Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2020, 05:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 512 51 feet 6inches
Treasure Cay. Boat adrift.

I am in Treasure Cay now. Last night, (19th July) a boat broke from the mooring ball.

SANDY'S WAY from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. The boat is now aground on the western side of the bay.

Another boat, CELEBRIAN from Goderich, Canada, will break away soon. The line to the bouy has been chafing.

If you want me to do anything with these two boats get back to me. I do not want to go aboard without permission.
newlazydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 11:52   #2

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Re: Treasure Cay. Boat adrift.

If I was the boat owner with the chafing line, I'd hope and expect a fellow cruiser to add a second pennant, even if I did not know about the problem. Leave a boat card and note in the cockpit and I'm sure you'll receive abundant thanks upon their return. As to the grounded boat ... well that is another kettle of fish ... although is that boat at risk of a Bahamian salvage claim or being stripped? I'd ask the marina office for contact information.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 22:37   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I agree with the above post. Sister the chafing line. Use an old line you don't care if you never see it again. Leave a message for the owner. He'll get it or he won't, but you'll have the satisfaction of having done a good deed, either way. What goes around comes around.

For the one on the beach, go through the marina. Let the marina give the owner your contact details.

Ann
Old 19-07-2020, 22:58   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I agree with the above post. Sister the chafing line. Use an old line you don't care if you never see it again. Leave a message for the owner. He'll get it or he won't, but you'll have the satisfaction of having done a good deed, either way. What goes around comes around.

For the one on the beach, go through the marina. Let the marina give the owner your contact details.

Ann

I have gone aboard a boat dragging anchor towards a coral coastline in the Bahamas, figured out how to start the engine, attempting to re-anchor, giving up and then attaching her to a mooring.
I have ran over a mile downwind in the pitch black windy night in the Tuamotus to retrieve a loose dingy. Barely received a thank you for one but received valuable beer and profuse thanks from the other. No matter, you always go and expect others to do the same for you.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 06:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 512 51 feet 6inches

Re.
SANDY'S WAY from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Last evening three Bahamians and myself re-floated the boat and put it back on a mooring.

Re.

CELEBRIAN. As I have heard nothing back I will put another line on the boat this morning.
newlazydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 06:46   #6

Boat: Pearson 367

Well done!
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 07:02   #7

I once watched a boat dragging anchor (unoccupied) into a three boat raft also anchored (unoccupied). I trespassed onto the dragging boat, put out fenders the length of the boat, and rafted the dragging boat onto the rafted boats.

Let all parties come to me and complain.

You have a choice, let them continue to both be in peril and potentially be a hazzard to those around them, or trespass and save the property of the owner and those around them. I would think the travesty would be to stand by and watch with the position of "I don't want to get involved".
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:24   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Good that you acted!!

Saving someone's boat is always a good deed.
If many do it that way, it might be your boat which gets saved one day.

I think helping should be a natural choice. Nothing to expect rewards or honor for.

If one gets a reward for it it's nice and I would feel one should give a small reward as thank you.but never expect it.

Still, I also see that some folks are scared of the lawyers...
Old 20-07-2020, 08:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

If one gets a reward for it it's nice and I would feel one should give a small reward as thank you.but never expect it.
Agreed. I caught a boat dragging into me last year. Nobody aboard. I threw out fenders and rafting him alongside us. When they came back, they were so gracious they gave me an unopened bottle of scotch.

My normal salvage 'charge' for a dragging boat is a cold beer for every hand involved. (Sometimes they're not always cold......or a brand we like).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:37   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 43

On behalf of all cruisers, THANKS FOR YOUR ACTIONS!!!
Hopefully the owners will get contacted and will appreciate your efforts to secure their assets.
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:09   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

It depends on the legal system of the country where you are.

In some countries it is OK and normal to go onboard another boat, in others it is not.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:17   #12

Boat: Hylas 44

Here’s what I found from the Canadian vessels registration query:

SANDY’S WAY
NameVICTOR JOHN THERRIEN
Address 87 HIGHBURY ROAD
CityNEW MINAS
CountryCANADA
Postal CodeB4N 3P9
NameSANDRA ANN THERRIEN
Address 87 HIGHBURY ROAD
CityNEW MINAS
CountryCANADA
Postal CodeB4N 3P9

CELEBRIAN
ROBERT STEPHEN MCGUFFIN
Address 26 - 76582 JOWETT'S GROVE RD
SS1
CityBAYFIELD
CountryCANADA
Postal CodeN0M 1G0

Here is the link:
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur...rations/search

Thank you for your good deed!
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:23   #13

After a friend and I went aboard a boat, where we knew the owner, and that appeared to be taking on water, and had someone in the marina call the police on us, and after standing with a deputy, for ten minutes, waiting for us to contact the owner (we had to hunt for his phone number), and getting him to call back, to find out if he wanted to press charges, and finally getting him on the phone, and him saying he knew us and everything was all right, I made a vow to myself that I would never get on another boat again, belonging to someone else, no matter what.

And, this was a guy we knew, who we knew was going to thank us, if we ever got a hold of him. Standing there like that, waiting to hear what a stranger wanted to have done with us?

No thanks. That incident cured the Good Samaritan right out of me completely.
Old 20-07-2020, 09:40   #14

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I saved a dragging sailboat headed for a concrete pier. Owner had luckily left keys in the ignition so I re-anchored. Upon return they were surprised to find their boat anchored away from where they had been, but upon hearing the story they were extremely grateful.

Since then if I go ashore I leave keys in the ignition.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 09:43   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I saved a dragging sailboat headed for a concrete pier. Owner had luckily left keys in the ignition so I re-anchored. Upon return they were surprised to find their boat anchored away from where they had been, but upon hearing the story they were extremely grateful.

Since then if I go ashore I leave keys in the ignition.

I have a similar personal rule. If we're anchored, the fume detector stays on (gas engines), keys are in the ignitions, and depending on location, I'll typically leave the plotter on or in standby so it's available for use quickly if needed.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat