Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 14:30   #1

Boat: 28ft Newport...Trouble Maker
Want to start a Web page....?!

I'm wanting to start a web site about our boat.

Where do I find a good free site that I can trust! Oh, and that is pretty easy to use...but still doesn't look cheap...
Lesmusic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 15:08   #2

Angelfire.com has a free web service, but it's not that great. Most free services will plaster advertisements all over every page, which is not very attractive.

When I had a website I used Web Hosting by PowWeb - One Plan, One Price hosting. It's not free, but it's very affordable (6 bucks a month), extremely reliable, simple to use, and more than enough space and band width for just about anyone. Best of luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 15:48   #3

Or you can do a blog at blogspot.com I like the way you can add to it in date order.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 15:58   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
My thoughts are don't get a free website. Pay for it and you will have something that is very inexpensive but good!
Have you ever asked for your car to be repaired for free? Then why ask for a free website?

Think of it, you cruise round the world putting your most valuable thoughts onto this website including photos of friends etc. And then one day it just disappears along with all your work.

What a waste!

You can buy a .com domain name very cheaply and get some good but cheap hosting, be careful with Go dady ect,. they maybe too cheap, buy a real one, perhaps locally based to you.

I have a few websites and they are all easy to set up and maintain and I know they will continute to be there, professionally available etc, as long as I pay my $100 per year. And its cheaper for you in the USA!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 16:20   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The other thing about free websites is that they all have ads on them. And some ads are not what you want your family and friends back home subjected to! You have no say in the matter, if the host wants those dating agency ads, or worse, splattered on your site theres nothing you can do about it.

*Edit* I just found a membersit on Angelfire where a kid has a fan site for Serena Williams. Do you know what the banner ad at the top of the page is?? Serena Willams Nude.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 16:22   #6

I want to have a web site my Grandchildren, etc can check out after we are gone, so a good web site that won't disappear would be the best...Thank You
Old 09-12-2007, 16:40   #7

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Janny is right on.

Blogspot.com (blogger.com) is owned by Google and has no ads, unless you want to put your own ads on and get the revenue.

It's easy to use and you don't have to be a computer wizard to make it look good.

You can check ours if you like at Blog of the Sailing Vessel Raptor Dance

You will see ads on ours as we do subscribe to Google Ad Sense and we get the revenue.

We also have a website at SV Raptor Dance - Mary Mack & Bill Finkelstein's Valiant 50 We also have the Google Ads on that too. Note though that I pay for that web hosting with 1and1 Internet. Great service and a low price. See the "recommendations" link on our website if you want more info.

I'm a computer geek so I hand edit most of the web pages on our site, you don't have to go that far if you want to use a standard tool.

By the way there are LOTs of free worthwhile high quality stuff on the web, from complete operating systems (Linux) to Office Software suites (Open Office). So just because it's free, doesn't mean that it's not worthwhile.

Regards,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 16:53   #8

GoDaddy is fine

I've used GoDaddy for domain registrations and web hosting for 3 years, their service is fine, inexpensive and very reliable. However, it's mostly aimed at commercial operations and resellers and it is probably not what you need. You could fund your website by reselling hosting to others, in which case you can get free hosting for your site and maybe even make a bit of money. 'Bit of money' being the operative phrase though.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 20:34   #9

Thanks Bill.

I just got this new Satellite Toshiba laptop and trying to set us all up. I want to get Wireless Internet everywhere. I think they call it Satellite.

I'm trying to teach myself. I know how important my computer will be...my connection to family, help, etc...I want to get GPS on my computer too.

So much to do..

By the way, I love making up recipes too.