Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2023, 00:41   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Weird smell…

I have been looking for the source of a weird smell that is most pungent when entering into the boat. Hard to put my hand on it but to me, sort of smells like Raid but my wife thinks something else. I noticed it after we got an engine service so I am thinking it is something from there but everything looks very clean. Any thoughts on where to check out?
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 00:48   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Weird smell…

Possibly Inox, WD40, CRC, RP7, any other variously scented de-watering fluids they may have wiped the engine down with, some may have got on the exhaust when they test ran it, or maybe coolant, or gear oil and there is some in the bilge.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 01:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Possibly Inox, WD40, CRC, RP7, any other variously scented de-watering fluids they may have wiped the engine down with, some may have got on the exhaust when they test ran it, or maybe coolant, or gear oil and there is some in the bilge.
Bilge is completely dry so nothing ran down there. Could be one of these items which I guess is just airing out would be the only cure if there isn’t a spill somewhere.
Old 30-10-2023, 02:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I have been looking for the source of a weird smell that is most pungent when entering into the boat. Hard to put my hand on it but to me, sort of smells like Raid but my wife thinks something else. I noticed it after we got an engine service so I am thinking it is something from there but everything looks very clean. Any thoughts on where to check out?
'Raid' uses ingredients like pyrethroids, cypermethrin, imiprothrin, and pyrethrin. The combination of all of them can very much be toxic. Essentially, what makes them so deadly to bugs, can also make them poisonous to pets and people, especially babies. The two specific ingredients that are not safe are cypermethrin and imiprothrin.

Evidently, ‘Unscented Raid’ smells like a kerosene spill, in a nerve gas factory. ‘Lemon Scent Raid’ smells like a kerosene spill ,in a nerve gas factory, with a hint of lemon.
https://www.wired.com/2008/12/st-whatsinside-8/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 23:36   #5

So the wife thinks it’s coming from the leads into the holding tank. Again, it doesn’t smell like traditional boat head smell. It’s only been fresh water flushed and hard to describe. The hoses are only two years old but I can replace these if needed but it just doesn’t seem that’s where the smell is coming from. More so maybe the hose fitting for the hose going to the vent.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:14   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

You are probably too close to the problem and nose blind by now. Ask a couple of neighbours to come by and let them enter for the first time after the boat has been shut up for a bit. Don't ask them to identify the smell just where it is coming from.

If you know your boat your brain will eliminate the obvious as not being possible but a newbie will not have any preconceptions.

We couldn't trace a what turned out to be a blocked holding tank vent because we written it off because of it's impossible location. A friend went directly to it behind the holding tank.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:18   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Also be on the lookout for any spray cans that may have been discharged. I ran into that problem recently.

I had some brake cleaner from I don’t know what. I had to clean something engine related. It was in my box of engine parts and items. Somewhere along the way something shifted and pressed down and discharge like half the can. What a mess to clean up. Had to throw the box away and scrub everything in it with soap and water to get the smell out
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 20:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
You are probably too close to the problem and nose blind by now. Ask a couple of neighbours to come by and let them enter for the first time after the boat has been shut up for a bit. Don't ask them to identify the smell just where it is coming from.

If you know your boat your brain will eliminate the obvious as not being possible but a newbie will not have any preconceptions.

We couldn't trace a what turned out to be a blocked holding tank vent because we written it off because of it's impossible location. A friend went directly to it behind the holding tank.
Well asked my neighbor to find the smell. He’s a captain and didn’t have a clue where it’s coming from. He said it was pretty even throughout and smelled like new boat offgassing which is odd as the e boat is 2 years old and now just having this smell. Still very confused where it’s coming from or how to get rid of it.