Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 10:14   #121
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts ?

The estimated building cost for my boat (everything except labor) was $2500....in 1936. The boat took 5 years to build,launched 1972, when it was 25 years old it was surveyed at $30,000, I bought it at 35 years old for $17,400...including all the work I have put into it, upgrades, etc...final cost is still well under $http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3-9.html25,000, it is 40 years old now.
It is not hard to find a nice 30' fiberglass boat for $10-$15 (if you look around, you can either find the same boat for less or more boat for the same)....some people just can't afford to keep a boat anymore and are willing to just walkn away (almost)....friend of mine got a Morgan 41 for $4100...no issues

My point is you don't have to buy a new boat to get a nice boat and if you can not afford a new boat you can still have a nice boat. Sailnet.com has a thread "what is the age of your boat?" 4.19% are 1-5 years old 74.76% are in the 20s and 7.25% 30 or over
Old 14-02-2013, 14:19   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
The estimated building cost for my boat (everything except labor) was $2500....in 1936. The boat took 5 years to build,launched 1972, when it was 25 years old it was surveyed at $30,000, I bought it at 35 years old for $17,400...including all the work I have put into it, upgrades, etc...final cost is still well under $http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3-9.html25,000, it is 40 years old now.
It is not hard to find a nice 30' fiberglass boat for $10-$15 (if you look around, you can either find the same boat for less or more boat for the same)....some people just can't afford to keep a boat anymore and are willing to just walkn away (almost)....friend of mine got a Morgan 41 for $4100...no issues

My point is you don't have to buy a new boat to get a nice boat and if you can not afford a new boat you can still have a nice boat. Sailnet.com has a thread "what is the age of your boat?" 4.19% are 1-5 years old 74.76% are in the 20s and 7.25% 30 or over
I love the story about your boat, I am beginning to see that maybe yachts/boats are not as expensive as I first thought. A bit of knowledge and looking in the right places certainly helps coupled with a few wise words from people who have have been there and and got the T-shirt. I think my blinkers are opening wider the more I read and search. Thanks for taking the time to post
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 13:11   #123

Went to see the first sail boat that I was thinking that I might buy. My wife and I set off and traveled 150 miles in glorious sunshine thinking this could be it, our first boat :-). We saw all the pictures on a web site and it looked pretty good for the asking price. The anticipation was very exciting..

But it was not to be... sadly the boat although not bad on the outside it was disgusting on the inside. Roof lining was coming away from the windows and damp specks all over the place. GRP shell was peeling in the forward cabin.. Although she was out the water there was loads on the inside, I thought it was meant to be the other way around. There was so much moisture in the air it would be impossible for it not to have an effect on the electrical components.

Although I could still see a certain beauty in her it was sad to see the sorry state she was now in...

I was also informed she was going back into the water this April so I hope she doesn't sink.. I can't imagine anyone would buy her in her current condition but I'll wait and see if the current owners give her a face lift and clean her bogin toilet...

I think it would be better all round If the currents owners gave me there sick boat for free and I could spend the asking price on her refurbishment and bring her back to life...
(No I'm asking for a free Boat LOL)

Anyway it was a lot of money for a sad old lady....We still enjoyed our day..

The hunt goes on..
Old 25-02-2013, 13:27   #124
CLOD

Boat: none

just a couple of rules in boat hunting:

All boats look better in the ads than they really are!
Most good deals ..............aren't!
Old 25-02-2013, 14:19   #125

last post

should have read, "I'm NOT asking for a free boat"... :-)
Old 25-02-2013, 14:21   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
just a couple of rules in boat hunting:

All boats look better in the ads than they really are!
Most good deals ..............aren't!
Thanks Don, I'll keep that in mind... :-)