Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 05:12   #1

Treasure Cay Abacos - can I day-anchor there by the beach?

We're visiting there on a 48' catamaran and were wondering if it's ok to anchor for a few hours, in 7' of water mid-beach noted on the charts as Sand Banks Bay. We would dinghy in for a few hours to walk the beach and soak in all that turquoise. We were at this beach a couple years ago, but picked up a mooring at the marina on the south side of the cay. Going all the way to that backside adds 9 miles to our passage up to Green Turtle. Is anchoring on the front side locally acceptable?
BrianInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 15:52   #2

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Re: Treasure Cay Abacos - can I day-anchor there by the beach?

Are you talking about the crescent shaped beach on the north shore near the Treasure Cay marina from which you can gaze across the Sea of Abaco towards Green Turtle? I was there last year and saw very few boats at anchor off the beach, but those doing so were successful. As to me, we anchored in the bay which you pass through to access the marina at Treasure Cay (very well protected and good holding) and walked the less than one mile to the beach (which is spectacular !!!)
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, anchor