Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 16:30   #1

Boat: EDELCAT33
What cordless Vac to use aboard

As much as we try to be careful, I am on guard against sand particles in the sailboat. We do row to shore a lot and we even if we dip 1/8 of the shoe bottom into the water to get rid of the sand, we’ll there is some that gets into different part of the boat.

I am thinking of getting one of those portable car vacuums or cordless that are advertised in Amazon from $30 to $55.

Anybody willing to comment of what type you have for your boat? I don’t have a pet so no hair other than human, mainly sand.

Thanks
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:17   #2

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: What cordless Vac to use aboard

Makita cordless if you already have the batteries, they work great
coriobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 22:15   #3

We have Ryobi 18v lithium battery powered power tools (drill, grinder, jig saw, Sander, demolition saw) as well as their fan and handvac. The handvac also comes with an extension and nozzle for doing the floor. Works okay for basic light dirt, dust bunnies etc. The same batteries power all items. We have a small wet/dry AC shopvac for anything more serious. Lithium batteries charge fast and maintain almost constant power until they are empty and the device just stops.
SV Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 23:19   #4

Try before you buy (I didn't!); many are just about useless.
I bought a good brand name 14v Li cordless recently; wouldn't suck a fly off the wall. Took it back to Bunnings (big Aussie hardware chain) and they gave my money back without even looking in the box.

Rgds
Draughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've got a bunch of Milwaukee battery powered tools, both 12v and 18v, so went with their vacuums. The hand held 12v is great for daily general cleaning up on the boat but definitely not heavy duty or construction clean up. Not very good at getting into nooks and crannies without an extension hose which makes using it a two handed operation for some jobs. Really handy and easy to use and the go to vacuum for daily use.

Also have their 18v Box wet and dry vacuum. A real powerhouse for heavy duty cleaning. It's more or less a stationary unit with a hose attachment. Really handy for soaking up a gallon or so liquid spill or bilge water. Use it to suck up the last bit of water that the bilge pump leaves for a dry bilge. Lots of suction and capacity for more serious clean up. Negative is that only comes with a hose and crevice tool. Need to buy 2' tube extensions and brush attachment to make it really useful.
Also have h
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:33   #6

Boat: Currently boatless

Agree on the Milwaukee; even the M-12 sucks well.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:38   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I've got Ryobi cordless drill, saw, etc and I like their dustbuster style vac that is compact and uses the same batteries.

A bonus is that I can use it as my battery charger. If I use my drill I can swap out the vac battery and it will charge on the vac holder. More convenient than using the stand alone battery charger and cheaper, as my charger needs replacement.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:42   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Ditto SV Tru...........I have a Ryobi 18v lithium battery powered hand held vacuum. I keep on at home, trailer and sailboat. Battery is compatible with all my other portable Ryobi tools and share a common charger.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:43   #9

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

We gave up on the cordless vac after trying several. If you have a way to charge the batteries you have a way to power a corded unit. They are much cheaper, more powerful, and longer lasting.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:50   #10

Boat: Catana 471

Have the Milwaukee 18v wet/dry vac. Works great, and the vac itself is reasonably priced, but of course batteries are stupid expensive if you're not already invested in the Milwaukee tool ecosystem.

If you already have another brand cordless tools - Ryobi, Dewalt, Rigid - just go with their vac so you can use the batteries you already have. Regardless of brand, the vacuum will deplete batteries pretty quickly. We get about 20 mins runtime out of a 9ah battery.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:51   #11

They end up useless. The batteries tend to fail rather quickly to the point where they wont charge. They lack suction except the day they are new. Just buy a one gallon mini shop vac. Unless you dont have an invertor or are trying to vacuum at anchor.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:00   #12

Boat: Nonsuch 354

I bought the smallest shop vac. It's 1 gal, has plenty of suction and doesn't take up much space. You may need to get some additional attachments like a couple of wands so you can vacuum the floor. It is also good to clean the strainers on the deck drains which clog easily during bird season. The cons are that it is loud and the cord is too short and too stiff. It is AC but if you have an inverter you will be okay. I think I paid about $35 for it.

Last weekend I made some drain extensions out of PVC pipe. They extend about 4 inches above the flush drain fitting. The idea is that even if debris collects around the fitting, the extensions will allow the water to flow over the debris and into the drain anyway. I will take pics when I go to the boat next.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:00   #13

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I bought a Dyson for my boat. It is simply the best in this class. In the full stick form it's like a regular vacuum, remove the stick portion and it's a fantastic handheld.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:06   #14

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I have a Shark 15.6 V hand held, and it is GARBAGE.
Works great for around 90 seconds if freshly charged, overnight.
It's not even heavy enough to use as a boat anchor.
Don't waste your dough on the Shark.

taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:15   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a Milwaukee 28V wet vac that is very powerful, but shrieks so loud it hurts your ears.
I finally figured out there is no advantage to cordless or DC appliances, as you have to have AC power to charge the batteries, so may as well run them off the inverter.
The Milwaukee is good, except it doesn’t hold much liquid at all and is EXPENSIVE. It’s going into storage, we use a inexpensive Bissel to vacuum the boat and I bought a $25 vet vac from Home Depot that uses Home Depot buckets for the container, who doesn’t have those on board anyway?
But mixers, blenders, toasters etc are much better and way more available and much, much cheaper to just buy the AC version and use the Inverter.

Home Depot calls it the “Bucket Head” as of course it goes on top of their buckets, cheap and works well and is easy to store, you need a bucket on board anyway.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-H...vacuum%7D%3Aqu
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote