Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2022, 09:30   #31

Re: Why Lifelines on Sailboats?

I tell inexperienced crew the lifelines are there to catch you and are not railings and the stanchions are not handles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Lifelines aren't there to keep you aboard, jacklines do that.
Life lines are a visual reminder of where the deck ends, and a place to hang laundry[emoji39]
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 09:46   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Yes I’ve seen the chained gates on a much bigger Jeanneau yup I’m not aware it’s an option on these smaller models. $$$ it’s sure a lot easier to grab a rail than a wire. I got a rail bent and repaired by SeaRay in Indiana the entire bow rail was one piece and bent on a frame identical to every SeaRay built that Hull 3 models. None of the models offer solid rails between cockpit and bow. Just a hand rail with decent toe rail good wide walk around other boats lacked.
I’ve added a sail locker to next boats list but not rails. One of the appeals to the Jeanneau models is a healthy walk around.
I can see Explorer models of Amels and most of the metal hull boats seems the norm.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 09:50   #33

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Yes I’ve seen the chained gates on a much bigger Jeanneau yup I’m not aware it’s an option on these smaller models. $$$ it’s sure a lot easier to grab a rail than a wire. I got a rail bent and repaired by SeaRay in Indiana the entire bow rail was one piece and bent on a frame identical to every SeaRay built that Hull 3 models. None of the models offer solid rails between cockpit and bow. Just a hand rail with decent toe rail good wide walk around other boats lacked.
I’ve added a sail locker to next boats list but not rails. One of the appeals to the Jeanneau models is a healthy walk around.
I can see Explorer models of Amels and most of the metal hull boats seems the norm.

Chained or wire gates aren't necessarily common on a lot of boats with solid rails, but I can't say there's any good reason for that. On my boat with solid rails bow and stern but lifelines in between, the gates are all between braced stanchions (and 2 of the 3 are in the stern rail section) and are done as chains, rather than a solid piece of rail that flips out of the way. The solid gates are often done (for looks) on boats with a wood top rail. With metal rails, the builder just does whatever they think is easy.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 10:12   #34

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

My 2 cents. I have them on my boat and had the boat not come with them, I would have installed them.

If you opt for wire check your connections every time you board. Those little circular clips that hold the pin in to secure them fail routinely. I'd read an article, 1st hand account, of a guy who went over the side while showering. Nude, 5 miles from shore, coral reef, jungle. He and his buddies plotted where the boat most likely would have hit and went down later and found the boat and the culprit. After reading the article and saying, no way, I went out to look at mine. 3 out of 4 were ready to fail. I've seen this on many boats and it's the 1st thing I check when boarding during my walk around. Tubes will not fail.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 10:27   #35

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
My 2 cents. I have them on my boat and had the boat not come with them, I would have installed them.

If you opt for wire check your connections every time you board. Those little circular clips that hold the pin in to secure them fail routinely. I'd read an article, 1st hand account, of a guy who went over the side while showering. Nude, 5 miles from shore, coral reef, jungle. He and his buddies plotted where the boat most likely would have hit and went down later and found the boat and the culprit. After reading the article and saying, no way, I went out to look at mine. 3 out of 4 were ready to fail. I've seen this on many boats and it's the 1st thing I check when boarding during my walk around. Tubes will not fail.
Interesting. It was in my yacht survey to change the split rings to standard cotter pins for that reason. I did that for most and some I changed to the rings that look like a key ring instead of the standard split-ring that is much more likely to work itself off.
doctorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 10:38   #36

Boat: Custom Gartside 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
My bloody stanchions are 1" 1/16 for some reason and so no T fittings fit them so unfortunately that's not a option for me, else I would
..RIP..
Zaffadill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 10:58   #37

Boat: Summer Twins 25

This year I had a little mishap and missed my footing, As I skipped across the cabin roof.about the same height as the guide wire Foot went down about 2 feet then off the side and further scraping skin. I fell chest first into the plastic coated guide wires.
I was very glad they were there and just as happy that they cushioned my landing and I didn’t get hurt (much) or wet. Had it of been solid I would probably have been MOB.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 11:25   #38

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
>>>hole-saw-cut edged middle tubing pieces with +s.<<<

I'm using 26" stanchions and continuous top rail with Ts. Can you clarify the above quoted statement? Maybe it's too early in the morning, but I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks,

Bob
Sure. I mistyped. Stanchions are 30 inches, mounted in the standard stanchion base. Drilled and tapped, screw to secure (Loctite blue for security) with 1/4-20 machine screws. The rest of the tees and elbows and ends had the supplied pointed screws removed, and the tubing drilled out; SS rivets to secure. Should I ever have to remove, I'd drill out the rivet. I never did have to do that.

As to the hole saw bit, I had a V base jig to center the pipe/tubing. Drill-pressed a 1" hole at the place where the stanchion would come up through the + shaped Tee, and the 1" saw separated it into two pieces. That way the physical connection to the stanchion would be all around the stanchion, rather than a blunt-ended short-section middle rail. I did that for every location where the middle rail met a stanchion.

I'm annoyed to say that of all the 5000 or so pix I took of everything I have ever done to the boat, a server crash apparently ate those (everything to do with the fabrication of the railings) pix, or I'd be able to show you.

Was that sufficient for description?

Or were you asking a different question?
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 12:35   #39

Boat: Allmand 31'

Most lifelines gives a false sense of security. Solid rails at a proper height and with stanchions closer together are better.

I therefore replaced the lifelines with SS tubing. The stanchions on the outside railing should be closer together. I may at some stage add a few stanchions there for additional support.

One point that no one here has mentioned is to also have rails where the grab rails are located.

As a senior citizen I prefer walking upright on the deck, holding on to railings on both sides, rather than be crawling holding on to the teak grab rails.

I have therefore removed some of the teak grab rails on the coach roof and installed railings at a height that fit me for walking upright.

In my case it was worth it.

My grand-kids also like to hold on to the railings walking on deck and also to sit on the coach roof inside this railing with one foot on each side of the stanchions, resting their arms on the rail. Less danger of sliding down and possibly overboard.

A couple of other senior sailors in my Marina saw what I did and have done the same thing and they like it too.
For whatever it's worth.....
VIKINGBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 12:50   #40

Boat: Norseman 447

I recently replaced my top life line with SS tube also, having spent my working life at sea I prefer the sense of security they give and the solid rail to hold on to. Since I did mine two other boats in the marina have done it also.
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 12:52   #41

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Clothes pins wont fit 1 inch tubing.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 12:56   #42

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
Clothes pins wont fit 1 inch tubing.

Large binder clips work nicely for holding towels and such to tubing, however.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 12:59   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
I have replaced the top lifeline with SS tubing. Much more secure feeling when moving around the deck.
And that's all it is. A feeling. And it's just an illusion. You're no safer.. you just think you are. And thinking you're safe, can and does lead to poor decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Lifelines aren't there to keep you aboard, jacklines do that.
Life lines are a visual reminder of where the deck ends
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
As Noelex sez, a secure foothold is ALWAYS essential, as are devices to hold the other end of you securely in place and still aboard. Short tethers for me!

In itty-bitty boats such as the ones we sail, or at least the ones I sail, I CRAWL when I'm on deck! It's important to be able to reach a new hand hold before you let go of the one you already have a grip on. If you can do that, while crawling, lifelines become redundant.
Bingo! As those who choose to sail without so-called "lifelines" will tell you, it's the feeling of insecurity that keeps them safe. They don't "feel safe", they feel vulnerable, and that sensation of vulnerability is what encourages them to not take chances, to not make a single move without planning it first, to always use a harness and be clipped on with short tethers, and to always follow the rule "one hand for yourself, one hand for the ship."
Old 18-11-2022, 13:06   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
I was knocked (not tripped) overboard on a 36' sloop with wire lifelines while beating hard and decks awash. The wire flexed enough to cushion my fall and I was able to grab the stretched wire to pull myself back on board with help. My ribs hit first and I was slightly bruised but no real injury, so flex was a good thing. Had this been rigid tubing I probably would have broken a rib two and is the best reason I can think of for not doing tubing.
So why were you not clipped on, with a short enough tether to ensure you would never have hit the lifelines in the first place?

Maybe we need to coin another saying to go with those chris mac posted above..

"Lifelines are only there as a last defence against sloppy thinking."
Old 18-11-2022, 13:28   #45

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Same Rslivkin But 2 bow loops and running cable back to to solid rail with a gate in the transom. I’m familiar with the Catalina CC sweet boat. I had a neighbour with one for years. I love the back rails have cushions behind each helm buttoned on. I was going to put a cut foam noddle over the rail and the bride gave me dirty looks.
My old little donzi has an optional rail on the centre of the bow. You rap your knuckles slinging a fender line. Double dog dare to walk on the bow with the motor off. The trim tabs make great steps to get back on board. The grab rail are in the seats. I’ve no back seat in it yet. But it has a grab rail. To each boat their own. If you think you have the best hand rails then a Palmer shows up with fibre optic hand rail on top of a solid wall.
I want a sail locker if it comes with better rails bonus.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lifelines, sail, sailboat