Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 16:04   #16

Re: where would you sail if you had a year to sail, no more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thackaringa View Post
It is good to dream. BUT. You haven't even been on a boat yet, you may get extremely sea sick and not like it. Learn to sail first get on a few boats and count your blessings. You are a long way from planning ocean crossings with your family. It is not like "Captain Ron" or in the movies. It can be cold, wet and at times terrifying. I have seen lots of people go sailing for one day and never come back to do it again. Also I have seen others that have been totally addicted for it will be one of the highlights of your life. If you and your family are one of the latter, then all you will then need is a lot of time and money with a sense of adventure and a dash of insanity. Good luck.
Actually, it is a lot like Capt. Ron at times! Nothing to left to do but laugh at your rediculous situation. And a good humour is definitely an asset. May as jump in with both feet, experience "the cold, wet and terrifying?" Ban the whole idea of fear from your boat and venaculer and things are unlikely to seem so scary you can consider the conditions 'terrifying'. Some people are seasick for a day or two. My experience is women suffer mal de mar more than men.

Just do it, but be well prepared before you cast off the lines!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:10   #17

Quote:
It is good to dream. BUT. You haven't even been on a boat yet, you may get extremely sea sick and not like it. Learn to sail first get on a few boats and count your blessings. You are a long way from planning ocean crossings with your family. It is not like "Captain Ron" or in the movies. It can be cold, wet and at times terrifying. I have seen lots of people go sailing for one day and never come back to do it again. Also I have seen others that have been totally addicted for it will be one of the highlights of your life. If you and your family are one of the latter, then all you will then need is a lot of time and money with a sense of adventure and a dash of insanity. Good luck.
thanks, and yes I know all this already. we have done some sailing (not as skippers) and are working our way into this. have a couple of small scale charters planned in the next few years. This is more for the "light at the end of the tunnel" or the "carrot on the end of the stick" information. Essentially I would love to do the SP, but unsure if 1 year June to August (14mths) would work, or if we should stick to carribean. Of course, it is possible this will never work out either, but at least we will know how to sail!
nbourbaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:13   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

My favorite sailing triangle would include the islands in the "triangle"; Hawaii - French Polynesia - Australia. Visit as many islands as you possibly can! I consider this triangle as the best in sailing waters in the world. Sail away!

Mauritz
Old 03-08-2013, 16:14   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Thackaringa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Actually, it is a lot like Capt. Ron at times! Nothing to left to do but laugh at your rediculous situation. And a good humour is definitely an asset. May as jump in with both feet, experience "the cold, wet and terrifying?" Ban the whole idea of fear from your boat and venaculer and things are unlikely to seem so scary you can consider the conditions 'terrifying'. Some people are seasick for a day or two. My experience is women suffer mal de mar more than men.

Just do it, but be well prepared before you cast off the lines!
I find that women mostly get sea sick because they are often delegated as spectators or gophers. if you give her something meaningful and entertaining to do, like steer the boat, and keep their mind occupied then sea sickness will not raise its ugly head.
Thackaringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:20   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Thackaringa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
thanks, and yes I know all this already. we have done some sailing (not as skippers) and are working our way into this. have a couple of small scale charters planned in the next few years. This is more for the "light at the end of the tunnel" or the "carrot on the end of the stick" information. Essentially I would love to do the SP, but unsure if 1 year June to August (14mths) would work, or if we should stick to carribean. Of course, it is possible this will never work out either, but at least we will know how to sail!
My advise would be the Carribean for a starter. At least you can shelter for the night and enjoy each and every day. Ocean crossing can be long and tedious and not a lot of fun for the first time out. Mind you I have never regretted it and the South Pacific is fantastic.
Thackaringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 18:52   #21

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Sailing with kids? The Caribbean. According to those who know more than me, lots more kid boats there than other places. If you make keeping the kids happy a priority, everyone will have a better time. Other kids to hang with=a happy crew.

If no kids, I'd want to do as much of the South Pacific as time and weather would allow. Friends who are there all complain about not having enough time!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 18:58   #22

Boat: Nonsuch 30

A lot depends on where you are starting from. The situation is quite different fot east coasters and west coasters. Not sure I understand the suggestion to go to Oz. So you get there in your year off - what do you with your boat. The used boat market is not as it was.
Old 03-08-2013, 19:01   #23

Boat: Tartan 40
I have known of families who cruise up the East Coast of USA to Maine and NS by summer, then down ICW to Bahamas/Caribbean for winter, equalling 1 year. You avoid hurricane season for the most part. Gives you a chance to do some light ocean passages to whet that desire, and a lot of day cruising with anchoring each night when desired. Given your skill levels, this may be the most challenging yet attainable for you. IMHO you should try crewing on a delivery or passage and see how you like the watch routine of a long passage. If you hate it, you may consider the above option as a challenging but relaxing cruise. Love it, and you may want to spend a sizeable part of your sabbatical on passage, like from Panama to South Pacific, etc
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 19:42   #24

thanks all for your replies so far!

My original thought was the carribean for the year, although I began to wonder if it was really diverse enough to merit the whole year. and there is something just so alluring about the south pacific (only ever been to hawaii) but was worried it would be too much to do in a year. maybe carribean first and if we get totally hooked we head out the canal for a way early retirement, lol
Old 03-08-2013, 20:47   #25

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

The Tropics in the south Pacific, Indian Ocean, In wet season should be avoided,

Be out by November, and stay out till the end of March. Its Cyclone season,

Its not when, Its where, they will happen,

I have seen 3 happening at the same time, here across the top of Australia,

One off Cairns, one in the Gulf near Darwin, and one bearing down on Broome,

C to B, is about 3000 miles, In a Dead straight line, Thru the middle of OZ,

on average, about 300 miles across, Travelling about 5 MPH to about 25 MPH, The Winds created can be anything,

Do not ever, get caught in one,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 21:09   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Sailing with kids? The Caribbean. According to those who know more than me, lots more kid boats there than other places. If you make keeping the kids happy a priority, everyone will have a better time. Other kids to hang with=a happy crew.

If no kids, I'd want to do as much of the South Pacific as time and weather would allow. Friends who are there all complain about not having enough time!
I sailed in the carribean , very few kids on boats. In the med its a bit better especially with the longer adult and school holidays.

Dave
Old 03-08-2013, 21:11   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

I find that women mostly get sea sick because they are often delegated as spectators or gophers. if you give her something meaningful and entertaining to do, like steer the boat, and keep their mind occupied then sea sickness will not raise its ugly head.
You cant keep people that suffer seasickness on the helm , that's a coastal short journey ( hours) trick , they get tired

Get then below and sleeping, and hydrated . Many women cope, the ones that get it bad , and in general a lot of women do, there no fix.

Dave
Old 03-08-2013, 22:15   #28

Many have mentioned seasickness esp among the fairer sex

I was also considering a catamaran both for space and stability. Would that mostly alleviate issue? Obv more expensive but that can be worked around.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2013, 22:32   #29

Boat: Pearson 281

Patagonia
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 23:36   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Your first major problem is going to be that almost every cruising yacht needs major preparation before extended cruising. Even a boat in top condition could need months of work.

The second major problem is that almost without exception the maximum length of the sailing season is 6 months.

One year may not be enough time to make an extended voyage without encountering some serious weather.

It would probably be possible to buy a boat in one of the major sailing areas and use it for 6 months but either winter or summer typhoons limit anything longer.

Spreading the plan over 18 months with a return to work for 6 months in the middle would give greater flexibility or just plan for 6 months.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail