Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 20:16   #121

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Vloggers hit an uncharted rock/reef in the Kimberleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post

And I'm not aware how you could pump out a boat using a video camera battery.

Neither am I, you need a bilgepump or at least a bucket

Did you think that perhaps re charging multiple devices could lead to batteries running down leading to alarms triggering when said installed bilge pump or radio is being used?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 22:00   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Did you think that perhaps re charging multiple devices could lead to batteries running down leading to alarms triggering when said installed bilge pump or radio is being used?
Not in any significant way, no.

But let's back that up with a quick number crunch. I don't know what batteries or exact cameras he has, so I have based this off my own camera and batteries.

My GoPro has a 3.7v, 1050 mAh battery, or 8.885 Wh.

My 12v, 110Ah batteries can provide somewhere around 1480 Wh at a 20 hr rate. For charging a camera it would actually be better, as we are talking more like a 100 hr rate, but I don't have data on that so we will just use the 20 hr rate.

Let's presume he has only the one boat battery, and his camera is dead flat. Charging round trip efficiency works out around 75% depending on the exact setup, so each charge needs more like 12 Wh. However Li-Ion used in consumer electronics are not discharged below 20% before cut-off, as it adversely effects longevity. So we are back to around 9 Wh for a full charge.

So a full charge of the camera would take about 0.6% of a single 110 Ah boat battery, and it could be charged over 150 times from a fully charged battery.

If he has a 200w solar panel, then it's under 3 minutes of output to charge the camera battery.

So in other words, it's negligible But more importantly, there is no reason to assume that he needed to charge the cameras, or any other tech, in the first place.

I suspect the battery was mostly discharged by being underwater, and connected to an electrical system that was also underwater and no doubt running things like bilge pumps.
handmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:46   #123

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
You only get paid on views that meet YT’s mysterious criteria for counting. Likes and subscribes mean nothing.
Can you substantiate that claim?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:18   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by handmer View Post
Not in any significant way, no.

So in other words, it's negligible But more importantly, there is no reason to assume that he needed to charge the cameras, or any other tech, in the first place.
Well put handmer. I guess we all know he's on his back foot so let's move on...

Old 03-12-2017, 08:00   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Can you substantiate that claim?

Yes. I have a channel. If you have product placements or side deals with marketing companies, the subscriber count and like count may be useful to you. But the question was of money from YouTube. They only pay on video view count - there are a bunch of requirements for the view to count and how much it pays. Generally they are good at whittling it down, and pay varies. $6-$8 per 1000 views that count is typical.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:27   #126

Quote:

I suspect the battery was mostly discharged by being underwater, and connected to an electrical system that was also underwater and no doubt running things like bilge pumps.
For sure, and that being the case the last thing I would be charging up are toys no matter how small the drain.
I would be saving all available power for important stuff, but others obviously think differently.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28   #127

Quote:
I would be saving all available power for important stuff
I may have missed something - how do we know Plukky didn't?
Old 03-12-2017, 13:02   #128

Quote:
N

My GoPro has a 3.7v, 1050 mAh battery, or 8.885 Wh.

Likely it uses less of battery to charge as I think you mis-typed. 3.885 wh instead of 8.885 wh
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 13:15   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard1 View Post
Likely it uses less of battery to charge as I think you mis-typed. 3.885 wh instead of 8.885 wh
Yikes! You are right - not sure how I managed that!

So less than 0.3% of one boat battery to charge the camera, and able to be charged around 370 times. And about 1 minute, 12 seconds of solar output.
Old 03-12-2017, 13:45   #130

Interesting perspective on “ important things “ , probably the most important thing in getting him afloat again on another boat is his video camera not “ wasting “ 2 seconds worth of bulge pump on a lost cause .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 14:08   #131

Who cares about bilge pump.
I was more thinking radio for rescue communication.
I know if I was there making a call with battery alarm blaring I'd be thinking, "gee, if only I hadn't have charged up that camera/tablet/phone etc this morning"
But that's just me. I'm probably overcautious.
Its worked well for me these past 40 years on the water.
Old 03-12-2017, 14:17   #132

Quote:
"gee, if only I hadn't have charged up that camera/tablet/phone etc this morning"
I may have missed something - how do we know Plukky charged his camera/tablet/phone after the accident?
Old 03-12-2017, 14:27   #133

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Yes. I have a channel. If you have product placements or side deals with marketing companies, the subscriber count and like count may be useful to you. But the question was of money from YouTube. They only pay on video view count - there are a bunch of requirements for the view to count and how much it pays. Generally they are good at whittling it down, and pay varies. $6-$8 per 1000 views that count is typical.
Yes, I've heard the same thing from friends that have channels. Likes and subscribes help promote the channel to show up on peoples feeds, both yours and others, so hopefully that translates in to more views but don't mean anything as far as YT $$.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 14:43   #134

[/QUOTE]"gee, if only I hadn't have charged up that camera/tablet/phone etc this morning".[/QUOTE]

I think you are making some insane assumptions.

I take a go pro sailing and shoot video / pics and a battery will last a week (give or take depending on how much I shoot). Plus you’re assuming a blogger has an empty battery (only 1 battery at that) and only one camera.

Give Plucky some credit. He captured SMALL pieces of his situation (it’s not like he videoed a week straight). I’m sure he had a fully charged camera battery (at least one if not more) and possibly multiple cameras, most bloggers do.

Stop trying to armchair quarterback the guy. He remained calm and collected (better than most people in his situation).

Whether you agree with his actions or not is mute at this point.

I personally think it was worthwhile to see the incident (good or bad) unfold so others can gain some perspective and understand that there are ways to try to rectify a situation versus just crying for help.
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 18:07   #135

Quote:
I agree, they don't pay for likes and subscribes but if someone subscribed it's more likely he or she watches other videos from the same vlogger. And I can only surmise that videos that get a lot of "likes" are being returned before others on a given search.