Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2021, 10:41   #1

Trawler to Sail

While I recognize I'm going against the tide with our planned transition from a lifetime of power boating to sailing I'm looking forward to the experience and learning from others on this forum. I'm planning to start out small and see where we end up with an eye on the ever ticking clock (not getting younger). Since my wife is basically "done with boating" I recognize I will be solo most of times out on the bay and any future increase in boat LOA would be limited to single handling.

Our most recent boating experience includes three smaller Nordhavn's and one Helmsman trawler. We have enjoyed living aboard "part time" periodically the past 15 years but work and life kept us from taking the longer voyages desired despite having the right boat. As they say to make a boat work you need the time, health and funds. I guess two out three is not all that bad.

So after a year of researching what type of boat is right for me (or us) I used the same 90% rule which has worked so well the past 30 years on power boats to arrive at a 15' Sandpiper by Marshall Marine in Maine. The primary reason I chose this boat was its large Beam to LOA ratio. Having owned a Gig Harbor 10' rowing dingy which we also had an electric OB mounted we learned very quickly how narrow boats lack the stability we both prefer. With most sailboats being narrow by design (not an issue with larger boats) I was concerned the smaller boats would feel unstable and my wife (Maria) would not ever come aboard. I also liked the single sail and reported ease of sailing. Since I plan to trailer the boat it needed to fit in the garage and be simple to launch with its hinged folding mast this boat appears to check all the boxes.

I have read enough to understand that Cat Boats in general do not sail well up wind but for learning I think this is something I can deal with. We are having a custom designed Torqueedo 3HP OB side mounted and that can be removed while under sail. I selected the "open" design due to the small LOA and to provide maximum interior space. While I'm not crazy about the Center Board in the middle of the cockpit I realize if we want to trailer the boat I don't have an option (all boats are a compromise). We also purchased a new Honda Ridgeline with AWD for towing and launching the boat so I feel good about returning to towing and dealing with launch ramps at low tide

Last month when I made the decision to build the boat I was ready to send in the deposit and wait six months until spring for the boat to arrive. Then a couple of weeks later after talking with Geoff about the options and specific hull color we desired he sends me a photo of a new boat built for a boat show in the same custom color and similar options. I decided "close enough" and signed the contract. Assuming everything goes as planned we expect to have the boat to be delivered to San Diego by Christmas. Needless to say we (OK, I'm) a little excited to start a new journey and see where it takes me. Looking forward to raising the sail and experiencing only the sound of the breeze pushing us along at 4-5 knots. Just hope the training goes smooth and I don't crash into anyone or anything....

Appreciate any input on starting out..

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 11:18   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Trawler to Sail

If you are looking for more small boat advice, I would stop over here as well:

https://forum.trailersailor.com/
Old 31-10-2021, 11:21   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

If you are learning to sail and are starting small (goof plan) get a Laser. Sail it twice a month, 3hr at a time for a year then sell the boat and move up.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 17:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
If you are looking for more small boat advice, I would stop over here as well:

https://forum.trailersailor.com/
Thank you for providing this link, looks like the right place for us to ask questions and already signed up.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, trawler