heard at a distance. At least, what the major detractors seem to complain about is the "whish,whish" sort of noise, and that is primarily an air flow/blade issue (I think!).

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-02-2013, 16:59   #129

Boat: a sailing boat

On the less noisy vane: Silent Wind, Rutland, D400, AeroGen, and the newer clones of Air- that use new design of the blade(s).

Probably many others, this is a well saturated market.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 19:22   #130
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I was just standing next to a D400 and all I heard was the banshee noise from the Air-X of the next boat.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 20:22   #131

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I was just standing next to a D400 and all I heard was the banshee noise from the Air-X of the next boat.
AAhhh, NIck, you poor mistreated bugger. Until the D-400 chaps come out with a WG as inexpensive and as light as the Air Marine models, I reckon that you are just gonna suffer these agonies.

From the description, it sounds like you were in a marina, and I do agree that one should turn off one's wind gen of ANY sort while in a marina environment.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13-02-2013, 20:32   #132
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
AAhhh, NIck, you poor mistreated bugger. Until the D-400 chaps come out with a WG as inexpensive and as light as the Air Marine models, I reckon that you are just gonna suffer these agonies.
That's what I thought, people don't care about pollution (and windgen noise = pollution) when it touches their wallets. Even don't care about their neighbors.

The reason that quiet boats don't come complaining at noisy boats (windgen/ genset/ whatever) is that they try to be tolerant; it is not because they like the noise from their neighbor.

We spent some extra hard-earned cash on more solar panels and a genset that you can't hear running so that our neighbors can enjoy the anchorage too. It's often a choice.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:05   #133

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Thanks everybody for the lively discussion. I am learning SO MUCH! I am going to go with solar only for now (with Hondas 2000 as back up).

Thanks again, such great information.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 22:14   #134

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Thanks everybody for the lively discussion. I am learning SO MUCH! I am going to go with solar only for now (with Hondas 2000 as back up).

Thanks again, such great information.

Cheers, Bill
Good choice Bill. This will be your only maintenance. This is how gulls return the favor of not being clunked in the head by a spinning turbine blade.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 23:07   #135

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

Thanks for the good information on the thread. It has helped me to decide to go with all solar (and LifeP04 batteries) for my upcoming project.

Tags
wind