Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2016, 09:45   #76

Re: What got you into sailing

I did not come from a happy circumstance and when I was eight, a random family with kids saw me by the lake and offered a spot on their little rigid dinghy to fish with them. It showed me what family was like and also that there's a way to see the world and change our circumstance. My only regret is never being able to find out who they were to thank them.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:18   #77

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

About 45 years ago, there was this really hot girl, and her family had an Albacore on the Chesapeake.
Old 22-07-2016, 13:49   #78

I have really enjoyed reading peoples stories on why and how they started. Here is mine.

I guess I would be considered a young pup here, I just turned 37 and got married a few months ago.

When I was about 6 or 7 my mom took my twin brother and myself to the local lake (Pinecrest in California) and rented a sunfish and we took turns going on the lake and sailing with here. After a few years we started taking summer sailing lessons at Dana Point. Did that for about 10 years. I sailed everything there from 8ft bath tub boats, to capri 14's, j/22's, etc.

The first boat I ever bought myself was a old hobbie 16, I used that for years. then moved up to jet skis and power boats.

During the years that followed I also ended up crewing a 60ft cat and a islander 38. I have always loved being on the water. So a few years I took my now wife on a sailing cruise on the sound by seattle, she was hooked, she has loved being on the water as well and as a wedding present she told me that we can buy a sailboat of my choice. We are getting to go to the local sailing club, and get involved and join there as well. Our long term goal is to sail the deep blue with our kids and expose them to the wonders of the sea.

I look forward to following our dreams. Our two favorite sayings are "How adventurous do you feel" and "Not all who wonder is lost"
MikeCim209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 15:12   #79

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Went sailing with a friend of my father in the Chessie back in 1965 and 1966. Bit by the bug then, but could never get a boat until 2012. Discovered that sailing in the Chesapeake in the summer was way different than sailing in DownEast Maine in the summer. Working at dealing with the differences now.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 07:40   #80

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
What got you into sailing

Went back to do my own hig school reunion and a friend took me for a night sail on Lake Erie. Sailed out of a marina that my father used when I was eight. That sail experience stuck with me for years until I bought a beat up rental hobie cat on Ft Lauderdale beach. I taught myself how to rig it in my driveway. The first time I sailed it off the beach in fifteen knots of wind and five foot seas I was hooked.

Years later I took basic ASA sail training with my wife and then built my skills by sailing a Hunter 216 for twelve years, chartering bigger boats occasionally. At Annapolis last fall I pulled the trigger on a Jeanneau 349 and am now packing up my corporate lifestyle to pursue minimalist values and a greater peace of mind on a Florida coast.

Cannot imagine how my life would be without sailing.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 13:02   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I posted the personal history of my introduction to sailing earlier in this thread, but after reading some of these recent responses, I realize there is another side to the answers for this question.

Like some others I'm struck by the rhythm and music that comes with gliding on an interface. Skiing, skating, dancing, sailing all have this musical signature by step, edge, billow and schushing. Sailing reminds me of the lyrics to George Gershwin's "Fascinating rhythm".

I rarely play any music while I'm sailing, but I'm in it for the music!
Old 31-07-2016, 07:11   #82

"...struck by the rhythm and music that comes with gliding on an interface."

What a great turn of phrase that more fully articulates the personal experience than just about any other written expression that comes to mind. I'll be thinking of that today as I sail, and tomorrow as I bike commute to work.
Old 31-07-2016, 09:19   #83

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I nominate Hudson Force as the Poet Laureate of CF. Do I hear a second?

Beautifully said, something I have always felt but until I read your posts didn't realize there were word for it. Thank you.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 20:09   #84

I second that.

It's important to know the power of literature which may communicate novel ideas to those of us with the interest to explore that which is not familiar.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:42   #85

Boat: Hunter 27

While I was in my mother's womb, my mother and father built a sailboat. When I was six weeks old, I went on my first cruise in Georgian Bay, overnighting at Regatta Bay at the head of Franklin Island. I solo sailed at 8 in a single-sail and have been doing that ever since. Just recently realized I'm old enough (47) to move up to a big boat. Bought my first last week. Great question. I love these stories!
HUNTER27Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:26   #86

Boat: 1985 S2 9.2C
Re: Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
You met 5 women in 7 months, all interested in sailing? That sounds like a marketable skill or location to me.
Amazing huh? All of them live in the Memphis, TN area. Here's the rundown on the 5:
  1. One is vacationing in Cape Code, MA looking for someone to take her sailing. If you are a member of SSSSM group, you can find her.
  2. The tall math school teacher's Mom and step Dad bought a boat in San Diego, CA and spent 10 years sailing west to the Outer Banks, NC. She is planning on retiring in 2 years and sail the Med
  3. The artist's parents owned a sailboat for years in the Caribbean; her family would sail 3-5 times a year for several weeks.
  4. The licensed nurse practitioner gave me a sailboat model for Christmas. She hopes to sail someday, but hasn't expressed an interest in living aboard.
  5. I gave the Xray technician a "Sail Naked" shirt from the BVI when I returned. She use to live in Brazil with an ocean view. She could be live aboard material.

daw_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:10   #87

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
I second that.

It's important to know the power of literature which may communicate novel ideas to those of us with the interest to explore that which is not familiar.
absolutely 100% true 4 me:
at 19 (in 74) I read a book by an austrian singlehanding circumnavigator & oceanwanderer, got inspired, built my own 34' cat here in austria from 77 to 81 when we left (had gotten together with my lady 1 year into the building).
circumnavigated on the "coconut-milkrun" until 88, sold her, bought a secondhand monohull in 89, second circumnavigation until 93 (since 90 with our lad who was born in french polynesia), third rtw from 96 to 99, again through both canals (panama & suez of course)
"back" in austria since 99 for schooling & studies of the offspring (completion imminent) & are now increasingly restlessly looking around the secondhand market as the lady of my heart (& all those adventures) is going to retire 6/18...
so the power of books to inspire...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:13   #88

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Must be location. Summer of '86 was a crazy time in Vancouver. Newly single,free as a bee. Expo was on. So many free sprits . Many 2 and 3 a day. Got to be a game .Goal was 3 a day two days running Close but no cigar so summer was a bust.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 19:07   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
Must be location. Summer of '86 was a crazy time in Vancouver. Newly single,free as a bee. Expo was on. So many free sprits . Many 2 and 3 a day. Got to be a game .Goal was 3 a day two days running Close but no cigar so summer was a bust.

Reference frequency, are we talking about sailing, or something else? Big grin
Old 01-08-2016, 19:08   #90

Doubleu, as some one said, I love these stories!

They stimulate me in a Bernard Motissier way.

Tags
sail, sailing