Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2005, 17:16   #46

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Capt Lars,

I think we'd all agree peoples beliefs can be modified - but their ability to view a black pole easier than an orange one or an orange one easier than a black one is surely physiological and cannot be changed - without glasses or surgery?

Hence my point that if some forum users believe they view black best - then IMHO they should go for a black pole. If they view orange best - then IMHO they should just go for orange.

Personally I'd never try to convince another person that my opinions could change their eyesight - and I'd surely agree anyone who could do that would be very smart indeed.

Cheers

JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 18:04   #47

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I'm good with that. I did not know you could buy a black MOB. Still learning.

capt lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 20:22   #48

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We seem to be splitting some hairs. OK. When I took my skippers ticket class they stressed doing anything to make yourself bigger, brighter, or different for rescuers. Seems simple enough. To me, black fits none of those. Bright colors, reflective surfaces, strobes, etc. do seem to fit.

I really hadn’t thought about the color of my bottom paint being a safety issue. I just had it painted a traditional blue. Next year, I think I’ll change to something brighter.

The jibes between monohull and Multihull drivers are fun, based on the comment earlier I guess monohulls should paint their topsides with a sonar reflective surface so they might be found on the bottom.

Alienzdive. What the hey? Did a Kiwi refuse to let you give him a shoe shine? Those I have met are generally great folk, with the possible exception of those that habitually kick our collective asses in the Americas Cup.

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 21:01   #49

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
[i] with the possible exception of those that habitually kick our collective asses in the Americas Cup.

Sunspot Baby [/B]
What; the Swiss?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 06:32   #50

Found this interesting AD........I edited it down. I might actually order one. Seems they thought it through......

Our New Generation Two MOB Pole!
We believe that eSHIPSTORE's new Generation Two MOB Pole provides far greater likelihood of a successful rescue in man overboard (MOB) situations. It can save more lives! It is, in our estimation, the Ultimate Man Overboard Pole!
Our Generation Two MOB Pole offers the standard Red/Yellow "Overboard" flag at the top, for daylight visual sighting in normal weather conditions.
Then we begin to differ by using an anodized aluminum pole, which provides radar-reflectivity up to 1000 feet from any direction, depending on sea conditions. Should you lose sight of the pole, radar reflection can help find it again. It can also be a crucial tool for your boat and others in a night rescue effort. We cover the entire upper three feet of the pole with the most modern and efficient light-reflecting technology, Reflexite Microprisms. This provides a significant area of light-reflective surfaces from any angle of view, independent of flag angle and direction. At night, a flashlight or searchlight enables you to see the pole at far greater distances than the distance to see the flag alone. Saving the best for last, we put a strobe light at the top of the pole and designed it to automatically activate when the pole is thrown into the water! It's intense strobe light is visible for up to a mile or more and it operates for up to 8 hours continuously. Of course it's waterproof, and uses a single "AA" lithium battery, quickly and easily replacable. While many items on your boat are in some way related to safety, your MOB pole is a deadly serious item and deadly serious concern is needed in it's consideration for purchase. No other piece of equipment, nothing else, can substitute for the job that the MOB pole does, marking the overboard spot in a faceless sea.

Sorry Swagman - no black. In fact no colors on any web site other than orange or yellow. I guess if you are optically challenged, you will probably need to Paint The Pole, and I support you in that decision. Important reminder - check to make sure the rest of the crew has this same eye problem, in case you are the one to go over.

Time for me to take my tongue out of my cheek.

capt lar

Old 30-11-2005, 10:31   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
"No other piece of equipment, nothing else, can substitute for the job the MON pole does"

I am glad that has been written and for that matter, by someone else, so as I am not singled out as being an alarmist or something else. But I think it sums up the entire argument, and I apolagise to Alienzdive for this comment as I don't want to drag up old waters, but I think it sums up the argument right back to the orginal begining of this subject, waay back in another series of threads.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 13:27   #52

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
The only colours mentioned are red and yellow for the flag. No mention of the buoy's colour, nor mention of the pole's colour. Anodized aluminum (or aluminium) can be any colour and does anyone know the colour of "reflexite microprisms"? Still, it sounds like an excellent piece of kit and covers all of the recommendations I made in a previous post.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 13:57   #53

Sorry Lodesman - No Sale. This pole is yellow. Every pole I found was either Yellow or Orange. Float is Orange. Flag is standard issue Red / Yellow The optically challenged have been ignored by the marketplace. Must be a niche market.

capt. lar

Old 30-11-2005, 14:06   #54

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
I hunted down the website for eshipstore.com to look at this pole. Pretty neat! My question to them was whether or not it would fit into the storage tube in the transom of my ex-racer. I suggested they might publish detailed dimensions on their web site.
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 14:35   #55

I checked out the eshipstore website as well. The pole is dark red and the top half (the reflexite) is silvery-grey. It would contrast nicely with either dark or light backgrounds and contrasts with the blaze orange buoy - all characteristics I recommended in my original post. It lends credence to my argument that the issue should have focussed on the colour of the buoy rather than the colour of the pole. Note also the use of retro-reflective material and a strobe-light - sounds like deja-vu all over again.
As for the "marketplace" - you are referring to those paragons of virtue who would sell dark-coloured (but fashionable) life-vests - do you really want to align yourself with them?
Seriously though, this Gen Two MOB pole gets two thumbs up from me.
One other thing - can we call it flag "Oscar" - not to be a stickler, but it's so much simpler and less ambiguous than "standard red and yellow flag."

Kevin
Old 30-11-2005, 15:11   #56

We should and can refer to "Oscar". I was going to suggest you could also consider "Lima" for Lodesman with a snappy black and yellow check, but I held back.
I think I'm done.
Hard to be good.

capt. lar

Old 01-12-2005, 13:45   #57

Actually, the lodesman's flag is "Hotel". If you can't be good, be right.

Kevin
Old 15-01-2006, 15:33   #58
Kai Nui

Well, I decided to think outside the box. I purchased a gallon of the Vivid yellow bottom paint for my tri. (couldn't find day glo green) I also purchased some matching yellow topside paint for my nonskid areas. I will try it and see if I can stand it. My wife is excited about the idea of having some "color" on the boat.
Old 15-01-2006, 19:30   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
So next summer, if I come across a migrating Whale wearing sunglasses, I'll know where he has come from and what he has seen.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 19:33   #60
Kai Nui

Yea, the sunset in the east means I've already been there and left

Tags
mob