Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 23-01-2006, 12:50   #256

Yeah.

Let the past be the past.

I'm all down about talking about boats. Not slandering people on the web.

And I'm sorry for the slandering teamivey. Really?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 23-01-2006, 12:51   #257

Oh oh. How long has it been sparking?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 23-01-2006, 12:58   #258

Boat: 1972 37' irwin center cockpit
??

Nothing sparking. To cold to waterski. Thats just more of my stupid sense of humor that runs me aground all the time? Besides I'd be one hell of a skier if I could get up behind this sailboat here.
Old 23-01-2006, 13:18   #259
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Braid

And I thought braid should be heat sealed, stiched then served.
Old 23-01-2006, 21:09   #260
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Kiss and make up now........?
Old 24-01-2006, 01:44   #261

Boat: not yet
bumfuzzle

Very intersting thread!
Frankly I think that two things must be discussed - a) the attitude towards P&A as persons , and I dont comment on that, finally if a quest is a quest for pizzas it remains a quest, so be it; and the comments about the choice and their relationship with both the builder of their ship and with the sailing world, on wich ill add my 2 euro cents.
Frankly they are (or where) the victim of what we can call the "push a button" sailing - sailing relying on technology rather than skill (the nice little pic of the boat in the wind). They bought the wrong boat IMHO - a cat that is meant to be used in charter - coastal cruising, probably around 100 miles per week or so, lots of room, but very high windage, either undercanvassed or over canvassed, etc., and they put that boat on a stress that was not intended both by the architect or the builder - sailing in one day what it was ment to sail in one week. It is like thinking that a BMW X series is really a proper all terrain vehicle, and go over sahara in that, because its good looking and it has a nice interior, and the aircon is good... Ok, the builder could not recognize that, and they have a very bad client service (at least from the messages posted by P&A).
If you go on the catamaran path (and I am a cat afficionado, for various motives) your research must be very thorough, and IMHO you must speak with a naval architect about your plans, to see if the boat fits them. Personally, with the money they spent, I would had built (not by me, but by professionals) either a Wharram or a Woods, or even a Nigel Irens (see his Rustic Schooner) design with long range cruising in mind - low windage, user friendly rigg, the compromise between living space and seaworthiness. When I say build professionally, I mean under survey like Lloyds or European RCD survey, which can be done in SE Asia at a good price. Frankly they sorted out very well till now, they acquired some miles in sailing, so dont really rant them....
Old 24-01-2006, 09:02   #262
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Wheels

It's a deal, your braid or mine?
Old 24-01-2006, 09:56   #263

push button sailing

I agree with the assesment koolhistorian made of Pat and Alis choice of boat. Just remember to take into account that they are doing this circumnavigation and then they are done. While I don't believe that money is no object to them, I don't believe it is their primary concern. So getting the boat that they will be most comfortable in for them doesnt seem such a bad way to go. Worry about resale/resail later.

I just received an email from them today that let me know that they just got through with ten days of great sailing weather, and will be arriving in sri lanka today. I'm betting they pull through this fine regardless of the naysayers.

Sean
Old 24-01-2006, 10:31   #264

Almost 3/4 Completed Circumnavigation

Hey teamivey,

Just think. They almost completed 3/4's of their journey. At least, they are alive, and still willing to carry onward.

Hey. Did they say they'll travel through the Suez Canel. Or sail around Cape of Good Hope (South Africa)?

From those points, they can sail right back to the U.S.of A. !!

Old 24-01-2006, 10:56   #265

course

Actually they have a link that shows their course up till now, and their intended course, which is through the Suez. You ought to check it out their is a link to download google earth which is neat software.
Old 24-01-2006, 19:31   #266

I see they are taking the Suez Canel.

I crossed the ditch, (Suez Canel). During the first Gulf War. 1990-1991. Twice !!

The Red Sea is one hellva muggy place to be. You could be in the shade talking to your buddies. And sweat up a storm. Our officers above us urged us to make sure that we had plenty of water. To stay hydrated.

During Desert Storm/Desert Shield. Some people did dehydrate. And got heat stroke, and heat stress. That can put you down, in a hurtful sort of way.

I'm sure P&A will have plenty of fluids, to keep themselves hydrated?

Old 29-01-2006, 14:54   #267

Hey everybody!
Okay I am not being a troll (isn't that what it has been called?) I am not even addressing anything that has been said about pat & Ali or there habits, sailing Skills, any of that!
I just wanted to let you all know they will be on T.V. tonight hate'm or love em it just might be fun to check out there acting skills lol :O) THis is the post they put on there website concerning their tv debut

Ali and Pat on T.V.!

We just got the date for our National Geographic debut. The first airing is on January 29th at 8P EST. Here is what the National Geographic website has to say.

Hunter and Hunted
Vanished [TV-PG]
An enormous saltwater crocodile attacks a group of tourists swimming in the Australian outback. One of them, a 23 year old German woman, disappears below the surface of the water, never to return alive. Why were these people swimming with crocodiles? Who took them there? And who will find the killer? Hunter and Hunted returns to the remote scene of the attack, interviews eye witnesses and examines forensic evidence to discover some surprising and disturbing answers.

Also airs: January 29 @ 11P EST

And hey, if anybody can record that for us on DVD we'd appreciate it, since it seems pretty unlikely that we're going to find a television with the National Geographic channel on it here.

anyway just thought some of you might want to watch it!

Rhonda
Old 29-01-2006, 18:51   #268
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hi Rhonda, you know you should participate here more often.
Sounds interesting about the TV doco. But just what do Pat and Ali have to do with this Crocodile thing? Were they witnesses or something?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 29-01-2006, 19:44   #269

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Great debate

I just read most of the pages dating back. I am curious about several things which have been said... So sorry to drag this again, but. Have P and A been heard from on this website? Maybe someone should tell them there are hundreds of people disecting their every decision. Might be fun. We could also do a cut and paste of all entries and e-mail it to them (this whole thread-- wouldn't it be fun?)

I do envy the Bumfuzzle people. However some comments have left me thinking. While I do not like Pizza Hut... I can see why it would be sometimes a needed familiar taste, after weeks at sea. Maybe they will learn to experience local food more fully, but speaking as a Pizza addict, AND as a Kiwi, I can tell you I was in NZ for 1 month in September, and the thing I truly missed, was a good NY style pizza. Over here in the States, the thing I miss the most is a good fish in chips, which I only can get in New Zealand (I have had it in South Africa, England, Australia, Canada and the US, and NOTHING, NOTHING compares).

And Allan, I don't know if ayone answered your query about beer, IMHO US Beer is pure pswater. I can't stand any, although there are some actual micro brewries which are excellent, and I mean actual restaurants with the brewry attached to the restaurant. Not the Oktoberfest brands, which do not touch me.

I was thinking maybe someone here should make a list of excellent eats in the different countries or regions. Perhaps people could get interested in the flavours of the areas they are cruising, if their budget permits to eat out. I am also thinking beers which are regional (Speights), eating trends (Best fish and chips I had was in Ohiwa) Best crab cakes on the Chesapeake, preferably under $20!! best NY style pizza, best Chicago stuffed pizza, things like that. Any interest?

Eugene
Old 30-01-2006, 10:41   #270

Hey!
They did not witness it, I think they just met the camera crew in a bar & they asked Pat & Allie to be part of the show. I don't know the whole story but i think that sums it up.
Apparently Allie looked like the girl who dissapeared (eaten by a croc) and Pat kind of favored one of the guys who was there when it happend.

I found it rather interesting. I actually like this series that comes on It's all true stories and forensic people explain why these animals have killed us humans :O)

Anyway, Ali & Pat did a good job on there acting debut.. I think they showed more of Pat than Allie she was killed in the first 15 minutes of the show ~ although through out the show they would replay the scene where she is pulled under by a hugh Croc!!

If anyone missed it I am sure it will air again, they usually do a rerun of old shows before they air the newest ones.

rhonda
Closed Thread